Quitting Smoking for a girl.....display of weakness?

Raoul Duke

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi fellow DJs,

Been seeing this girl for a couple of months now and her interest level is very high, although shes told me that my smoking makes me smell and wont kiss me or anything till i have some gum or clean my teeth.

I do actually want to quit smoking and being told that i smell because of it by a girl im very attracted to has increased my desire to quit.

However the thing Im a bit worried about is that i dont want her to think ive quit for her and therefore think she has 'the power'. What do you guys reckon?

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Raoul Duke said:
Hi fellow DJs,

Been seeing this girl for a couple of months now and her interest level is very high, although shes told me that my smoking makes me smell and wont kiss me or anything till i have some gum or clean my teeth.

I do actually want to quit smoking and being told that i smell because of it by a girl im very attracted to has increased my desire to quit.

However the thing Im a bit worried about is that i dont want her to think ive quit for her and therefore think she has 'the power'. What do you guys reckon?
No, its not displaying weakness, if you convey it right.

You are doing it because you have gotten an excuse to get off your ass and actually quit. Thats what you need to convey.

Not, Oh sh!t better do what she says or she'll leave me.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a good excuse for all you weak-willed chumps smoking who "can't quit".

Cremasta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This isn't the forum to preach to you about why you should quit smoking... but why would you rather smoke than get with some HB?

You're looking a better health and regular sex with a girl you like and you're worried about 'the power'?

Why wouldn't you want to let the girl know you've quit for her... let her brag about it, big deal. A girl only has 'power' over you if you let her, if she steps over the line, let her know about it.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it is your desire to seize the habit of smoking, just do it. In the process of quiting, don't have her in mind or thinking you're quiting because "she told me to do so". Simply do it for your own good.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL! I quit smoking for a girl once. I started back up when we split. I look back on it now and I couldn't believe that I actually did this to please a woman. What really makes it rediculous is she married a smoker.

Your intentions are good, but I'm not sure about the motivation behind it. If you're wanting to quit not just because of this girl, but because it's expensive, it makes you smell funny, and it's no good for your health, then by all means work at it.

But if you're doing it solely to make her happy, then don't bother. If your smoking isn't pissing her off, something else about you will.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen bro My X LTR of 4 years didn't smoke and I smoked. I wanted to quit so I told her hey listen I want to quit smoking and your going to help me. If I am with you and I want to smoke, don't let me smoke. So whenever we went out when I wanted to light up she would throw a hissy fit. I quit smoking for a long time, and started working out. Now I am just a social smoker.

Listen dude if she wants you to quit than just quit. Hit the gym, I work in the medical field and I see people in there 40's with emphysema. I feel much better now that I am not a habitual smoker.

After you quit smoking you will feel a sense of achievement. There is nothing AFC about being healthy, having white teeth, and smelling better.

BEST OF LUCK:up:

Juan_Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wish my dad would quit smoking for my mom.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quit for yourself not for a girl.
WTF is up with guys joining the gym for a girl, quitting "so and so " for a girl. Do sh!t for yourself, not others. And this applies for all people not just girls, you do things in this world for yourself not to please other people.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a good excuse for all you weak-willed chumps smoking who "can't quit".
Spoken with the authority only an 18 year old can possess.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why does it matter who you quit for if its going to hugely impact your health in a positive way?

Scorched

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know a guy who started smoking twice because he'd be dating a girl who smokes.

I like lookyoung's idea about "I'm going to quit, I might need your help." You might want to come up with logical reasons why, so she doesn't think it is for her. Hell join a gym and then say, "I had to stop smoking for the gym." IF SHE ASKS. ha...

I seriously wouldn't stress about her opinion though.

Good Luck

Mental

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Raoul Duke said:
Hi fellow DJs,

Quit smoking for yourself. Quitting smoking for a woman is a BAD idea; you'll be more likely to go back once she's gone. Do it for yourself.

Do it because if you smoke a pack in a week you've lost (at the least) roughly $110.00 a year. With more expensive brands, you're spending at least $200.00 to $250.00 a year.

If you smoke only a pack a day, thats anywhere from $700.00 to $2,000 a year, not counting Uncle Sam's share with taxes.

If you can't stop smoking for your own health (the best reason I can think of), then do it for the money you'll save. Do it for the fact that you will stink less (yes, that might get you a woman). How much better your clothes will smell.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Raoul Duke said:
Hi fellow DJs,

If you are doing something that is going to make YOUR health/fitness/intellect/etc. better...then, does it matter if you are doing it for a girl? After all...YOU are the winner!

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm quitting right now, so I started tallying the money up too.

I've been spending about 100 dollars, give or take, a month on cigarettes. Over the course of a month that's not too much money, but if I put 3 bucks a day in a jar, at the end of the year I could probably buy something really cool

The real question here is do the ends justify the means. Is it sufficient that you quit smoking, or is it only good so long as you do it for the right reasons.

I don't think the ends wholly justify the means. Mainly for reasons stated already; if you just quit for her, you'll probably start when you break up.

I would make sure that I was quitting because of the health benefits primarily. But there's no shame in letting her know that her urging gave you that last little "bump" you needed to cross over into the realm of non-smokers. I know I would personally let her know that she had some influence, but in the end I did it because I wanted to.

But you do what you want

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Intentions mean nothing. Actions are what count. Quitting smoking sends a message to your body and mind on many levels that your health is important and that translates immediately into neurological changes that will improve your attitude and state of mind.

faisal

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is indeed a display of weakness. Go blow smoke in that girls face.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
faisal said:
This is indeed a display of weakness. Go blow smoke in that girls face.
This is childish. I am an avid cigar smoker and I have made my intentions quite clear that I will not quit smoking cigars but I am respectful of thier space. If she chooses not to partake in my smoking pleasure I do it in comfort away from her. But smoke I will.

Also, I've yet to meet a woman who isn't willing to smoke a good premium cigar and enjoy the experience thoroughly once I've taught them about the nuances of them.

faisal

Don Juan
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
This is childish. I am an avid cigar smoker and I have made my intentions quite clear that I will not quit smoking cigars but I am respectful of thier space. If she chooses not to partake in my smoking pleasure I do it in comfort away from her. But smoke I will.

Also, I've yet to meet a woman who isn't willing to smoke a good premium cigar and enjoy the experience thoroughly once I've taught them about the nuances of them.
Try weed. It's way better.