Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Need to bulk up. Need help with a routine. *novice*

Dante Brasco

Reaction score
I need to bulk up for sports next year. I need a program AND diet of what to eat to gain great muscles. I am about 119 pounds and I have bony arms. Tell me what to do for working out: [ex] every so and so days for so and so minutes.

And what to eat. Too much abuse has been going on for too long.

Wuzzup

Don Juan
Reaction score
wat sport? cause basketball would need a different routine from football for example.

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are a skinny little bytch. I'm sorry, I know I'm being an *******, but damn. :D LOLOL!!

No matter what weight training program you take up, you HAVE to consume over 3000 calories a day minimum, and depending on your height/build/metabolism, upto and over 5000 calories. Look at the Diesel guide to bulking up.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3000 caleries is way to much for someone his size IMHO. When I weighed 155 lbs 17% BF (now about 170 13%) I'd make gains from 2400 caleries. 3000 is probably too much of a jump from his normal diet and could make him gain unnecessary fat.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jakethasnake
You are a skinny little bytch. I'm sorry, I know I'm being an *******, but damn. :D LOLOL!!
Dude, don't be a little fag. He's 15 and he's trying to improve himself. I wish I would've started that early. You're just being that fukker in the gym that makes fun of younger lifters just because all the lifters your age lift more than you and making fun of somebody makes you feel better about yourself. Dante, there are a couple things you have to know. #1 - you're only 15, so don't expect your body will be capable of making the same gains older people can make. BUT, you can make a real difference, gain some strength, and help your body grow more to your liking. The most important thing is to lift regularly. You need to eat too, but no matter what you're going to find that it's difficult for you to gain weight. Realize that you're not going to transform your body overnight - if you're a sophomore in high school, shoot for turning things around your senior year. If you can't stay disciplined for that long, then don't bother starting.

As for your routine, your body is going to recoup much quicker than most people's, so you need to listen to it. Read the guide to bulking to get a general idea, but know that you can lift more often than is suggested. For example, you can probably do chest and arms twice a week to help build those muscles up. A good test is always whether you are lifting more or not. If you lift arms on Monday, rest until thursday and can lift more on thursday than you did on monday, then you can keep lifting arms every 3rd day. If you can't lift as much on Th. as you could on Mon, then you probably need an extra day. Listen to your body. If you can handle 5 days a week, I would take advantage and lift as much as possible.

I can try to build a program for you, but I need to know when you can lift (and how long you can lift for). The weights you can currently lift would help too.

Other than that, just try to eat protein in every meal, and eat an extra protein shake every day. The key for you is going to be lifting more than diet (at least that's the case for most people in your position). Just try to eat a little healthier to make sure your body has what it needs to grow.

And as for people like Jake, tell him to Fukk off, use him for motivation, fukk his sister, and then kick his ass in 2 years when he's still making fun of rookies because he doesn't have the balls to jump into a program himself.

Good luck.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the rare kind of occasion where I think training more often can be beneficial. Rank novices have not learned to generate the same intensity as more advanced lifters and are usually super enthusiastic so 4-5 days per week of medium intensity stuff is ok.

And yes, I agree with LL that you can train a bodypart more than once per week - but keep the sets and exercises to a bare minimum.

Beginners should be more focused on learning correct technique and form rather than forced reps, supersets, dropsets or any other such advanced protocol.

Dante Brasco

Reaction score
God this is annoying. I hear differ things everywhere. I initially heard to do it every other day, like lifting weights on Monday/Wednsday/Friday/Sunday and I have been doing that for 3 or 4 weeks. Is this routine good?

And I can do smaller things like sit-ups and push-ups EVERY day, right?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dante Brasco
God this is annoying. I hear differ things everywhere. I initially heard to do it every other day, like lifting weights on Monday/Wednsday/Friday/Sunday and I have been doing that for 3 or 4 weeks. Is this routine good?

And I can do smaller things like sit-ups and push-ups EVERY day, right?

LOL. Sorry dude but you are always going to hear different ideas on training wherever you decide to look. Best thing to do is to research and then make a decision as to what you want to do. Experiment to see what you find works.

If you have been doing your routine for 3-4 weeks then stick with it, evaluate it in another 2-3 months. No need to to the push-ups and sit ups on a daily basis. Why not play some sports on the other day?

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some ppl will tell you you should do a fully body workout every other day (like 3 times a week). Some will tell you to train each body part like twice a week. Others will tell you you should only workout each body part once a week. In my opinion and from my experiences all of the above worked. You need to figure out though, that when it comes to working out less is more most of the time. Each muscle should at least have 48 hours of rest (meaning one full day of rest) before being worked out again.

@templeton: I know you're a firm believer in working out each muscle only once a week and just in some occasions twice a week (and I do think your threads are good), but in my opinion it pretty much depends on the intensity you work out your muscles. If you only do 3 sets for chest 48 hours of rest might be enough and thus u could work your chest 3 times a week. If you do 5 sets you shouldnt work it out more than twice a week cause it needs some more rest. If you do 8 9 or 10 sets for your chest workout you shouldnt work it out more than once per week...maybe Im wrong, but I think the higher the intensity the longer the rest youll need and I think you can make great gains by working out each muscle once a week, by working it out 2 times a week and also 3 times a week (depending on how many sets u do). I currently work out each msucle twice a week and im gonna give working it with a higher intensity once a week a shot but I think all of those methods work!

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by madgame

@templeton: I know you're a firm believer in working out each muscle only once a week and just in some occasions twice a week (and I do think your threads are good), but in my opinion it pretty much depends on the intensity you work out your muscles. If you only do 3 sets for chest 48 hours of rest might be enough and thus u could work your chest 3 times a week. If you do 5 sets you shouldnt work it out more than twice a week cause it needs some more rest. If you do 8 9 or 10 sets for your chest workout you shouldnt work it out more than once per week...maybe Im wrong, but I think the higher the intensity the longer the rest youll need and I think you can make great gains by working out each muscle once a week, by working it out 2 times a week and also 3 times a week (depending on how many sets u do). I currently work out each msucle twice a week and im gonna give working it with a higher intensity once a week a shot but I think all of those methods work! [/B]
I agree with you dude. Excellent point regarding sets, intensity etc. What I disagree with is the notion that you have to train just one or at most two bodyparts together with a large amount of sets and be in the gym 4-5 or even 6 days per week. Sure you CAN do that (well I defy anyone to make optimal progress on 6 days) but you don't have to and in my view gained through experince and observation, for the average, genetically limited guy (about 90% of us) it is not the most efficient. Your example using the chest and varying numbers of sets and subsequent recovery periods is a good one although numer of sets does not necessarily indicate intensity.