Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Reading vs. watching TV

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is universally accepted that reading is better than watching TV. I have friends though, that will say that certain TV is just as good, TV that makes you imagination turn on or that makes you think, or educates you. I saw a quote that said, "Rich people have big libraries, poor people have big TVs". I started reading and no doubt it makes me 'feel' better although I really don't enjoy it.

Is there something scientific about using your eyes to read words off a page? That's different than using your eyes to see images on a screen? Is it like, the blue light or something that makes it worse/better? I've never gotten this.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
I think reading is more active because you are digesting it line by line. Watching tv is arguably more passive as you just sit there and listen and watch.

A book can also have a lot more detail than a tv show. Stuff on tv is probably more watered-down to meet the time constraints of the program.

But if you don’t enjoy reading, then don’t force it. If you prefer TV or online videos, then go with that. Learning is still learning.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting point. I've wondered about this sometimes myself. Certainly from a physical standpoint, I don't see much difference. Sitting for long periods of time is unhealthy, and some people spend all their free time reading, can't be good. If you sit and read for four hours or watch TV for four hours, chances are you're passing up something else you could be accomplishing.

Of course, there is reading to educate yourself on a topic, that's a little different. And I also think there is such a thing as "quality" TV, which can be artistic, thought provoking, or educational.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Our brain processes visual imagery and text in different ways. When you are reading text, you are actively using your brain to construct an image. When you are watching TV, you are passively absorbing information. It is also easier to brainwash people through television - for example, you can use attractive actors to promote certain ideas or behaviours. It also does not help that television shows are generally designed to appeal to people of below average intelligence (because television depends on ad revenue and ads are, by definition, targeted at stupid people who can't think for themselves and need someone else to tell them what to buy).

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good answers. Reading, for me
Reading generally has better or more informative content.
can get very distinctive or descriptive, where the author LEVELS with you about reality of human nature. You pick up little distinctions (about characters) that you never would have thought of say, for instance, in a biography. The author has spent a year maybe more RESEARCHING for a book. He's been "reading" and putting the puzzles of this person together, and the author may speculate about motives and habits or uncanny thinking or methods of a character that you didn't even know existed - ways for people to think/act as well as hypocrisies and vice, swindling (how they do it), chicanery. I like how a good author Delves into forces underneath an event, a person, a certain chain of events. Authors from half a century or more ago explained superstitions or supernatural in ways I've never thought about and I believe more people Believed in a that awareness as a common walk through life, omens, physics or earthy interference with a person's fate, and whether there is such a thing as "fate" or "destiny." TVs movies and such, have to streamline the content to make it watchable. You lose a lot of distinctions that grip your mind while reading. Epiphanies. Understanding. Reflection. You can pause while reading and think about meaning more while the movie just keeps on going. It's a chewing you can't get watching/listening to something.

R

Ranger

Our brain processes visual imagery and text in different ways. When you are reading text, you are actively using your brain to construct an image. When you are watching TV, you are passively absorbing information. It is also easier to brainwash people through television - for example, you can use attractive actors to promote certain ideas or behaviours. It also does not help that television shows are generally designed to appeal to people of below average intelligence (because television depends on ad revenue and ads are, by definition, targeted at stupid people who can't think for themselves and need someone else to tell them what to buy).
Indeed. Reading is an interactive action. Reading stimulates different parts of mind/brain.
I can read or listen to a book for hours and feel refreshed. If you notice people watching TV they start slumping and falling into their chairs or couch. It’s pure stimulous.
I read some good science on this. I will try to find it again and post it.

Pierra

Banned
Reaction score
I like both reading and watching..I can't say that some of these things is better.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reading seems to me more interactive, using more of my brain, more thought-provoking, and educational. Television is for when I don't feel like doing these things. (Exceptions, some educational shows, documentaries, etc. or an excellent film.)

Plus, there are a lot of great books out there. There's not a lot of good TV.

alx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Educational shows can inspire interest in e.g. the solar system by showing images of distant planets, but if you actually want to know the equations that govern the planet's movement, you need to look it up in a book. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to read the whole book, just the bit you want to learn.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah. I got rid of cable tv about ten years ago, and I don’t really miss it.

But I will never run out of good books.
What books would you recommend man? I’m always looking for new books to read. A Red Pilled Man should always be reading imo

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
What books would you recommend man? I’m always looking for new books to read. A Red Pilled Man should always be reading imo
Hey man.

Great question. I don’t really do recommendations because my interests and preferences might be different than yours. I respect red pill, but it’s not really my cup of tea to study.

But I’ll list what I either have read recently or am currently reading.

Interpersonal Skills:

“How to Talk to Anyone 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Business” by Leil Lowdnes

Motivational:

“Discipline Equals Freedom” by Jocko Willink

“The 50th Law” by Greene and 50cent

“Laws of Success” by Napoleon Hill

“No Excuses” by Brian Tracy

Women/dating:

“Why Women Have Sex” by Meston

For STEM geeks:

“Feynman Lectures on Physics” by R. Feynman

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man.

Great question. I don’t really do recommendations because my interests and preferences might be different than yours. I respect red pill, but it’s not really my cup of tea to study.

But I’ll list what I either have read recently or am currently reading.

Interpersonal Skills:

“How to Talk to Anyone 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Business” by Leil Lowdnes

Motivational:

“Discipline Equals Freedom” by Jocko Willink

“The 50th Law” by Greene and 50cent

“Laws of Success” by Napoleon Hill

“No Excuses” by Brian Tracy

Women/dating:

“Why Women Have Sex” by Meston

For STEM geeks:

“Feynman Lectures on Physics” by R. Feynman
Cool! I read a lot of books like this, but I read a lot of fiction as well.