Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

OMFingG Im not funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Jango_Xavier

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A kiwi in a very bad disguise of a dutchman :P
Guys, I have a big problem, Im not funny ive read all thread sabout humor and C+F and have bought humor books and stand up DVD's.
After reading or watching I feel more cheerful:) I try to make jokes and be C+F but, I completely suck:( its like I dont have a funny bone(yes I know a funny bone doesnt make you funny).
Can someone please give a fellow DJ apprentice some advice?

Jango

DJ Jeff

Don Juan
Reaction score
perhaps your trying to hard? maybe being funny isn't your greatest attribute right now. You just have to work at it...try your jokes on friends and family before chicks or something. perhaps your better at being ****y?

Krassus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's just it: you can never be funny if you're TRYING to be. I know that doesn't exactly help, but to me, it's just something that comes naturally. It comes to me when i'm not thinking about it, and when i am, i'm not as good.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being funny isn't something you can just walk around all day and do. Ask any comedian. People aren't going to just laugh at everything you say. Even if you're trying as hard as you can.

You have to pick your spots. Throughout a normal day you are only going to have "x" number of chances to say something funny when its appropriate.

It sounds like you're trying to hard and thats why its not working.

Besides if you're trying to be funny all the time people just think you're a joker and no one will ever take you seriously.

Then you'll be posting "Why won't anyone take me seriously?":)

Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Just keep at it and pick your spots.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Slickster
Being funny isn't something you can just walk around all day and do. Ask any comedian. People aren't going to just laugh at everything you say. Even if you're trying as hard as you can.

You have to pick your spots. Throughout a normal day you are only going to have "x" number of chances to say something funny when its appropriate.

It sounds like you're trying to hard and thats why its not working.

Besides if you're trying to be funny all the time people just think you're a joker and no one will ever take you seriously.

Then you'll be posting "Why won't anyone take me seriously?":)

Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Just keep at it and pick your spots.
Actually, I have my friends laughing nearly all day...

Ledoyen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try thinking about it in another perspective. Some tips!

1. Do you know what you think is funny? what kind of jokes do you laugh at? (My favourite is Sarcasm)

2. Observe things that are aroud you in your environment. Example, how some poeple talk, walk, body language, express them selves. What is it there that you find annoying and can make fun of.

3. Beeing sarcastic with people is very funny once you get a connection with them. Example, Her: Is my hair alright if i wear it like this. You: It actually makes you look really dumb but since i know you're not it won't make a difference to me. ;) (Grin)

Don't try to immitate other people, the most important thing to remember is to use your own humor to be funny. It's not very easy to make jokes about something you don't find that funny your self.

Led

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you've read all about humor, books, stand up DVD's..and you are still clueless????

maybe your problem isnt being funny..but having ADD

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Starman
you've read all about humor, books, stand up DVD's..and you are still clueless????

maybe your problem isnt being funny..but having ADD
Looking at paintings doesn't make you into an artist.

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what does make you an artist then? is painting the only form of art? Do Roper & Ebert have to be movie directors to critique movies??

were not asking him to be a stand up comedian by reading and watching standups..

you analogy doesnt apply and is too extreme

TheCloser

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe you aren't ****y enough..it has to flow...practice in your mirror and maybe that might help

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
what does make you an artist then? is painting the only form of art? Do Roper & Ebert have to be movie directors to critique movies??

were not asking him to be a stand up comedian by reading and watching standups..

you analogy doesnt apply and is too extreme
It applies perfectly. I am disagreeing with your post that sarcastically accuses him of having ADD for not developing an ability after watching and reading about other people who are funny.

You can only learn so much from seeing other people's masterpieces.

You're analogy is the false one. Roper and Ebert are critics as you said. This guy isn't trying to critique other peoples humor, he is trying to develop a sense of his own.

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jango, don't try to plan to be funny, work on being spontaneous. You can get laughs with planned jokes, but the things that will make you into the funny man are going to be times that you make everyone almost pee their pants when they were least expecting it. As you go throughout your day try to notice oppurtunities in conversation that give you an opening. Think to yourself what would make you laugh and then say it or do it if you think its appropriate. Always be aware of the response you get and tailor your humor to expand on ideas that get great laughs and cut out the ones that get you blank stares. After time its just like walking and you can do it with barely a concious effort.

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps it is you who has ADD..because that was a sarcastic Joke.. (i.e. watching comedy..yet not being able to catch on to whats funny due to lack of attention??)

your original post

"Looking at paintings doesn't make you into an artist."

but looking at paintings will give you some insight into art? form? etc? NO????

Just like looking at comedy doesnt have to make you a comedian..but it should give you some clue as to whats funny or not.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's easy to be funny...

If you look into a mirrow with a smile and do a weird little dance and say "I am funny" for an hour, eventually you will believe it.

If you leave your home wearing a duck suit while holding a rubber bat to wack any dog that passes your path, little children will think you're funny when you get chased by a dog that bit you on the rear.

Saying something witty is speaking with the objective of having fun. It's looking for the funny aspects of what seems mundane. It's elaborating on politics, everyday situations and why you get no respect.

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps it is you who has ADD..because that was a sarcastic Joke.. (i.e. watching comedy..yet not being able to catch on to whats funny due to lack of attention??)
I have been diagnosed with ADD, but reading a few sentences on a subject that interests me hardly taxes my attention. Perhaps my reading comprehension is what you were looking to insult. However, it is yours that is in question. I have agreed with everything you have said in response to me, but you fail to realize that recognition and creation are two different things.

"Looking at paintings doesn't make you into an artist."

but looking at paintings will give you some insight into art? form? etc? NO????

Just like looking at comedy doesnt have to make you a comedian..but it should give you some clue as to whats funny or not.
Exactly, and that is precisely what I meant from my first post. Watching any big name comedian is going to provide examples of excellent humor, but once again you fail to realize that Jango does not need help with recognizing humor. He wants to be able to create it for his own benefit. Watching a comedian do a routine does as little for an aspiring humorist as a tour through an art museum teaches one how to sculpt, draw, or paint. It can only teach you recognition of quality, no more, no less.