Quit smoking cigarettes - cold turkey!

HGKnights

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've pretty much kicked my smoking habit after 12 years of being addicted!

After I had gotten sick the last time, I used it as motivation to quit (since I don't really like smoking with a sore throat). I'd often try and replace my smoking times with drinking water, and if I could find the opportunity, by doing jumping jacks or push ups.

It was very very difficult the first couple days, but it gradually gets easier and easier.I feel a lot better, breath a lot easier and I don't really understand why I was ever addicted in the first place!

Any other success stories or almost successful stories with kicking the habit?

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For me, I was a light smoker, just casually for 16ish to 18. When I was 18 I started smoking a lot more until about one year ago, at 21. How I quit was I took 4mg of those nicotine lozenges and still smoked. Instead of smoking and inhaling the entire drag, I'd take a big *puff* and blow out all of it except a little bit, and inhale the little bit of smoke. It didn't take long for my lungs to not be able to take a full drag. I stopped the lozenges after a month or two. Was cake for me. I never had an addictive personality.

I figure it worked for me because I was still getting my nicotine fix from lozenges, and still getting the taste from puffing, and still getting the hand movements from puffing, until my lungs recovered and couldn't take in smoke anymore. And naturally, my body didn't want smoke. Also naturally, my body didn't care for the nicotine after a while from lozenges. The craving just went away.

Honestly, I still "smoke" with my friend. I just puff and never inhale. Maybe sometimes I take a small small amount of smoke in on purpose, no biggie. It's not feeding the monster.

I don't even have a craving for it when I'm stressed.

Sad thing is, my older brother got me into it, and wanted to quit, so I decided I'll quit too, so when we hang out, I won't be influencing him. He gave me the idea to use lozenges, but I think e became addicted to lozenges also. He's been smoking since he was 17, and is now 25. Ironic thing is we both are in healthcare fields.

imarockstar

Don Juan
Reaction score
I quit last year, I used nicotine patches. I went about 8 months and then I had one, and it really wasn't what I expected. It felt really weird smoking again. I still have one on average once every couple months. I don't know why, usually alcohol is involved. It makes me stink though, makes my breath taste bad, and it usually is not that enjoyable. I guess you could call me a very minimal social smoker nowadays. All I can say to anyone is DO NOT TAKE CHANTIX. I've heard nothing but bad about that stuff. I did patches for a couple weeks and then the following 2 weeks were a little tough but I was also very busy enjoying the positive side effects (not coughing up a long in the morning, breathing easier, smelling better, feeling just overall good about myself). After about a month you are good to go, and this is coming from someone who smoked for 7 years, about 15-20 cigs a day.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HGKnights said:
I've pretty much kicked my smoking habit after 12 years of being addicted!

After I had gotten sick the last time, I used it as motivation to quit (since I don't really like smoking with a sore throat). I'd often try and replace my smoking times with drinking water, and if I could find the opportunity, by doing jumping jacks or push ups.

It was very very difficult the first couple days, but it gradually gets easier and easier.I feel a lot better, breath a lot easier and I don't really understand why I was ever addicted in the first place!

Any other success stories or almost successful stories with kicking the habit?
Dont ever take even ONE drag ever again! Thats what gets you hooked again. Dont be like imarockstar (or me in the past, for that matter). I did that number several times the last few years. It doesnt work. Sooner or later, the smoking comes more and more frequently, and then you'll end up buying a pack. I've been there. Cold turkey works, and remind yourself that the next time you take even ONE drag... it will cost you 30,000 dollars buying cigarettes for the rest of your life. Dont be a slave to those things, not even once every two months. Just NEVER turn back. I have not even jonesed for a smoke ONCE since I quit two years ago. I quit cold turkey, and gave my roomate my last three packs in my carton, and that wast that. Even, in the bar, i dont get the slightest craving at all.

Dont make the mistake of saying, "I'll just take one drag to remind myself why I quit." That turns into just one cigarette, and the addiction sneaks back up on you, and before you know it, you're a full on smoker again.

HGKnights

Don Juan
Reaction score
horaholic said:
Dont ever take even ONE drag ever again! Thats what gets you hooked again. Dont be like imarockstar (or me in the past, for that matter). I did that number several times the last few years. It doesnt work. Sooner or later, the smoking comes more and more frequently, and then you'll end up buying a pack. I've been there. Cold turkey works, and remind yourself that the next time you take even ONE drag... it will cost you 30,000 dollars buying cigarettes for the rest of your life. Dont be a slave to those things, not even once every two months. Just NEVER turn back. I have not even jonesed for a smoke ONCE since I quit two years ago. I quit cold turkey, and gave my roomate my last three packs in my carton, and that wast that. Even, in the bar, i dont get the slightest craving at all.

Dont make the mistake of saying, "I'll just take one drag to remind myself why I quit." That turns into just one cigarette, and the addiction sneaks back up on you, and before you know it, you're a full on smoker again.
I am well aware bud. This was not my first attempt at trying to kick the habit, and I usually got re-hooked on smoking in years past because of the exact thing you said. But I'm wiser than I was back them, and I don't plan on looking back.

I'm no longer desperate for a smoke when I've been drinking or at the bar. It seems like my hangovers are less severe simply because I've cut that **** out of my life!

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive been using an electronic cigarette for 4 weeks, and I haven't smoked areal cigarette since. Apparently, i am getting nicotine(which scientifically, is probably no worst than caffeine in small doses) delivered through water vapor and not the tar and other yucky stuff. I know its not the same as flat out quitting but I guess its the closest thing to "Eating my cake and having it too"..

Until they tell us the E-Cigs are 10x worst than the real ones, then im screwed.