Outdoors gear - 40% off wholesale!

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep, you heard me... all you have to do is get a job at an outdoors shop! I did, a week or two ago... and couldn't believe some of the crap I found out about employee discounts. I'm not sure if it works the same way with national chains (bass pro, etc... probably not), but with the one I'm at, I can order anything I want direct from the manufacturer for wholesale.

Retail = a 45%-52% markup... so if it costs $50 wholesale, it's around 100 in the store. Good, yes... but it becomes great. Some companies like The North Face offer special 'pro deals' to employees of outdoor shops... so instead of buying at wholesale, you get to buy shoes for 40% less than wholesale, 30% off wholesale for gear and clothes, etc. It's crazy... stuff I could never afford now is barely a dent in my wallet - $300 for a bag? Wholesale's at 150, 30% off of that makes it 105. No tax.

Someone's going to be doing a lot of camping in the near future... already bought myself a kayak... ;) Anyway, just had to share that.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
Yep, you heard me... all you have to do is get a job at an outdoors shop! I did, a week or two ago... and couldn't believe some of the crap I found out about employee discounts. I'm not sure if it works the same way with national chains (bass pro, etc... probably not), but with the one I'm at, I can order anything I want direct from the manufacturer for wholesale.

Retail = a 45%-52% markup... so if it costs $50 wholesale, it's around 100 in the store. Good, yes... but it becomes great. Some companies like The North Face offer special 'pro deals' to employees of outdoor shops... so instead of buying at wholesale, you get to buy shoes for 40% less than wholesale, 30% off wholesale for gear and clothes, etc. It's crazy... stuff I could never afford now is barely a dent in my wallet - $300 for a bag? Wholesale's at 150, 30% off of that makes it 105. No tax.

Someone's going to be doing a lot of camping in the near future... already bought myself a kayak... ;) Anyway, just had to share that.
Those kinds of perks are great. My daughter gets to see free movies and can bring a whole group of family or friends out to the movies once a week since she works at a movie theatre. I like my perks better though...a huge Christmas bonus. Last year it was 26% of the annual base pay. It should be more this year. The lowest Xmas bonus is over $5500. They have a gym and free exercise classes on site, too.

Enjoy that kayak...

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we have retail stores here, you either get a 5% discount on retail goods(groceries keep their 300% mark-up) or a store account to charge on... (disregarding position perks)with 1 year of service you get dental, 2 years medical, 3 years vacation(10%) ****ty stuff:)

are you allowed to hook your friends up with the stuff?

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
where exactly do you work and would you be willing to buy stuff and then sell it so you make a modest profit?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stud
where exactly do you work
Where exactly do you live and work? What is the girl you're currently interested in's cell phone number? What's your social security number? All of these and more are questions you'll almost never see answered on a message board.

and would you be willing to buy stuff and then sell it so you make a modest profit?
I'm an eBay powerseller... however I'm not going to risk losing a job to make a few bucks on the side (which I'm already doing very successfully already...)

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo

I need to hang out at REI more often and try to date one of the chicks that work there... Gear is too d@mn expensive.... :p