Post your numbers

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just out of interest, are folks here natty or enhanced? I keep an eye on other peoples lifts and I’ve rarely seen men squatting 2 plates a side, but it’s not a meathead gym.
I am lifetime natty.

5’7, 160 lbs.

Bench - 250 lb
Squat - 350 lb
Deadlift - 425 lb

those were my 1RM. I am an ectomorph. I haven’t maxed out in about 5 years. Though I still train regularly.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can I suggest running Phraks Greyskull LP until your numbers plateau for 2-3 weeks? This is to get you a good baseline of strength in every primary movement pattern your body has... it is an excellent starting point for powerlifting or hypertrophy goals.

From there, I suggest 531 or Westside Conjugate for strength goals.
Or
DoggCrapp, then Fortitude or Trained By Jordan Peters for hypertrophy.

Keep your protein up, it'll help spare muscle during a cut. Aim for 1g/lb BW (2.2 g/kg BW). This number stays the same whether cutting or bulking.
If you haven't been properly trained on your powerlifts, check out these.
Bench
Squat
Deadlift

I just lifted like an idiot for over a decade. Don't be like me, learn the movement, then add strength.
I’ve been running the same programme for a while (2x 8-10) squat, deadlift, OHP, row, lat PD, lat raise, BP.

I seem to be doing more moves than greyskull. Will it actually improve on it?

im thinking of doing grey skull. I like the rep to failure. I like low reps too, don’t like long reps.

Worth changing what I’m doing?

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been running the same programme for a while (2x 8-10) squat, deadlift, OHP, row, lat PD, lat raise, BP.

I seem to be doing more moves than greyskull. Will it actually improve on it?

im thinking of doing grey skull. I like the rep to failure. I like low reps too, don’t like long reps.

Worth changing what I’m doing?
Your strength will increase fastest with Phraks due to the low reps and progression model.

You can add in any extra exercises you want, so long as they do not negatively impact your performance on the Phraks lifts.

If you aren't adding 5lbs to the bar on your big lifts each time you train - I believe Phraks will be a better program for you at this time. That doesn't mean your current program doesn't work, it's just a matter of which is a better tool for the job.

If your big 3 are totalling 1,000lb or more, I believe something other than Phraks may be a better call.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Going to ask you a question I don't want you to answer. Is the goal of your training to lift smaller weights many times, or to lift bigger weights and get bigger muscles?
I assume it's the latter of those two. Volume isn't the goal, it's the multiplier.
* The goal for Hypertrophy is proximity to failure (and increasing Mechanical Tension (load)). Ideally, reaching actual failure.
* The goal for Strength training is, well, lifting heavier weights.
* Neither of which rely on volume.

Volume does play a role, but only as a tool to help you achieve heavier weights, or more sets to failure. I only do about 4 sets to failure per muscle, per week and have still been getting significant results from it. My coach is having me run a program starting at 4 sets per muscle per week and that will undulate up to 16 sets to failure per muscle per week, then I will have a nearly 2 week deload to recover from it. I don't recommend this approach for you (or most folks here), but this is just to give you an idea of what the purpose of Volume is.

So I'm going to reframe training a bit.
* You have Main Work (Bench, Row, Overhead Press, Pull Ups, Squats, and Hinge (Deadlifts)).
* And then you have Accessory Work (literally everything else).

For your Main Work, are you adding 5lbs to every main lift - each time you train? Are you at least adding 5lbs per week per lift? If not, then I'd say you are putting in a lot of effort and not getting a lot of results from it (no offense, truly).

The goal of Phraks is to get your Main Lifts big and strong, and it is not a forever program. You should be adding 5lbs to every lift, every time you train... so less volume, but more progress.

Phraks Greyskull LP will be your Main Work, but you can still add Accessory Work such as Biceps, Abs, Pec Deck/Reverse Peck Deck, Forearms, Calves, Quads, Hams, etc. The thing with Accessory Work is that you can do as much of it as you want - so long as it is not interfering with the progress on your main work. So yes, Phraks may only take you 25 minutes in the gym - make sure you have >75% of your effort being put into those 3 lifts.

I also only recommend running Phraks until you don't see strength gains for 2-3 weeks (assuming Accessory Work has not interfered) in more than half your lifts. Really, you care about Squats, Bench, and Deadlifts - but you would do well to be strong in the rest of those lifts anyways.

Training does not need to change (and probably shouldn't change - dance with the girl you brought with ya) whether bulking or cutting, just give yourself extra leniency on lack of strength gains when cutting.
sorry you’ve already given me a very good answer on this question.

I am doing Phraks from now. Need a change. Thanks pal.

might need a bit of advice from time to time so grateful for support.

I am keeping it simple now:

- Do phraks and hit it hard as I can
- Eat 500 cal deficit
- Eat min 170g protein per day
- 100g carbs a day
- Sleep well
- Drink water

No need to overcomplicate it.

this may be interrupted by a cheat twice a month (brandy in moderate volume with steak and fries). I need something to keep me sane. Will make up the difference with cardio the next morning!

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sorry you’ve already given me a very good answer on this question.

I am doing Phraks from now. Need a change. Thanks pal.

might need a bit of advice from time to time so grateful for support.

I am keeping it simple now:

- Do phraks and hit it hard as I can
- Eat 500 cal deficit
- Eat min 170g protein per day
- 100g carbs a day
- Sleep well
- Drink water

No need to overcomplicate it.

this may be interrupted by a cheat twice a month (brandy in moderate volume with steak and fries). I need something to keep me sane. Will make up the difference with cardio the next morning!
Hit me up anytime, man! I'm private is always fine if you prefer.