"N-Large 2"

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I talked to a nutritionist at the grocery store I work at. I told her I want to gain weight and Im starting to work out so she suggests to take this protein supplement called "N-Large".

I guess its just like Weigh protein but with high carb content.
Remember, I want to GAIN weight. Im 6'1, 130lbs :(

Anyone heard/tried this? Any advice? Should I just go with Weigh or Creatin(sp?)

Its like $36 (CAN) for a big tub.
Thanks!

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It works... for a price. You lose your cash and you get fat. Eat the real food man!

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Btw, just letting you know...

You know it's almost all sugar right? Fyi. :):p

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
uhh,
all sugar? :eek:
The nutritionist said its just like WEIGH - a protein supplement- the only difference being that it has carbs in it, where WEIGH doesnt.
How can it be a protein supplement, yet be all sugar?

As for "getting fat" and "eating the real food" , trust me, ive been trying to eat and eat...it just doesnt work for my body. Ive been stuck at 130 lbs for probably a year and a half now, and my eating habits (appetite) has only increased since then...

I have a HUGE metabolism. Ive been tested for an overactive thyroid, but I dont have that. But as proof that my metabolism is huge, a while after eating any meal, or snack, I notice my body sweating...for no reason. I feel room temperature, or sometimes cold, yet I sweat...I figure this is my metabolism trying to burn off all the colories I consumed :(

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
-_- I don't believe you.

You didn't even read carefully, I said "almost".

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, wtf?
What dont you belive?
I promise you that everything in that post is the honest truth.
Geeze. :eek:

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
heres an article on N-Large2:

Description:
N-Large 2 3.8lb by Prolab Nutrition.

N-Large 2 is a powerful mass gaining formula designed to pack size on the hardest gainers. This potent formula delivers more calories and protein, gram for gram, than our competition. We put an emphasis on the amount of protein per serving since it is the only nutrient proven to assist in promoting muscle mass. We use only cross flow, micro filtered, cold processed ion exchanged whey protein. This protein has a superior amino acid profile, an unbeatable bioavailability, is low in lactose and is instantized for easy mixing without a blender. You simply will not find a protein of this grade used in other weight gain formulas. We have avoided overloading our formula with carbohydrates. We use just enough to help fuel your workouts and replenish depleted glycogen stores, but not enough to cause drowsiness. Studies show that too many carbohydrates increases the levels of serotonin crossing over the brain barrier, thereby inducing drowsiness. Fat, although shunned by some, is highly concentrated energy source (double that of protein and carbohydrates) supplying the body with fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. Fat is also a necessary component of all cell membranes, nerve covering, digestive secretions and most importantly, hormone production. A diet too low in fats may actually impair growth (For these reasons, small amounts of necessary dietary fat is contained in N-Large). Combine N-Large with a sensible diet and intense training program for best overall gains. Ingredients: Maltodextrin, cross-flow micro-filtered cold processed ion exchanged whey, fructose, natural flavoring.

Source: http://www.bodyworks-nutrition.com/0810100.html

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As for "getting fat" and "eating the real food" , trust me, ive been trying to eat and eat...it just doesnt work for my body. Ive been stuck at 130 lbs for probably a year and a half now, and my eating habits (appetite) has only increased since then...
I don't believe you eat correctly and I doubt you've been perfectly 130lb. for a year and a half. I myself is a super ectomorph but I'm doing fine gaining steady 5lb. each month because I'm eating correctly.

Why don't you describe to us exactly what you eat? Either way you look at it, lying to us won't do you any good. We don't care as we're the one looking good. ;)

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sigh, you think they'd tell the truth while selling the product?

Nvm. Have someone else like DIESEL or whomever with knowledge tell ya, you don't need protein suppy to help you. All you need is creatine, real food, and you're fine as long as you do it steadily.

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
nowhere in there did I say I was eating correctly. You assumed that...and I didnt know thats what you were implying by "eating real food"

So please, if you will, tell me what this correct-eating is that will help someone with my metabolism gain weight. Your right, I have no reason to lie, THATS WHY IM NOT. Ive come for guidance, im willing to listen, so if you will...proceed :)

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Saine
Sigh, you think they'd tell the truth while selling the product?

Nvm. Have someone else like DIESEL or whomever with knowledge tell ya, you don't need protein suppy to help you. All you need is creatine, real food, and you're fine as long as you do it steadily.
Im not sayin their tellin the truth, im saying:

A) A nutritionist, with a lot of experience with metabolism problems (she once had an overactive thyroid and her husband has a weight gain problem because he is allergic to alot of different foods - which causes his body to work to fight off the reaction, which burns his callories.) has suggested it.

B) I posted it here for the boards experience with it - Im always sceptical of things like this, so I want some opinions.

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And you got my opinion, eat the real food and stick with creatine. No need to spend $34. :)

UNOWHO

Banned
Reaction score
6'1 and 130 pounds? Go to an anorexia camp.

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by UNOWHO
6'1 and 130 pounds? Go to an anorexia camp.
Man, that aint funny.
I get comments like that all the time, it aint cool.
Thats exactly why Im started working out, and thinking of supps.
Trust me, I aint anorexic...Id kill to be able to gain weight :(

And you got my opinion, eat the real food and stick with creatine. No need to spend $34. ]
I asked in the previous post - what is "THE REAL FOOD"

Thanks.

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't know what a real food is, then you need some help. -_- It's obvious isn't it?

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The nutritionist recommended them, BECAUSE SHE KNOWS IF YOU BUY IT, SHE GETS CREDIT AND IT MAKES MONEY FOR THE STORE. You know what the recipe for gaining weight is? EAT. EAT A LOT. And don't tell me you have been eating a lot. Eat constantly. Eat until you feel sick to your stomach, then take a dump and eat more. Eat til you feel like puking. Eat lots of meat. Buy big jars of peanuts at Wal-Mart and eat those at all hours of the day. Eat lots of PB+J or PB+H sandwiches. After your workout, drink a quart of milk, then go home and drink more milk throughout the day. Eat everything (but try to keep it as clean with healthy food as possible) Gain weight like a MAN.

And as for how you should workout to gain weight? Squat. Squat like your life depends on it, then squat some more. Deadlifts are great to add too, and if you know how to do them, do power cleans from the hang and do either military presses, push presses, or jerks. No machines or crappy isolation maneuvers. Oh yeah, weighted chins and dips, and bench presses are also great for mass. No training to failure, if you train hard enough using these compound lifts it will be all you can do to train 3 days a week. Even if you only get in 2 a week because you wear yourself out, then that's also all good. When I was bulking, it was all I could do to workout hard 2 times a week, and I gained 14 pounds in 35 days, almost none of that fat (granted I'm not as ectomorphic as you are, but due to that I didn't need to eat crazily either. You can do this too if you eat like a madman)

There, now you know how to bulk, bulk clean, and bulk WELL. There's really no way you can't bulk this way. No N-large. Pure protein powder is OK, but no weight gainer ripoffs.

UNOWHO

Banned
Reaction score
Jimbo, if its not an eating disorder, than maybe you have an overactive metabolism. This means you burn fat real fast (which keeps you nice and slimmy - but also skinny). Eat lots of foods, look at one of those Southbeach Diet things and do the EXACT OPPOSITE. Eat sugars, carbs, fats. Eat some ice cream, the point here is not to gain fat, but gain weight (you'll know when to stay off the fat). Your BMI (body mass index) is 17.1, which underweight. Around 21-22 is considered good BMI while between 18.5 and 24.5 keeps you within "healthy" bounds. Thing is, you need to start gaining weight man. Eat extra meats and carbs and at the same time do your weights. Stay off protein because for the weight you need to gain you are going to have to spend an arm and a leg, so, instead, try this (counter-intuitive), buy SlimFast drinks, these are 230 calories (30 from fat, don't ask how I know), and drink these in addition to your food. Make sure you get at least 2000 calories a day to be healthy and shoot for 2400 to start gaining weight. But make sure you don't gain more than 4 pounds a week, otherwise you are moving to fast and that ain't healthy.

BTW., this works but I don't recommend it. Doctors have found that skipping breakfast slows down the metabolism, meaning you will gain weight.

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't know what a real food is, then you need some help. -_- It's obvious isn't it?
Not for me it aint :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DJ IronGirevik
The nutritionist recommended them, BECAUSE SHE KNOWS IF YOU BUY IT, SHE GETS CREDIT AND IT MAKES MONEY FOR THE STORE. You know what the recipe for gaining weight is? EAT. EAT A LOT. And don't tell me you have been eating a lot. Eat constantly. Eat until you feel sick to your stomach, then take a dump and eat more. Eat til you feel like puking. Eat lots of meat. Buy big jars of peanuts at Wal-Mart and eat those at all hours of the day. Eat lots of PB+J or PB+H sandwiches. After your workout, drink a quart of milk, then go home and drink more milk throughout the day. Eat everything (but try to keep it as clean with healthy food as possible) Gain weight like a MAN.
She makes no extra profit or anything by selling more. She is employed by the store, and makes no extra commission + we are friends. We talk constantly about my progress etc when we are both on break or when we see eachother around the store, so I doubt she would be doing this to make profit out of me. She genuinely cares. But thats besides the point....

Ill combine your "eat like hell" with the hard workouts, and see how it goes.

Jimbo, if its not an eating disorder, than maybe you have an overactive metabolism. This means you burn fat real fast (which keeps you nice and slimmy - but also skinny). Eat lots of foods, look at one of those Southbeach Diet things and do the EXACT OPPOSITE. Eat sugars, carbs, fats. Eat some ice cream, the point here is not to gain fat, but gain weight (you'll know when to stay off the fat). Your BMI (body mass index) is 17.1, which underweight. Around 21-22 is considered good BMI while between 18.5 and 24.5 keeps you within "healthy" bounds. Thing is, you need to start gaining weight man. Eat extra meats and carbs and at the same time do your weights. Stay off protein because for the weight you need to gain you are going to have to spend an arm and a leg, so, instead, try this (counter-intuitive), buy SlimFast drinks, these are 230 calories (30 from fat, don't ask how I know), and drink these in addition to your food. Make sure you get at least 2000 calories a day to be healthy and shoot for 2400 to start gaining weight. But make sure you don't gain more than 4 pounds a week, otherwise you are moving to fast and that ain't healthy.
I know I have an overactive metabolism..thats what I was saying earlier..my metabolism is huge.
As for eating fatty foods, thats also what I was saying earlier. I eat and eat, but never gain. I eat fast food (probly not the best), and anything else other people would claim would get them fat. I Just wont put on weight :(

BTW., this works but I don't recommend it. Doctors have found that skipping breakfast slows down the metabolism, meaning you will gain weight.
Ive been doing this unintentionally for quite some time. I hardly have the time for breakfast, but my lunch is big etc..

Thanks for all your guys' input. And Saine - thanks for the real feedback and not some flame like last time :p

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"She makes no extra profit or anything by selling more. She is employed by the store, and makes no extra commission + we are friends. We talk constantly about my progress etc when we are both on break or when we see eachother around the store, so I doubt she would be doing this to make profit out of me. She genuinely cares. But thats besides the point...."

Then either she's misinformed or you are putting on rose colored goggles with regards to her. I'll go with the former, because there are a lot misinformed out there.

"Ill combine your "eat like hell" with the hard workouts, and see how it goes."

Good stuff. Let me know how it goes.

"I know I have an overactive metabolism..thats what I was saying earlier..my metabolism is huge.
As for eating fatty foods, thats also what I was saying earlier. I eat and eat, but never gain. I eat fast food (probly not the best), and anything else other people would claim would get them fat. I Just wont put on weight :("

Don't eat unhealthy crap like that unless you want to be skinny with a big belly. Eat healthy, but eat a TON. Treat yourself with ice cream and all that, but eat very high quantities of good healthy foods (red meat, white meat, peanuts, fruit and vegetables, rice, milk, etc)

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ IronGirevik
"She makes no extra profit or anything by selling more. She is employed by the store, and makes no extra commission + we are friends. We talk constantly about my progress etc when we are both on break or when we see eachother around the store, so I doubt she would be doing this to make profit out of me. She genuinely cares. But thats besides the point...."

Then either she's misinformed or you are putting on rose colored goggles with regards to her. I'll go with the former, because there are a lot misinformed out there.
So are you saying this N Large2 stuff is useless? how? Why is it different from the other WEIGH products? This one has protein + carbs. I need carbs dont I? One of the big ways to lose weight to to decrease your carbs, so to increase weight, it only makes sense to eat more carbs. Im not saying your wrong, Im just asking for some guidance. thanks for the good response :)