Perry's Food and Workout Journal

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
I finally decided to make a food log. This has been overdue for awhile now. I've known for a long time now that having a food log is the best way to determine how many calories and macronutrients I'm getting so I can reach my goals easier. Whether my goal at any giving time is gaining, cutting, or maintaining weight. For the last few years, I have been became health conscious and developed a passion for nutrition. I enjoy working out, but it has always been something that has been off and on with me. The old, workout for 4 months, stop for 4 months kind of thing.

This food log will also keep me in line and help me avoid unhealthy foods. About 2 years ago, I developed horrible anxiety when it came to food. Whenever I ate something that was unhealthy, I would feel sick. Of course, when some people eat unhealthy foods, they feel sick afterwards. Other people may not get that feeling. I think it comes down to how those people generally eat, whether they usually eat healthy or not. Anyways, I digress. For example, if I ate a bunch of oreo cookies one night, I would feel nauseous and once in awhile have these mini panic attacks, sometimes full on panic attacks. This is why I became so interested in nutrition, because I had to eat healthy or else face the consequences.... Its all in mind head, (for the most part) but I've yet to learn how to beat it, nor care to anymore as long as I eat well. Story over, for now. Point is.....

Along with my food log, I'm also going to post my activities in here as well. I don't have a gym membership right now, but will hopefully get one soon. In terms of weightlifting, I currently do this (sigh) DB curl routine...and thats it. Pretty pathetic, I know. However, starting this log will help me incorporate more weightlifting exercises into my routine. First update will come tomorrow night.

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not gonna record how many grams/cups of stuff I eat and the macro nutrient and calorie breakdown of my food, yet. Im just gonna start off small, one step at a time.

11 A.M. Peach
11:45 A.M. Homemade meatball sandwich on wheat bread. 5 meatballs, spinach, garlic, onion, tomato. Plus a multivitamin.
1:30 P.M. Slice of black bean cake (Very dull taste)
3 pm Did 12,30 yard hill sprints. sucked...
5:30 2 cans tuna with salad and slice of bread and sliver of bean cake (I wont eat it anymore)
6:30 25 minute walk
8:30 4x8 db curls w/a few pullups
9:30 3 meatballs w/ green and red pepper slices. And vitamin D supplement

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
10 a.m. 1 Peach
10:15 meal replacement shake and spinach. Plus a multivitamin
11 a.m.-1 p.m. Soccer
2:30 p.m 4 eggs w/ onion, garlic, spinach, tomato and half cup of oatmeal
3:45 pm 1 Pear
8 pm 1 Meatball with macadamia nuts +vitamin D
8:40 pm Recon Pullup Program (RPP) 8,6,5,5,4
9:20 pm 4 meatballs w/ spinach +slice of pizza
12 a.m 2 gram fish oil w/ spinach and 1 egg

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been a nubcake and totally forgot to say what my goal is. My goal is to lose weight or, "cut." I have always wanted to have a visible 6 pack, but have never worked hard enough to actually get it. I realize that if I wanted to get even more serious about it, I would weigh, measure the foods I'm eating, but thats stuff I do not want to get into yet, which I have said previously. Ill weigh myself tomorrow as well.

845 am 1 meatball, 1 egg + meal replacement shake and a multivitamin
930-11:15 am Soccer
11:45 am 1 peach
12:15 pm 2 cans tuna w/ spinach +tomato. 2 servings of cheese and handful of mixed nuts + Vitamin D
1:45 pm a bunch of newton blueberry cookies. They are new and they are delicious.
3-4 pm Soccer
4:45 1 Naner, 1 pear, 1 tomato, 1 Newton cookie + 1/2 bag of 100 calorie alphabet cookies.
5:45 pm 3 celery sticks w 3 TBSP of natural peanut butter
7:40 pm chicken wok w/ broccoli, scallions, and celery
9:45 pm 5x6 35 lbs DB curls RPP 7,6,5,4,4 (realized I had to do this 6 times a week...)
10:40 pm More chicken wok + 2 gram fish oil

I realize that I eat some bad things, but its hard for me to control the cravings. I a lot of good and bad stuff after I workout, so Im going to try and prepare my meals before I workout so that when I finish my workout, I can go straight for the meal instead of scrounging around looking for cookies and such.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know whether you have to go through that stage to get to the one I'm in (very easy to manipulate bf% and weight, healthily), but it seems like you're making it very hard for yourself and thus setting yourself up to fail.

Not really much I can help you with except systems:

1. Tupperware.

Buy 10-20 tupperware containers to put meals in.

2. Cook most of your weekly food on Sunday, and freeze/refrigerate it.

3. If you find yourself craving bad food, then choose the lesser of two evils and stuff yourself full of better food before you normally get the cravings.

ie. if you get cravings for junk around 8pm, then at 7pm eat 3 cups of brown rice and 250g of chicken/meat. You're technically 'overeating', however if I had to choose between overeating on brown rice and chicken vs. a large McCombo at McDonalds to satisfy my craving, you can guess which one to choose if you want to lose bodyfat.

It's a band-aid fix, however after a week or two those cravings should go away.

4. As boring as it sounds, a simpler and more standardized diet will get you to your goals faster.

Find a carb that you like (brown rice, oats, sweet potatoes, apples, etc), find a vegetable that you like (preferably green), and find a protein source that you like (chicken, eggs, steak, ground beef, tuna, etc).

I'll play the game too, as an example:

Protein: Eggs

Carb: Oats

Vegetable: Spinach

Fats: Coconut oil and Fish oil

Cheat Food: Peanut butter

Those are my staple foods. I buy them in bulk from the shops so I never run out, and I ensure that I always have some handy for a quick meal.

I eat other meats, other carbs and fruit, other veggies, and other cheat meals on occasion, however since I love eggs and oatmeal it's very easy to stick to the diet. It's also very easy to grab a fistful of spinach and eat it.

If I get cravings, I reach for the peanut butter jar and demolish it. Is it super-duper healthy? No, but its better than buying a bag of jelly beans or 2L bottle of coke, or a supersized McCombo.

There's all this talk about nutrient rotation, importance of variety and vitamin deficiencies, but in my opinion it's more important to think about that **** once your already on a consistent nutrition program. Farting around with a half-good half-cheat diet equals half-results. If you're really concerned, take a good multivitamin.

Get on a very simple diet, THEN think about broadening your horizons with more variety and neat foods.

Right now I'm eating 6 eggs per day, however when I fall off the rails I simplify my diet and crank the egg intake up to around 24 per day (1850 calories), and make up the rest with oats and fish oil/coconut oil. For cheat food I just get a small spoon and wage war on a jar of peanut butter until I'm full. At night I take 3 fistfulls of spinach and eat it raw.

Once I'm on the rails again, that's when I replace some eggs with chicken, meat and tuna and mix up the oats with brown rice, sweet potatoes and fruit, and make salads instead of just spinach.

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
^ Ill respond more in depth to your post tomorrow, but I do like your gameplan for how you eat. I did what you are currently doing when I was in college with moderate success. I used tupperware, cooked most of my meat on one day of the week, but I just couldn't get myself to gorge on a lot of healthy food than have a small amount of sweets. For the record if I know something has high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils I'll avoid it.

9 am 1 peach
10 am Chicken wok w/ spinach +multivitamin
10:30 am Some newton cookies + 3 stalks of celery +4TBSP of natural pb +Vitamin D
3:40 pm 3 eggs w/ spinach, tomato and more chicken wok and half serving of oatmeal + half slice of bread
4:25 pm 1 peach
4:40 pm 30 min walk
6:30 pm 3 slices of meatloaf w/ caulliflower and broccoli + 2gram of fishoil
10:00 pm RPP 7,6,5,4,4
10:45 pm chicken wok and vegetables

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
3. If you find yourself craving bad food, then choose the lesser of two evils and stuff yourself full of better food before you normally get the cravings.
I did this today with great success. I didn't really have too bad of cravings at all today. I just ate more and more good stuff until I got to the point where eating even a newton cookie sounded bad, since I was already full.

Quiksilver said:
There's all this talk about nutrient rotation, importance of variety and vitamin deficiencies, but in my opinion it's more important to think about that **** once your already on a consistent nutrition program. Farting around with a half-good half-cheat diet equals half-results. If you're really concerned, take a good multivitamin.

Get on a very simple diet, THEN think about broadening your horizons with more variety and neat foods.
I eat a pretty simple diet as is. My meats and veggies are pretty much all the same, fruits vary more than anything else. My staple protein is chicken and eggs, and main carb source is oatmeal, sometimes wheat bread. I get fats from natty pb, cheese, (decent source) nuts, olive oil, (which I keep forgetting to mention) fish oil, thats all I can think of right now. Oh yeah, and I take USANA vitamins so I know they are top quality.

Quiksilver said:
Right now I'm eating 6 eggs per day, however when I fall off the rails I simplify my diet and crank the egg intake up to around 24 per day (1850 calories), and make up the rest with oats and fish oil/coconut oil. For cheat food I just get a small spoon and wage war on a jar of peanut butter until I'm full. At night I take 3 fistfulls of spinach and eat it raw.
Wow. Thats a lot of eggs, the 24 a day I mean. I do that with spinach too sometimes, but randomly throughout the day.

Quiksilver said:
Once I'm on the rails again, that's when I replace some eggs with chicken, meat and tuna and mix up the oats with brown rice, sweet potatoes and fruit, and make salads instead of just spinach.
I'm gonna try and see how this works for me, with your tip included, but if that doesn't work I'll give your method a try. Your way is a bit tougher since I am living at home and the food my mom buys is the food I eat. Theres not a lot of wiggle room when I talk with her about the food she buys... Anyways, I appreciate your input. Heres what I had today...

11:40 am Meal replacement shake
12:40 pm Tabata thrusters. 2 separate sessions. 1st time 20 pounds, second time 10 pounds.
1:20 pm A ton of chicken wok + meatloaf and spinach +1TSP of natty pb
2:20 pm A bunch of watermelon. 4 servings worth is my guess.
3:30 pm 30 minute walk
4:45 pm Meatloaf + 3 celery stalks + 3 TBSP of natty pb
6:25 pm fat grip DB curls 35lbs 6,6,5,5 much tougher than normal curls
6:40 pm A few chicken pieces
9:40 pm RPP 7,6,5,4,4
10 pm 3 eggs w/ 1.5 TBSP of olive oil +salad and 2000 I.U Vit D + 2 gram fish oil
11:30 pm cup of watermelon and cantaloupe

First day since I started this that I didnt have an unhealthy food. I'm gonna try and estimate my meals a bit more rather than say "A lot" or "a bunch" of something all the time.

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
12 pm 1/2 cup oatmeal. 2 cans of tuna +1 cup salad +multivitamin
2:15 pm Tabata thrusters
3:20 pm 4 eggs + 1.5 cups of spinach + garlic, onions, 1 tomato. 2 TSP of natty pb w/ Vit D
4:30 1 Peach
4:45 pm 30 minute walk
710 pm 3 servings of pepper jack cheese + half a green bell pepper
735 pm 3 eggs w/ 1.5 cups of lettuce, spinach and cucumber
8:45 pm tricep extension 57.5 lbs 10,8,8,8,8 RPP 7,6,5,4,4
9:30 pm 1.5 pieces of swordfish. No idea how much it actually is. Maybe 2.5 decks of playing cards worth of fish. 2 cups of cucumbers, squash, and lettuce +2 TBSP of olive oil

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
My thoughts in red.
Thanks for the feedback Espi. I dont know if you read my 4th post, but basically right now I'm trying to cut. Maybe that would change your opinion about adding more simple carbs to my diet? I could see why you would say to consume them before workout though, or during.

I don't see the need to add many more complex carbs such as brown rice, wheat pasta, oatmeal, multigrain bread since I am trying to cut and aren't doing a lot of intense stuff besides tabatas and the other little amount of weight training I'm doing. I'm always going to eat as much as spinach, lettuce, leafy green complex carbs as I want though. Are you suggesting to add even more of these to my diet, like more than the usual 1-2 cups I get for each meal?

I agree with your point about getting protein after my walk though. I need to eat sooner after it, even if it is just a walk. I use to swear by whey after a workout, but right now I'm just trying to eat whole food. We will see how long that lasts once I get back to the gym... Also, point noted about eating the 710 and 730 meal at the same time. I'm curious though, any specific reason why it matters if they are split up by a small time frame? I'm not trying to argue in my post at all if thats how it comes across, just trying to understand where you are coming from.

I understand it will be harder to cut since I'm not full on weight training, YET, which would mean I need to do more cardio/HIIT, or eat less, both are terrible. However, hopefully within the next month and a half I will find a job and get a gym membership. Thats why my tricep ext "only" (well, pullups too I guess) workout seems lame. It's cause I'm working with 2 dumbbells with a limited amount of weight to put on them. I'm going to work up to doing more exercises with them soon though. I've already added tricep ext and pullups since I started this.

I probably should have mentioned this all before, but I didn't think I would have to explain my workout routine yet. I love this kind of stuff so I always enjoy talking about it.
When I go back to the gym, I'm thinking I want to go with Bill Starr's 5x5 program. I've always been more interested in strength than size. 5x5 would be cool since the number of reps make it into a mostly strength program with some hypertrophy and also because I've heard great things about it. I probably should have mentioned this all before, but I didn't think I would have to explain my workout routine yet. I love this kind of stuff so I always enjoy talking about it.

Ive been working out on and off for about 4 years. Whenever I get injured or sick for a prolonged period, I lose my interest in lifting once I'm healthy again and find it hard to get back into the workout mindset. Currently, my lower back has been giving me trouble for about 8 months now when I do heavy deads or squats when I put a certain amount of weight on the bar (even front squat). Even my tabata thrusters irritate my back. About 2 months before school got out earlier this year, even with my back issues, I did other exercises that didn't bother it, like BB and DB rows, weighted pullups. I didnt really work my quads, hammy, or calfs though....Damn, I didn't mean to turn this into a blog. End rant/

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
^ That post took forever to write. This is what I had today...

10:10 am 1 Naner
10:45 am 2 cans of tuna. 1.5 cups of lettuce, spinach, half an onion. 1/2 cup of oatmeal
12:40 pm 5 strawberries 2.4 gram of fishoil +Vit D
2:40 pm 3 TBSP of natty pb, 4 eggs w/ 2 cups of spinach, zucchini, squash, garlic and 1 tomato and 1.5 TBSP of olive oil. Virgin. Probably a little too much fat in this meal.
6:00 pm 1 piece of swordfish + 1 cup of lettuce +spinach
6:30 pm 30 minute walk
7:15 pm 5 small pieces of chicken + a 1 cup of spinach
8:40 pm RPP 7,6,5,4,4 tomorrow off
8:50 pm 14 oz (best estimate) of tri-tip 2 cups of peas and green beans +1/4 baked potato.

I'm not sure if I should also say what spices I use with each meal, as I tend to add a decent amount of spices to my food. Is it really worth mentioning each time? For the record though, I usually add about 1 TSP of cinnamon to my oatmeal. I add about 1/2 TSP of turmeric to my eggs and chicken 50% of the time I have them. I add some pepper to just about everything (black and/or crushed red pepper) and put about 1TSP of parsley flakes on my eggs every time.

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 5'10 and weigh 167 lbs.

12 pm 4 eggs w/ 1.5 cups of spinach, garlic, green pepper. 1 tomato and 1 raw carrot. 1 card deck size of tri-tip. 1/2 cup of oatmeal. 2 TBSP of olive oil. 2 TBSP of natty pb. Multivitamin. big breakfast
1:30 pm 1 naner
3 pm 14, 30 yard hill sprints - theres nothing that drains me more
4:30 pm 2 card deck size of tri-tip. 1 cup of spinach, half an onion.
5 pm 1 TBSP of ice cream
5:30 pm 4x12 DB rows 57 lbs 3x 1:10 of planks
6 pm half deck of cards worth of tri-tip + small tomato. would have more PWO but I went out to dinner.
7:30 pm delayed pwo dinner. A delicious chicken crepe w/ a garden salad and a few small pieces of bread. I had a few bites of my parents yogurtland and felt sickkkk. Very naseous. Felt pretty terrible

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
Didnt have time to get on the pc last night so here is what I had yesterday.

930 am piece of tri-tip. 1 small piece of bread. Piece of chiken. 1 TBSP of natty PB.
12:30 pm meal replacement shake
2:15 RPP 8,6,5,5,4 DB curl 35lbs w/ fat gripz. 6x6
3 pm 1 deck of swordfish, 1 deck of tri-tip, 1 cup of spinach. 1 tomato
945 pm 1 subway chicken breast sandwich on 9 grain honey oat.
1030 pm 1 naner and 1 tomato

Today

1030 am 2 decks of chicken, 1 sausage. Half an onion. 1 cup of spinach. 1 TBSP of natty pb. 1/2 cup oatmeal. 2.4 gram fish oil. Multivitamins
1 pm 1 deck of chicken, half a sausage. half a naner. 1 tomato.
3-4 soccer
540 pm 2 decks of chicken. 1/2 cup peas.1/2 cup of spinach. 1 TSP of natty pb. Vitamin D
8 pm sushi dinner w/ rice, ginger, and salad
10pm 3 bites of b-day cake
11:20 pm RPP 8,6,5,5,4
11:35 pm a deck of chicken. 1/2 cup of spinach

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
1130 am 3 eggs w/ spinach, 4 lettuce leaves, garlic, half an onion, 1 tomato. 2 TBSP of olive oil. 1/2 cup oatmeal. Multivitamin. 2 grams fish oil
1:30 pm 4 oz chicken, 1 TBSP of natty pb + Vit D
2:20 pm 1 orange, 3 strawberries
3:30 pm 2 lettuce leaves
4:10 pm tabata thrusters 15lbs 1x 1:30 plank
4:25 pm 3 oz chicken + 1 cup of peas and green beans
6:10 pm 6-8 oz of a hamburger on whole wheat bun w/ 1 tomato, 1/2 cup green beans, 2 lettuce leaves, 1 ear of corn
7:40 pm tricep extension 60lbs 12,10,10,10 2 x 1:20 plank front lateral raises 5x6 20lbs
9:10 pm 4 oz ground beef w/ 2 lettuce leaves, 1 tomato
11:15 pm 3 lettuce leaves + 1.2 gram fish oil

I figured out that 1 deck of cards sized piece of chicken or beef is 3 oz. Starting to evolve a little bit...

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
Too tired to update last night. Heres what I had.

9 am 1 Naner
930 am 8 oz ground beef, 4 lettuce leaves, half a tomato + half an onion. 3 oz chicken, 2 gram fish oil. Mulitvit
12 pm 1 naner, 1 peach
2 pm 5 oz chicken, 2 oz ground beef, 1 serving of cheese, 1.5 TBSP natty pb, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup green beans. VIT D
430pm RPP 8,6,5,5,4
445 pm 3 oz ground beef, 3 oz chicken, 1/2 cup spinach
930 pm 2 protein style in'n'out burgers
10:20 pm 1 chicken crepe

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
10 am 1 peach, 1/2 a kiwi
11 am 3 eggs, half an onion, 1/2 cup of spinach, 1/2 a tomato, garlic. 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 TBSP olive oil, 2TSP of nattypb. 2.4 gram of fishoil
1:50pm Goblet squat 6x15 50lbs supersetted w/ RPP 8,6,5,5,4 DB rows 4x10 60 lbs, DB curls w/fat gripz 35lbs 4x6, 2x1:30 plank
3:20 pm 6 oz ground beef, 4 oz chicken 1/2cup of green beans, 1/2 cup spinach, half a tomato, 8 lettuce leaves
430 pm 15 min walk
6:20 pm 2 raw carrots, 2 TBSP of natty pb
7:30 pm 1 peach, 1/2 a kiwi
9:30 pm 9 oz chicken, 2 cups of spinach, green beans, green pepper and 1.5 cup of salad (lettuce, more spinach, tomato)
11:15 pm 2 lettuce leaves and 2 gram of fish oil (gonna eat this later)

Do you think I would still need to eat soon after the walk Espi, even if it was a quick one?

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
9 am 8 oz chicken, 1.5 cups of spinach, celery, garlic, green pepper, green beans. 1/2 cup oatmeal. 3.6 gram fish oil. Vit D. multivitamins
12:15 pm RPP 8,6,5,5,4
12:45 pm 6 oz chicken, 3/4 cup of spinach, 1/2 cup of green beans and brussel sprouts
2:40 pm tabata thrusters and 6 minutes of bw squats
4 pm 3 eggs w/ 1/2 cup spinach and roasted garlic, 3 lettuce leaves. 1 TBSP of natty pb and 1 TBSP of olive oil
5 pm half an orange, 1 naner, 1 peach
7 pm 2 celery sticks w/ 3 TBSP of natty pb
8 pm 2 oz chicken w 1/2 cup celery +green peppers
8:45 pm 3 oz chicken 1/2 cup spinach, 2 gram fish oil

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Everyone's different, though. I don't know they do it, but some people do just fine with no carbs.
This definitely seems to be the case. When it comes to simple carbs especially, I have learned that some people are able to feel fine after consuming them, while others may feel sluggish and tired. I usually get tired and fall into a food coma, if I consume too much of them.

I feel good so far with my limited carb consumption. I have plenty of energy during the day. What matters the most to me though is how quickly I can lose weight, so I'm going to see where this limited carb eating takes me. If I don't see results eventually, I'll switch things up. What matters is results.

745 am 1 naner, 1 peach
10 am 3 eggs, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 an onion, 1/2 red pepper, 2 oz chicken. 1/2 cup of oatmeal. Multivitamin, 3.6 gram fish oil
11:20 am handful of brussell sprouts and green beans
12 pm 4 oz chicken + 4 lettuce leaves. 1.2 gram fish oil
2:45 pm 2 celery sticks. 2 TBSP of natty pb. 4 oz chicken, 3 servings of cheese
5:45pm 1 pear
6pm 25 minute walk
650pm tricep ext 60lbs 12,12,12,8 Lateral DB raises 5x12 25lbs. plank 2x2:00 1x1:00 bench dips 30,30,25,20 then 100 jump ropes straight to 21, 15 yard sprints
7:55 pm 7-8 oz ground beef, 3/4 of a hamburger bun. 1/2 ear of corn, 3 lettuce leaves, some spinach, 2 oz chicken
930pm 2 celery sticks
1030pm 2 gram fish oil, 2000IU Vit D

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perry are eating the actual Peach? or the actual Peach???

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Perry

Don Juan
Reaction score
9/24/11
845 am 100, 50 jump ropes
855 am naner
9:15 am 2 cans of tuna, 1.5 cups of spinach, 1/2 an onion. Multivitamin. 1/2 TSP of natty pb +Vit D. 2.4 gram fish oil
1:30 pm 1 1/2 chicken quesdillas + 3oz chicken, 4 oz ground beef. 1.5 cups of spinach. 1.5 TBSp of natty pb
445 pm 1 peach, 1 naner, 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
645 pm 3 eggs, cup of spinach. 2 slices of bread, 1 TSP of natty pb
9pm-1 am 7 beers
-Forgot to do RRP today
Edit:

9/25/11
10 am 3/4 cups of oatmeal. 4 oz fish. multivitamin
11:30-1 Soccer
1:40pm 6 inch chicken breast subway sandwich
2-3 Soccer
330 pm 1 pear, 1 naner
415 pm RPP 8,7,5,5,5
4:30 pm 6 inch chicken breast subway sandwich. cup of spinach
530 pm 2 raw acrrots, 7 oz salmon, 2 oz ground beef
8:45 pm 8 oz steak, 1.5 cups of carrots+peas. 3 lettuce leaves, 1 tomato.

I posted my eating/workout routine on tnation and got ragged on pretty hard. Reading the responses motivated me to get gym pass sooner rather than later, like within the next two weeks. Im gonna start posting some real workouts soon.