Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My Movie Review: Blue Valentine

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw a few posters talk about this movie recently on SS. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are both good actors, so I watched it last night.

My thoughts and review:

The movie is quite good and was up for many awards. Both Gosling and Williams were also nominated multiple times. I won't go into the plot in details, you can read about it or watch the movie. The writers were quite accurate, IMO, about what happens in most marriages and LTRs. They wrote from experience, is my guess.

Some notes:

- I thought Gosling was superb. Was never a huge fan of him, but this movie changed my opinion. I can't help but think at some point he's seen the original Rocky movie (Academy Award for Best Picture 1977), and imitated or channeled Stallone's character, Rocky Balboa. Sans the boxing part, the mannerisms, thinking, speech, attitude, wit, many features of the characters are very similar.

- Williams was very good too. The part that really stuck with me was how appalled and disgusted she was when Dean (Gosling) was trying to make love to her on the floor of the hotel. She gritted her teeth like she just could stand it even though he was trying to be spontaneous and romantic. She just didn’t even want him to touch her. Sinking feeling as he was still very in love with her.

- Gosling is depicted for the most part as the White Knight, marrying Cindy (Williams) after she gets knocked up by another guy. Dean isn’t a p*ussy per se, and he appears to be a really good dad and husband, keeping things light by acting goofy and showing affection to Frankie (kid) and Cindy. BUT, as has been discussed HEAVILY on SS for decades now, he is largely unmotivated with few aspirations. This plus his drinking proves to be his undoing with Cindy. She likely wanted better for her and her daughter. She was a nurse and was likely tired of towing the line the past 5 years.

- There is a part in the movie where Dean is talking to a co-worker. He comments that women are always pursuing “Prince Charming” (Alpha/IDGAF Guy) but always settle for the stable guy with the good job (Beta Male Provider). VERY TRUE.

- The ending is sad, but accurate. I felt really bad for Dean because he was offering his love and support the best he knew how; trying to be a good father and husband despite his challenges, which though evident, never really seemed adversely affect the family.

- Cindy simply falls out of love with him despite the way he treats her, which is depicted as quite good until she starts pulling away, then he loses his marbles but never hits her, etc. He’s just deeply hurt.

- The movie ends with Dean pleading for her to change her mind for theirs and Frankie’s sake, but she saying she has NOTHING left for him, zero. She also says she prefers Frankie not grow up in a household where the two parents despise each other. Really sad, I can relate on many levels. But, that's life. Nothing is forever. Dean is shown in the final scene dejected and sullen, walking out of the house and down the sidewalk as Frankie pleads and cries for him to stay. He tells her to go back to her mom as he continues walking as people are setting off fireworks for the 4th of July. The movie ends. Pictures are shown during the credits from their courtship where they both look so happy and in love. There are also flashbacks to this point throughout the movie which makes the ending even sadder and more gut wrenching when you see how far they, mainly Cindy, have fallen out of love.

Takeaways:

- Marriage and LTRs are HUGE gambles. You can do everything "right' as a man and the woman can and usually will fall out of love with you at some point in which it become more of a partnership. Especially in 2021. Think twice about betting everything you have on that.

- It is mainly the man’s (as the leader) responsibility to keep the woman interested, even in marriage. Sacrificing your life, dreams, and goals for her are not the answer and a turn-off in the long run. Being "nice" isn't the answer to a successful marriage or LTR.

-Have goals and aspirations and PURPOSE for two main reasons: 1) You will feel more fulfilled as a person and contributor on this planet. 2) Women are hugely attracted to men with these qualities, not chronic slackers and lazy asses.

Good watch. I'd recommend it. 4.5/5 Stars.

Ciao,

Dash

Last edited:

jamesfromhouston

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Brilliant review. I saw the movie just last week from a fellow DJ's recommendation. The movie hit me hard as well, although not to such dire circumstances but I went through a similar ex-relationship recently.

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brilliant review. I saw the movie just last week from a fellow DJ's recommendation. The movie hit me hard as well, although not to such dire circumstances but I went through a similar ex-relationship recently.
Yeah, hit me hard too. Anyone who has had a marriage or LTR *slowly* devolve and dissipate can relate.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A few years ago, I had been intending to watch that movie as it has been cited as a red pill movie. I never got around to it. Thanks for the review.

Marriage and LTRs are HUGE gambles. You can do everything "right' as a man and the woman can and usually will fall out of love with you at some point in which it become more of a partnership. Especially in 2021. Think twice about betting everything you have on that.
In the last few years, I've fallen into the idea of that all relationships are transients. This forum doesn't talk enough about game as a means of keeping a woman interested. Holding the initial frame that seduced her is so important for keeping her around for some time.

I think LTRs are good but they even have a shelf life of goodness if you hold initial red pill type frame.

It is mainly the man’s (as the leader) responsibility to keep the woman interested, even in marriage. Sacrificing your life, dreams, and goals for her are not the answer and a turn-off in the long run. Being "nice" isn't the answer to a successful marriage or LTR.
Yes. This is tied into holding frame above.

-Have goals and aspirations and PURPOSE for two main reasons: 1) You will feel more fulfilled as a person and contributor on this planet. 2) Women are hugely attracted to men with these qualities, not chronic slackers and lazy asses.
Makes sense. A lot of guys into pickup and seduction have a goal to be a high quality seducer. It is better if there are goals in life besides seducing women.

Last edited:

jamesfromhouston

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Would love to find other great movies like this. If you guys have not seen it yet definitely check out Sex/Life. Although not as deep, basically shows you how a BP guy can be treated equally like sheet.

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's one movie the late great Doc Love talked about. Came out in 90s or early 2000s.

About a girl who gets knocked up by her Alpha ass*hole boyfriend. He wants nothing to do with her or the kid. The girl's plantonic male friend, who's madly in love with her, offers all this support and sells a bunch of his possessions to pay for her abortion. She leads him on and he thinks he has a chance but she deflects his romantic advances. She gets the abortion he paid for. At the end of the movie, they're at a party and he sees the girl, clenched and making out with the guy that knocked her up. The movie ends.

Damn, lol.

That's all I remember but Doc Love said to watch it because its spot-on re: women's thinking.

Maybe someone knows the name of the movie.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
About a girl who gets knocked up by her Alpha ass*hole boyfriend. He wants nothing to do with her or the kid. The girl's plantonic male friend, who's madly in love with her, offers all this support and sells a bunch of his possessions to pay for her abortion. She leads him on and he thinks he has a chance but she deflects his romantic advances. She gets the abortion he paid for. At the end of the movie, they're at a party and he sees the girl, clenched and making out with the guy that knocked her up. The movie ends.

That's all I remember but Doc Love said to watch it because its spot-on re: women's thinking.

I'd like to know the name of the movie. That seems like a realistic portrayal of women's thinking.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The sequel will be called Black Valentine, will detail the wife's rotation of gigantic black men that her poor cuck ex-husband couldn't possibly compete with

Reactions: B80

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks like a missed 2010 movie with me. Added it to amazon prime watchlist.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This movie is one of my top 5 favorites movies list. I make my potential girlfriends watch it. The ones that love it can move to the next round. The ones that say " omg its too depressing" or " I dont get it"..
they get nexted.

The acting in Blue Valentine seemed too real. It looked like a documentary on modern love. The acting was visceral. Masterpiece of a film. The director based it on his parents divorce. Too bad the director dropped the ball in his next film called a Place Beyond the Pines.

Another great movie is Vicky Christina Barcelona. It is very Redpill. Beautiful scenery and good acting.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
- Marriage and LTRs are HUGE gambles. You can do everything "right' as a man and the woman can and usually will fall out of love with you at some point in which it become more of a partnership. Especially in 2021. Think twice about betting everything you have on that.
Indeed, a gamble is a good comparison. For the guys that play poker (especially poker tournaments), you can make all the right moves and right decisions, but a lot of times you'll still lose because you either got unlucky or the other person makes irrational decisions and they somehow got lucky and beat you.

Same with relationships, you can make all the right moves, but if your partner makes irrational decisions, it ultimately won't work out.

That's because we don't live in a vacuum, the actions of others directly impact our lives.

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This movie is one of my top 5 favorites movies list. I make my potential girlfriends watch it. The ones that love it can move to the next round. The ones that say " omg its too depressing" or " I dont get it"..
they get nexted.

The acting in Blue Valentine seemed too real. It looked like a documentary on modern love. The acting was visceral. Masterpiece of a film. The director based it on his parents divorce. Too bad the director dropped the ball in his next film called a Place Beyond the Pines.

Another great movie is Vicky Christina Barcelona. It is very Redpill. Beautiful scenery and good acting.
Read the Wiki or Imdb page for Blue Valentine. A lot of it was improvised, especially the fights on screen. Gosling and Williams even lived together in a small apartment for a month on $200 every other week to prepare to play working class parts. The scene where Gosling plays the ukulele and Williams dances was total improv. All of this made it seem very "real" as there were rarely lines to rehearse.

isasda66

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's one movie the late great Doc Love talked about. Came out in 90s or early 2000s.

Damn, lol.

I'd like to know the name of the movie. That seems like a realistic portrayal of women's thinking.
Last American Virgin.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This movie was removed from Amazon Prime, then migrated to Netflix Canada. It's now being removed from Netflix Canada too. I did manage to watch the first 20 min of the movie to pre-view it. The set-up is okay, but not sure I can identify with any of the characters. Seem a bit too rough around the edges for my tastes (ie the main character portrayed by Goslin smokes, cusses, swears and looks like a bum, etc...). Not sure this is really worth my time to watch. Especially now that I might have to rent it as it could be leaving subscription based streaming altogether. There is too much blackpill content anyway for a movie like this to have relevance in 2024. There is probably nothing going to be eye-popping about it. Probably Drive (2011) is a better and brighter movie then this one is.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've re-read this thread again. Is the first 20 min like not so interesting or something and it gets better? Normally a movie is supposed to sell you on watching the rest of it on the first 20 min. I didn't feel any hook. I have lukewarm or little interest in the first 20 min is this supposed to get very interested later on and its like an intense drama that sticks the landing? I'm thinking that it's just way too worldly/secular for me to click with it. That's my thinking after watching the first 20 min. Perhaps I'll look at a trailer.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
Havent watched it but Dean should have known better than playing Captain Save a H0 and giving exclusivty to a single mom while he is childless.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Havent watched it but Dean should have known better than playing Captain Save a H0 and giving exclusivty to a single mom while he is childless.
I don't look at plot-points in movies, for spoilers, but that is what this is about? I don't think I would get involved with a single mother again. I had an ex-wife that was a single mother in the past and that ended too badly for me to consider giving that a second chance. Yes, you can be a nice guy and have all the best of intentions and see it end horribly because the woman can turn against you and bring out the worst in you and create a negative spiral loop until it all comes apart. It's a movie warning about dating single mothers? It's common knowledge on here that to avoid those women, esp. if you are childless yourself.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
These are the kind of posts we need on this forum. I wish more my guy friends from high school would have watched this movie blue valentine. I think most girls who watch this movie should know just like guys that getting married and knocked up in your twenties or even thirties is highly overrated! Ironic ryan Gosling is such an alpha male in real life. Also he did a movie with steve carell where he plays an alpha male dating coach.very under rated actor.