"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Quick tip for building confidence

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
952
Reaction score
1
Age
49
Location
UK
Keep this in mind:

You are not a part of anybody's life, events or your surroundings. They are part of YOUR existence. How and if you choose to interract with them is upto you.

The most important thing in your life is you. If something troubles you, don't try to change the problem, change your perception of it. As long as you can control your mind, nothing can faze you.
 
Last edited:

"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

gav

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
3
cheers for reminding me dirtheart

but

i'm still caught in the middle of trying to please others instead of myself, although now it's only the alphas i try to please. i don't know why but i feel i need their fvcking approval even though i know it is sooo wrong; kills me. i mean my opinion about myself and my actions should be the only thing that matters, right?- Not theirs.

Well, i can't strengthen my opinions enough about myself for some reason and feel like i am who others tell me i am.


can anyone explain this also?- i've heard a lot of people on this forum saying on the one hand "focus on yourself and watch every step you take gain more importance" while they also say but "don't think the world revolves around you. it doesn't. u are nothing and nobody cares what you do."

what's the deal with this contradiction?

cheers
 

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
952
Reaction score
1
Age
49
Location
UK
The world doesn't revolve around you, but your life does.

I had the exact same problem of trying to please others and judging myself through their eyes and, relied on compliments to determine if I felt good about myself and insults would cripple me.

Learn from your personal experiences, pay attention to advice or criticism, keep an open mind, but never lose sight of who you are and who you want to be.

An old friend of mine always used to say "If people don't like the way I am, they can get out of my way." He's not rich, successful or a super stud, but he's such a genuinely nice person, everybody loves his company, he is now happily married and, above all, he has always been the most contented person I've ever known.

He measured his success by what made him happy and I think that's the best way to live. Don't let society or others dictate your life.
 

gav

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
3
Originally posted by Dirtheart
"If people don't like the way I am, they can get out of my way."
i can't believe after all the stuff on here recently, i missed out the importance of that

cheers man
 

niteguy2003

Don Juan
Joined
Aug 21, 2003
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Age
47
Location
Tampa, FL
Right on Dirtheart!!! Through out my life I always wondered what other people thought of me. It lowered my confidence and I had no self worth because I always thought that people were judging me and what not. Then I realized you know what.... I am me and that is who I am, if nobody likes me and they judge me when they don't even get to know me.... Then I say Fvck em!!!

-Jeremy
 

"She Made Her Decision Before You Finished Your Sentence"

Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.

She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.

Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.

So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.

The words come later. The impression comes first.

Read more...

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
952
Reaction score
1
Age
49
Location
UK
Exactly the way to go!

I got to a stage where I'd worry so much about what others thought I couldn't even take a compliment without analysing its sincerity. If someone told me I'm good looking, witty etc, I'd start thinking it was because they were being kind and were trying to lift my spirits.

I know better now. If a woman compliments me, it means she wants me. :D

But seriously, I know I'm a good person, I know I have a lot going for me, and who can I trust more than myself?
 

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
546
Reaction score
1
it's only natural to want others to like you, and learning how to make friends is a good skill to have. However, the most important person you need to impress is yourself. Do you like yourself? If not, then change whatever it is that you don't like about yourself.
 

Spike_the_cowboy

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
879
Reaction score
0
Age
49
Location
Earth
Be suave and prosper~

The force is strong with you, Dirtheart.

:cool:
 
Top