Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

"Not Genuine" Windows XP?

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is amazing. Windows XP did an update on my laptop, which produced a notification that my software is "not genuine." It never did this before.

I'd heard something to this effect from another person, who ended up dropping a lot of money to "correct the situation."

I'm not biting. Why would software that is not genuine direct somebody to an update that tells them it's not genuine? How low can Microsoft go?

Anybody else experience this kind of nonsense?

Next computer for me will defintely be a Mac or have Linux.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of computer you have, desktop/laptop?
Or how you got it, bought it fresh new or second hand?
Or whether it had "public exposure", meaning anybody could take a look at the Microsoft sticker on the PC and steal your license number.

Basically when it this happens: it means one of the two things

- You license number/license key was a forged one, the little business who sold you the machine charged you but didn't actually sell you a valid key. The equivalent of a forged concert ticket or train ticket if it's easier to understand.

- Or you have a valid key, but it has been copied/stolen by many other random people so all the guys who never paid for it are using the same key, your key. Microsoft detected it, and declared the key invalid.

Many times it's not even your fault. For example, a lot of public access computers (like at public libraries or university compuses) have their license number exposed in daylight on the PC itself, on the microsoft license sticker. Any "smart" can just copy it and install a pirated version of Windows at home with that number.

BacardiGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
I'm not biting. Why would software that is not genuine direct somebody to an update that tells them it's not genuine? How low can Microsoft go?
Windows doesn't know that it's an illegal version, so it acts like it would if it were legal, and automatically downloads the updates Microsoft tells it to.

I wouldn't really call protecting their profits from piracy low. There are a million things I hate about the company, but you can't fault them for that.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's a refurbished Dell laptop that does have an apparently original tag on it.

Actually, my brother gave me the scoop on this. Often, if enough of the hardware is changed, it gets flagged as a "new computer" when it is updated. I'll see what happens when I call the manufacturer.

tipsy_619

Don Juan
Reaction score
I seen that update recently too.
You should have just not installed that update.It gives you a choice of what you want updated & installed.
I hate automatic update so I turned mine off.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
Thanks for the replies. It's a refurbished Dell laptop that does have an apparently original tag on it.
This explains everything.
I knew it, I knew it must be a second hand PC.

Basically the guy/organization sold you the laptop but they kept using the license key for their new PC. Or maybe the refurbish contract never stated that Windows comes standard on it.

grinder

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As long as it lets you keep getting security updates, ignor it.

Red Hat Linux, Fedora. Costs nothing monitarily, but will make you use your noodle a little.

I support 300 WinXP machines and 40 or so 2000 and 2003 servers. I'm a true-blue Novell/Linux devotee.

Linux WILL inherit the Earth.

Blue Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:

Actually, my brother gave me the scoop on this. Often, if enough of the hardware is changed, it gets flagged as a "new computer" when it is updated. I'll see what happens when I call the manufacturer.
Someone must have updated your PC without you knowing about it, or it was set to update automatically. On my computer, the windows ADIVSED me about this. Before the update, it said that if my version was illegal I´d have those minor "problems", altought I wouldn´t be punished by using an illegal program; considering it´s just for home use. If you use illegal softwares in any company then you´re playing with fire.

What is refurbished? Is it something like "remanufactured"?