Need help buying first car, 10k budget

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok i'm a 20 year old guy and this is going to be my first car. I don't really know much about cars or anything and basically I got around a 10k budget to get a car.

So it needs to be automatic, 4 door, I want something sporty/luxory (doesn't really have to have both), also sometihng that is good on gas , also it can't be too old.

Some cars i've looked at and have thought about was the 04 seabring sedan for 10k fully loaded and 50km, I also like civics, I looked at a 02 pontiac sunfires for around 8-10k, I could also get chrysler(I think it's an oldmobile) intrigue for 10k with 91,000 miles, I was also thinking of getting a acura integra but I could only find 2drs which is no good, but I like cars that look sometihng like that or the civics.

Ok so I don't know if any of these cars are any good or anything, so any reccommendations would be helpful if I should get these or something totally diffeent that would be in my price range so I could try to find it. Also this is 10,00 dollars Canadian.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You want a Volvo S60. Trust me. There's nothing sportier/more luxurious/safer for the price.

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
You want a Volvo S60. Trust me. There's nothing sportier/more luxurious/safer for the price.
Sure there is. Audi A6

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem with stretching your budget is that you end up with a high mileage car that is going to spend time at the mechanic, especially cars made by GM and the other American automakers.

Just get a civic if that's what you like. Buy a low-mileage one from an adult who understands how to care for a car, like giving it regular oil changes. Also, civics probably have timing belts that need changing every 60k or so miles. Look the required maintenance up before you buy, so you can ask the seller what they have had done. This also gives you negotiating leverage in price, ask them to reduce the price if required maintenance is about to come due.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anything>civic

Audi= ugly
volvo (ones in his price range)= ugly

Mustangs aren't the most reliable (mine's been great), but they're the coolest cars you can get for your budget. I got mine for about $8700 (2000 V6 with under 65,000 miles, black leather, power everything, cd player with premium sound, spoiler, GT hood). Then I put on 18in chromies, tinted the windows, and put a nice alarm system on it for about 3 grand more. That all totals out to just over 10k, which is pretty close to your budget. I think my d.ick grew about an extra inch after I got it too (figuritively speaking of course)...so I gotta recommend that. :rockon:

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
For $10,000? Where?
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110883
1999 A4 Quattro Tiptronic
K04 Aftermarket turbo
Heated seats
Bose sound system
Performance (GIAC) chip
Aftermarket intercooler/exhaust
Regular maintenance
$8,600

And you're telling me you can't find a nice stock Audi for under $10,000?

Derek Flint said:
Audi's are crap.
Put an inch of snow on the ground, see where you go in anything other than an Audi.

ValleyDJing said:
Audi= ugly
The B5 generation has the most timeless design I've seen yet.
http://www.motorpulse.com/vehicle_photos/medium/00b9a2055bd624c36978b64c2b532ec3.jpeg
http://www.arabadergisi.com/ab/audi/a4-99-01B.jpg
http://www.olsenhome.com/audi/images/myblack99a4/myblack99a4.jpg
http://www.raleighlist.org/uploads/forsale/20823-1.jpg

Thats ugly?

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone put their ego and personal preferences to the side for a second and look at where the posters is coming from.

Dude the best commuter that you can buy PERIOD(unless you have $$$ to spend) is a Civic. They are extremely cheap to maintain and perfect for a young college student. I know some are skeptical of Hyundais but I have a relative who put 25k on her Sonota in a year w/o a single hitch,not one minor thing. Who knows,she could have gotten lucky but at the same time Hyundai is starting to win awards and respect left & right these days.

Sure you can buy something else but lets us reasoning for this,a car isn't a cheap purchase.

Oh yeah after you buy the car then there is the insurance factor,gas and repairs to pay for.

Good luck!

Jerry Maguire

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Civic or Corolla would probably be your best bet for a first car.
Old Audi's were reliable when new but as they grow older they will need expensive maintenance.
Wouldn't even consider a Mustang etc.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your cap is $10k, ease it down to $9k and have $1k for possible repairs, unseen expenses, etc.

So your true cap is $9k minus $500 for decent sound system, another $500 for aftermarket essentials, so suddenly you're sitting at $8000.

Now go look for a car in the $6k - 8k range. You're not going to get anything classy(bmw, audi, benz, caddy, etc) for that price unless its mileage is over 250k, at that point it isn't really worth it.

Better to go with a respectable car that has low kms, something decent under the hood, and a good safety rating.

I'd personally nail a Toyota Supra, or some other small & sporty car. Don't buy something that costs heaps of cash to maintain(a la Jag). When we had one of those, it was in the shop every few weeks. Brand new too.

My car.

Good luck.

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
Buy a used car from an old person. Those mofo's take excellent care of their cars so they are almost like brand new.

basbhat

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll put in a vote for the Toyota Celica. Very affordable, run forever, look nice, cheap maintenance, great gas mileage, and VERY AFFORDABLE.

Is this your own money? If it is, I would definitely just buy a nice used car outright and save the rest for other expenses that come up(and they will, trust me). Cars are for getting from one place to another, so I wouldn't "invest" in one too expensive, especially if you are in college. You can buy something fancy when you got all your ducks in a row, but for now I would suggest that you buy a car that gets the job done and you won't have to worry about "your baby" if something happens to her. Unless you just GOT TO HAVE the ride of your dreams.....

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible Belt is right that you oughta probably save some money for repairs. Don't spend all 10k.