Pendlay rows don't do it for me

Flabbergasped?

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was working on my back today, and finished a set of 2x8 barbell pendlay rows. As the workout taxed me, my back muscles seemed unscathed, and instead, my arms seems to take the hardest hit. Is there something wrong w/ my form? I bring my arms parallel to my body, and I grip the bar about the same place you would for bench press (middle finger on that little grove, don't know if that's standard or just at my gym).

I don't have access to video equipment. If rows continue to fail me, is there an alternative exercise that will properly substitute under this routine:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444 (OPTION B)

Hoppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Pull your shoulder blades back and stick your ass out as much as possible. Looking up while doing it helps some people.

Ask your workout partner to correct your form.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looking up while doing it helps some people.
Your head should always be as close to a neutral position for a majority of everything you do, including rows.

As for the OP, if you want your back to work more keep your elbows as close to your body as possible. If your taking a wide grip try to touch your elbows together.

Alot of issues for benching translate over to rowing as well. Keep your elbows aligned with your belly button when you start to pull until you develop the ability to feel the specific area your trying to hit.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Think of pulling with your elbows, not your hands. Your arms shouldn't end up "parallel with your body." They should end up behind you as you squeeze your shoulder blades together.

I did pendlay rows yesterday and I definitely don't feel it in my arms.