Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Messed up my career

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
So I'm originally an aircraft mechanical engineer.

Came out of school did and apprenticeship got employed after my appreachip and worked for a civilian company fixing military aircraft.

I did this for 12 years until the company closed and the workforce got made redundant. I got a big payout.

A relative was sick at the time so I decided to become their full time career plus at the time I was also renovating a property I owned outright.

I also did a bull**** part time job at that time.

So this went in for a number of years. A family member eventually took on my role of career and I moved to a a different county.

I found it hard to find engineering work and out of desperation i settled on retail job which involved driving and basically running a busy store.

I hated it and quit after a year. With the time I briefly went back to finish my renovations and get the property in compliance with rental laws. Been getting am income from my property since then.

I couldn't get back into engineering no matter how hard I tried and I wasn't getting a look it for any jobs now!

So I sort of gave up and concentrated on training my dog which I love (an escape from reality and the stress it not finding a job). Surviving on rental income.

Covid hit and my situation became impossible.

I moved back to my hometown recently where my property is. I'm currently living with family whilst I survive on my rental I come.

It's been a LONG time since I was fixing aircraft. I'm aware I look like a terrible candidate for any job, with huge career breaks and a pattern of just doing my own thing.

So here I am...

My career path started off great, then turned into a pile of crap. Huge career gaps and taking on and quitting silly little jobs.

I need to crawl out of this hole.

I have a passion for dogs and dog training. So I'm thinking about starting a dog walking business for steady income and transition into a trainer over time.

Or

I could keep plugging away firing off CVS hoping I'll get lucky.

I need an outside perspective. It feels like my bad choices have screwed my over so far.

Last edited:

Focal core

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your case was similar to mine, but not because of redundancy, i quit because of having a mess up bossed.. I was in food industry for 6 years.. After school and apprenticeship.

Trying to get the same post was nearly impossible, its like they know youre having the skill but they dont want to hire you.. Afraid of being undermine by your charm maybe? They would rather took a freshie, its easier to mold and be in charge in their perspective.

Long story short i was accepted in financial industry which ive never imagined i would be in and stick to it till today for good this time.. Even pandemic came financial industry can really take a hit like this one.

TLDR:Broaden your career perspective, not just focusing on one specific post of your studies , maybe you can be in logistic industry or any other that you feel good doing it.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to find a career coach who can show you a better mindset to leveraging your strengths. Perhaps there is another role in the industry your engineer experience will be applicable. Or other engineering fields to look into.

https://engineeringmanagementinstitute.org/the-podcast/

https://engineeringmanagementinstitute.org/one-on-one-career-coaching-for-engineers-1/

https://alumni.ucdavis.edu/career-resources/coaches-services/edward-gorbis

Asking internet strangers who know nothing of you is less effective....

Reactions: RBK

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Came out of school did and apprenticeship got employed after my appreachip and worked for a civilian company fixing military aircraft.

I did this for 12 years until the company closed and the workforce got made redundant. I got a big payout.

A relative was sick at the time so I decided to become their full time career plus at the time I was also renovating a property I owned outright.

So this went in for a number of years. A family member eventually took on my role of career and I moved to a a different county.

I found it hard to find engineering work and out of desperation i settled on retail job which involved driving and basically running a busy store.

I hated it and quit after a year. With the time I briefly went back to finish my renovations and get the property in compliance with rental laws. Been getting am income from my property since then.

I couldn't get back into engineering no matter how hard I tried and I wasn't getting a look it for any jobs now!

So I sort of gave up and concentrated on training my dog which I love (an escape from reality and the stress it not finding a job). Surviving on rental income.

I moved back to my hometown recently where my property is. I'm currently living with family whilst I survive on my rental I come.

It's been a LONG time since I was fixing aircraft. I'm aware I look like a terrible candidate for any job, with huge career breaks and a pattern of just doing my own thing.

So here I am...

My career path started off great, then turned into a pile of crap. Huge career gaps and taking on and quitting silly little jobs.

I have a passion for dogs and dog training. So I'm thinking about starting a dog walking business for steady income and transition into a trainer over time.

Or

I need an outside perspective. It feels like my bad choices have screwed my over so far.
You are 30. That means you've only lived 1 quarter of your entire life. Put things in perspective, you have about 60 years to figure out a new career or many careers if you want.

I would say first get to know yourself, forget the typical question "What are you passionate about?". Really get to know what you are good at, what you actually enjoy, and how you can gift that to society in a way you can make a living off it. There are so many ways you can build an income, its insane how people settle for a paycheck and waste their lives away.

Second, educate yourself financially. Learn about money and careers and business and etc. Understand how money works so you can focus on other more important things.

Lastly, if you weren't on this "hole", how else would you really appreciate it when life looks more promising down the line? Appreciate the bad/low moments in life. There is something for you to learn and grow from, find it.

Modern Man Advice

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You are 30. That means you've only lived 1 quarter of your entire life. Put things in perspective, you have about 60 years to figure out a new career or many careers if you want.

I would say first get to know yourself, forget the typical question "What are you passionate about?". Really get to know what you are good at, what you actually enjoy, and how you can gift that to society in a way you can make a living off it. There are so many ways you can build an income, its insane how people settle for a paycheck and waste their lives away.

Second, educate yourself financially. Learn about money and careers and business and etc. Understand how money works so you can focus on other more important things.

Lastly, if you weren't on this "hole", how else would you really appreciate it when life looks more promising down the line? Appreciate the bad/low moments in life. There is something for you to learn and grow from, find it.

Modern Man Advice
Seriously? Nobody is guaranteed to live any length of time...certainly not til age 90.

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seriously? Nobody is guaranteed to live any length of time...certainly not til age 90.
Well its not the 1700's anymore. Life expectancy isn't 30 anymore. The average life expectancy is around 80-90, if you live right and don't get unlucky, that is. But let's say worst-case scenario, this guy has until 60 and that is lowering it quite a bit. That is still 50% of his life left. What can you do and accomplish in 30 years? In my eyes, a lot. But it's all about perspective, and that is mine.

Hope you get my point.

Modern Man Advice

RickTheToad

Reaction score

So here I am...

Or

Time to look back at the dude in the mirror and ask what he wants to do with his life. Perhaps, you want to go into real estate since you already have one rental? Perhaps you want to become a real estate agent and then you can sell homes, rental homes and run property management services. Since you are handy with your hands, you'd might enjoy that.

It's always best to be your own boss if you can. Since you are not afraid to work with your hands, there are so many options you can go after. You just need to look at things objectively and not feel sorry for yourself. Not to be blunt, no one cares. I am not trying to be rude, just direct. You have the tools to turn sh!t around.

So, my question to you is.. What are you going to do to turn your situation around?

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to train dogs, cop dogs are where the money is. Bomb sniffing and k9 narcotics dogs sell for tens of thousands of dollars.
I wonder how he would be able to obtain the necessary training devices. At any random corner in the ghetto? "No officer I'm not a drug addict, I bought this crack to train my dogs".

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder how he would be able to obtain the necessary training devices. At any random corner in the ghetto? "No officer I'm not a drug addict, I bought this crack to train my dogs".
You would have to talk to a chemist for a better answer, but I do know cannabis sniffing dogs used to be trained with a specific terpene and not actual weed. The terpene is a legal chemical that gives the weed its smell. Thc is odorless. The legalization of hemp in the us has really messed with the cop k9s. There has sprung up what will be a briefly lived industry of untraining k9s to hit on cannabis, because so much of it is legal now.

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

So here I am...

Or

You need to think about whether you really want to get back into engineering. If you do, then perhaps you could do some courses or apprenticeships that could get you back in. Maybe you could also look at opportunities further afield. I'd imagine smaller airlines or flight training centres might also be interested.

RBK

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You have your health, and you're young. That's more than a lot have. Remember that.

lost_blackbird

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I literally have the same eventual goal, I'm sitting out some time in a house I own in Bristol UK so I can
avoid capital gains tax (approx £40,000) when it's sold then I'm off to Wales to do exactly this. Doing some
online courses to help with my goal in advance of when I can get out of here.

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
I literally have the same eventual goal, I'm sitting out some time in a house I own in Bristol UK so I can
avoid capital gains tax (approx £40,000) when it's sold then I'm off to Wales to do exactly this. Doing some
online courses to help with my goal in advance of when I can get out of here.
I'm in Wales. Small world.

Charlylawr

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you had to face such a situation. You remind me of my father. When I was ready to give up, he told me he had put so much effort into becoming a lawyer. After school, he went to university to study law, but he met my mother, and my older brother was born soon. With his wife and children, he couldn't afford to go to university, so he started working as an ordinary electrician after he finished the usual courses like https://www.electricianclasses.com/, for example. By age 35, he was almost disappointed in life, but it was enough to regain faith in his strength and re-enter the university, graduate from it and become a lawyer by age 45.