Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

On colleges & Universities...

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a little backround: I am going to be attending a small school come the fall and transfering after a year. My ACT score was very strong and I want to major in a business/economics/finance field and get my MBA once i have gotten my bachelors.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on schools??? (not just the ones listed below)

anything that i should look for specifically??

So far i have looked into Lehigh, Babson, Maryland, Penn, Wisconsin, UMich

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Interpol
Would you prefer public or private? Is money an issue (ie could you swing 40 grand a year tuition)?
Public or private is good. Liberal arts school or big university.

Money will not be an issue next year.

Coolage

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
today it is very difficult to get a good mba (top 10) straight after bachelor's. You have to go work for three years and come back.

Maryland would be a blast and Penn probably has top 5 finance and econ departments.

Let me ask you, do you have any ideas what you want to do afterwards?

Last edited:

skeeloo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
is 40 grand a year worth an education? i mean comm!on think about it. 40 grand? geez. i paid ten grand for my tuition and that was enough, to make me almost dropout.

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Coolage
today it is very difficult to get a good mba (top 10) straight after bachelor's. You have to go work for three years and come back.

Maryland would be a blast and Penn probably has top 5 finance and econ departments.

Let me ask you, do you have any ideas what you want to do afterwards?
I would like to own several of my own businesses (entrepreneur).

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
what was your act score?

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Julian
what was your act score?
29, I should be able to up that number though. my GPA wasn't great through, low 3's.

But after a year of college that shouldn't matter too much as long as I produce all A's

Interpol

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The top 4 ranked (US News & World) undergrad business programs are:

1. UPenn
2. MIT
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Michigan

Michigan will be the easiest of those to get into, Berkely is tougher, and MIT and UPenn are pretty damn tough (< 15%). I know other schools with good programs include UVA, Wisconsin, UT Austin, and any other Ivy league.

I'm currently a finance and accounting major at Washington University in St. Louis which is ranked around 10th. It's a great all-around school but expensive and pretty tough to get into.

I would personally recommend against schools like Lehigh that are private and expensive but really not all that great. You're probably better off going to a very good state school.

Also, as someone else pointed out, it's now generally preferred to have a few years work experience after your Bachelors before you pursue your MBA.

Coolage

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by drixsa
what type of businesses? It does make a difference. for example, if you are going to open your own financial firm you should go for the top and go back for an mba after having some experience.

If you are going to start a chain of bars for example, your degrees wouldn't matter and all that would matter is the hustle you put in.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by drixsa
some schools offer entreprenurship programs, not many tho...but you can start something while still in school.

I'm Joe Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think a 29 is going to cut it with Ivy League schools, unless you are black or hispanic, in which case you'll get in cause of Affirmative Action.

Business programs are tougher to get into than regular liberal arts degree programs and I know someone who applied and was declined to U of I Urbana with your ACT score for their liberal arts program. So I don't know.

You really don't have to go to a good school, especially if you are starting your own business. The name of the school matters some when you're applying to Fortune 500 companies maybe, but if you are your own boss youre not going to not hire yourself because your degree is from a ****ty school.

The most important thing is you learn the skills needed to run a business.

I'm Joe Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think a 29 is going to cut it with Ivy League schools, unless you are black or hispanic, in which case you'll get in cause of Affirmative Action.

Business programs are tougher to get into than regular liberal arts degree programs and I know someone who applied and was declined to U of I Urbana with your ACT score for their liberal arts program. So I don't know.

You really don't have to go to a good school, especially if you are starting your own business. The name of the school matters some when you're applying to Fortune 500 companies maybe, but if you are your own boss youre not going to not hire yourself because your degree is from a ****ty school.

The most important thing is you learn the skills needed to run a business.