Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

MMA vs. STREET FIGHTING

Mister_Skinny_Jeanz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fight: definition: take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of weapons.

noun; a violent confrontation or struggle.

now i realize some of you guys on here dont actually want a ''fight'' key word ''struggle''

biting , eye gouges , breakin arms is mean to maim or kill , thats more of a survival mindset.
a desperate means of evening the odds against someone else who if you deploy these fatal techniques , im sure you have in your mind or they have said that they will kill you

FuzzX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theres no other reason to fight.

FuzzX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MMA is a sport for people who think they like violence.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Been using MMA since I was 18, so over 20 years. It doesn't suck, and it does help a lot. No so good against guns, but one on one or two one one, you can survive; usually.

FuzzX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't need to watch your videos, I have seen it first hand.

I am speaking from experience.
Trained in Judo and boxing, trust me the average guy on the street will not defeat the average trained fighter.
I watched LOTS of people walk into the boxing ring off the street, to strut their stuff.

None succeeded. All were suitably humiliated.
I don't think we're talking about the 'average guy on the street'. We are talking about survival fighting vs MMA and what Skinny Jeans should invest his time in. The point is that the ring/octagon/whatever is a game of rules where you can only use techniques that take your opponent to a certain level of hurt, what do you do once your sitting on the ground with this guy? He's coming back for more as soon as you let him go. Strikes with fists and kicks are impractical when someone has a baseball bat, gun or knife and the motivation to use it. Rarely will you ever be in a confrontation where the other guy is intent on fighting fair and tapping out, unless through your own stupidity or bravado. Most violent people are going to sucker punch you or grab you from behind. The ones who just want their ego stroked are going to "dude bro" you into submission like the guy who goes home to Starla every night. Those are the ones you can walk away from.

Blocking a fist is one thing, blocking a serrated metal object is another. Only an idiot is going to attack you with a barefist. If you had watched the video of the military trained Krav, you would have seen the difference between ring fighters and real fighters.

I am also speaking from experience, alot of it. BJJ is a nice thought, but unless you intend to take the fight to the ground, which is extremely deadly in most cases, not to mention impractical on concrete, you are at a distinct disadvantage. I believe most fights where MMA is 'useful' could have been avoided by walking away or not being in said place to begin with. If your spidey sense is tingling, its time to leave.

I've taken 12 martial arts including BJJ and regular Jui Jitsu. The types of people attracted to this style of fighting are meatheads and sports fans who wear UFC champ names and talk non-stop about 'the fight last night'. They are the worst kind of people to train with and they are usually the types of people to worry about 'fighter face'. Its not much different from the people who believe that the WWF is real. The UFC breeds bravado fighters and emboldens people who have something to prove.

None succeeded. All were suitably humiliated.

You probably won't watch it so I'll break it down for you: OZ Douche bag vs Meathead. Contrast this to the two guys knife fighting in Krava Maga, if something like this breaks out, someone isn't walking away. Training is training and fighting is fighting, something MMA fighters seem to forget because they can always 'tap out'.

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a style for every situation. Knee on belly is mostly from gi jiu jitsu, but it is perfect for pavement. When the other guy is down, instead of going for mount, place your shin on his stomach and grab his near elbow for balance. Only your back foot touches the pavement. As the other guy flops around, he will be the one losing skin and smacking his head against the concrete. A cop taught me that move. There are holds from gi jiu jitsu that you don't see in mma, but do transition well to the street. In an mma fight, the other guy is usually sweaty, greasy and hard to hold onto. Street clothes make it much easier to grab someone.

Last edited:

FuzzX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
On a side note, I was at the hospital yesterday for a Covid 19 test. Well there was this big security guard, guy had to have been pushing 380 to 400 lbs [fat]. When I arrived in Emerg there were these two homeless nut jobs screaming at each other in the parking lot. The security didn't do anything he just sat there staring at his monitor. I said "hey bro you better call the cops before things get ugly", they were also screaming at other random people. Dude just shrugged his shoulders. I asked him which outfit he was with (its a local one) and then he told me he used to be an EX ARMY RANGER. I sort of chuckled and he shot daggers through his eyes. Then I was called for my test.

I gotta ask you guys... what are the reqs to be an army ranger over there? Can you be a fat lard? How would this dude have ever become an army ranger?!?! I was under the impression that the rangers were extremely disciplined and would never let themselves get to this point. I'm pretty sure this is one of those stolen valor cases but if not, jesus sign me up. I love jelly donuts.

I asked him if he was an army ranger what was he doing working here? (in the hospital). He just stared at me in silence. Doesn't add up, pretty sure Rangers can get a job with government security or local police. Also... pretty easy to say that when you're in Canada, not so easy to tell people you were in JTF and not have someone call you on it.

Last edited:

King Lion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Early UFC

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
is MMA really any good for a street fight? if so how effective is it really? what other fighting styles should be incorporated with the mindset of walking awy from a fight healthy in one piece, with your girl.. safely
In my experience boxing would be your best bet. In boxing, it's all about knowing how to duck, dodge, find the right times to hit, and stamina. All of those 4 elements will take you very far in a street fight. Most guys fight like girls, meaning they throw punches and kicks like they are having an epilepsy event. Most street fights last about 2 or 3 minutes at the most for that reason. Meaning, like I said guys go all out and just throw random punches and kicks like there is no tomorrow. If you know how to duck, dodge, throw a solid 1 2 punches and have good stamina, you will be highly less likely to lose.

However, having said that, if you can incorporate other forms of fights like MMA, or Ju-Jitsu, etc then well no chance for the other guy unless he gets lucky with a punch or pulls a weapon.

Disclaimer: I only advise those forms of fighting for self-defense and survival, never with the intent to initiate or do malicious harm.

Modern Man Advice

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the small town I grew up in, there would be fist fights basically daily, even when the police showed up, we have free health care where I live so they would usually just stand and watch as the guys got it out of their system, then maybe take a guy to the hospital or press charges on a guy that regularly gave them a hard time.

I have saw a lot of street fights, lots, saw lots of brawls break out, saw people get jumped... Usually, the fight is over in one punch, most guys aren't really ready for a scrap, will back down or whatever, but if the fight isn't over after 1 punch, it's 90% going to the ground and the guy on top is going to stay on top and win, that is how normal fights go between people who have no training.

With the advent of Jiu-jitsu, this changes the street fight dynamic completely because the fight is almost always going to go to the ground, even wrestling, I mean it can help but good Jiu-jitsu will destroy wrestling unless your talking a big size difference, but pound for pound you are probably gonna get your a$$ kicked if your street fighting against somebody who knows Jiu-jitsu unless they quit, or you just daze him with a punch or something

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Early UFC
So I looked up Goodridges background. This video is new to me. It does not seem like he studied grappling arts. How was he able to apply that crucifix so well? Also, how effective is attempting a crucifix after sprawling? How come more people dont attempt the crucifix after sprawling? Did the wrestler just mess up really badly?

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I looked up Goodridges background. This video is new to me. It does not seem like he studied grappling arts. How was he able to apply that crucifix so well? Also, how effective is attempting a crucifix after sprawling? How come more people dont attempt the crucifix after sprawling? Did the wrestler just mess up really badly?
It's a move that only an amateur grappler would get caught in, like I believe Nelson put Kimbo Slice into one on the ultimate fighters show, as an example

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I mean it can help but good Jiu-jitsu will destroy wrestling unless your talking a big size difference, but pound for pound you are probably gonna get your a$$ kicked if your street fighting against somebody who knows Jiu-jitsu unless they quit, or you just daze him with a punch or something
Hey brotha I dont know if good ju jitsu will destroy wrestling on the street. I think I much rather be a wrestler. The BJJ guy is going to hurt himself trying to pull guard on concrete. The wrestler is going to really hurt the BJJ guy if he gets a double leg take down on concrete. Also, the wrestler can just avoid the BJJ guys guard and he will be fine. If he gets in the guard I dont know if the BJJ guy will have enough time to submit the wrestler. Even in the guard its kind of difficult to submit a person that knows a little BJJ. But I think you are correct if the fight took place on a soft mat.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a move that only an amateur grappler would get caught in, like I believe Nelson put Kimbo Slice into one on the ultimate fighters show, as an example
oh okay gotya. I guess they will instinctively pull their arm away. Makes sense. Thanks

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey brotha I dont know if good ju jitsu will destroy wrestling on the street. I think I much rather be a wrestler. The BJJ guy is going to hurt himself trying to pull guard on concrete. The wrestler is going to really hurt the BJJ guy if he gets a double leg take down on concrete. Also, the wrestler can just avoid the BJJ guys guard and he will be fine. If he gets in the guard I dont know if the BJJ guy will have enough time to submit the wrestler. Even in the guard its kind of difficult to submit a person that knows a little BJJ. But I think you are correct if the fight took place on a soft mat.
The thing is, wrestlers have very broad attacks, they require their entire body weight to be mobile, where as JJ is a targeted skillset, meaning he's going to be able to do alot with a little bit.

But you are right, the earth is the strongest opponent and if you get dropped on your head it's game over

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing is, wrestlers have very broad attacks, they require their entire body weight to be mobile, where as JJ is a targeted skillset, meaning he's going to be able to do alot with a little bit.

But you are right, the earth is the strongest opponent and if you get dropped on your head it's game over
I have never seen a Judo throw utilized in an actual street fight. I have done a little bit of it and it is scary stuff. What are your thoughts on it? I wish I had studied it when I was younger.