Need to drop 10 lbs. in 18 days.....

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suggestions? Right now I'm basically going carb-free after breakfast, drinking lots of water. Exercise daily. Any tricks/supplements any of you have heard of out there?

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What kind of exercise are you doing? If it's cardio, there's no way you'll keep this up while carb-free. I for one need carbs around cardio workouts otherwise I struggle with motivation and feel sluggish on the workouts.

My trick was alternate-day calorie restriction. One day, you exercise (running, in my case) and eat maintenance amount of calories, the next day, you eat (maintenance - 400) or so and don't exercise. Make sure you calculate the maintenance amount right, it's not the same for both days as you have to factor in exercise. If you don't know what "maintenance" refers to, google "BMR calculator" and go to the first one you see. Usually they'll explain how to adapt the calculation to get the maintenance amount.

And eat healthy: lean meats, carbs from veggies, etc etc.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I meant I was going free on 'white' carbs, like potatoes and bread. I still eat a little brown rice at breakfast and I load up on vegetables (need to quit cooking them with bacon grease I guess :D ).

I've heard alot of bodybuilders got solid results with that calorie approach you mentioned, I may try it, although I'm not a big calorie counter myself.

Chillisauce

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
why do you need to drop 10 pounds so quickly?

If its for sport water cut before the weight in. If it is an aesthetic thing you need to be careful since fast cutting = muscle loss.

SmellyOrc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Probably some party or some sport yeah. Just too bad he didn't think of it before...

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually it's for my wedding, and I don't want to have a double chin.
Just too bad he didn't think of it before...
Well, yeah I did, but I was just lazy.

Either way, that wasn't the question.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
Actually it's for my wedding, and I don't want to have a double chin.

Well, yeah I did, but I was just lazy.

Either way, that wasn't the question.

your not going to lose 10lbs of fat in 18 days. Depending on what your weight is now you can lose a lot of bloat/fluid/some fat in 18 days if everything is set up right but instead of trying to make this a quick fix, why not just make a lifestyle change.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh I know. I like to eat and drink too much. I've been in shape before, and I know a thing or two about bodybuilding. I never have been very good at diet. I've tried, but never successful.

I've only really lost weight when I had the time to exercise it off. Of course, I was single, had nothing to do, no injuries, etc. Times have changed, and stress had taken it's toll on my time and body.

I'm really looking for dieting tactics. I'm planning on eating one meat and steamed vegetables, no salt or liquid calories. Maybe some oatmeal or brown rice in the mornings, salad for lunch with no dressing. And never get all the way full, which I LOVE to do, by the way.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
first step, keep an accurate diet log. you may be stunned to see what you really eat. i resisted doing this for a long time, and when I finally did, it was very revealing.

and effort et al are right, you're going to have to accept a double chin in your wedding photos. sorry. make this motivation to make a permanent change.

if you really believe that getting exercise requires time, try this:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/exercise.html

nothing fancy, just a way to ramp up a calisthenics program, max 15 minutes a day. feel free to move up the ladder faster than he recommends if you're in any kind of shape for a 27 y.o. (and sounds like you are). and let me know how it goes, esp. in terms of keeping you motivated.

Aktat

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you´re going low-carb, then you shouldn´t exercise too hard, it will tear on your muscles, not the fat deposits. Walking before breakfast is a great way of losing weight even if yo´re not doing intense fitness training. You´ll burn more fat then. Walk before breakfast, thirty minutes. I did that when I ate low carb and it was a great combination.

joe bloggs

Don Juan
Reaction score
The only way to lose weight quickly is quick walking on a treadmill @ 6 km/h for 25-30 minutes with a rucksack and a 10kg weight. If you get a steep enough gradient (say 6%) you will lose weight quickly- though you should take a vitamin supplement and not drink at the same time.

Luminescence

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cutting back on carbs was an excellent idea. Heres a site that I've been reading lately that talks alot about this subject.
It focuses mostly on the paleo diet and exercising habits that mimic that of hunter gatherers.

http://www.arthurdevany.com/

Luminescence

Don Juan
Reaction score
Chillisauce said:
why do you need to drop 10 pounds so quickly?

If its for sport water cut before the weight in. If it is an aesthetic thing you need to be careful since fast cutting = muscle loss.
Yes dropping 10 pounds in 18 days is a little extreme.

I don't think short fasts while remaining active cause muscle loss. Short fasts just burn stored fat, leaving fast twitch muscles over time.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No that should be enough.
have carbs post workout though.