Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Martial Art

atomsk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DX_Flyer
I seem to lack balance, fast response, and I dont see myself putting alot of power into things.

I'm thinking of taking Hapkido or Tai-Chi. Can i get some opinions on either one?
you have to put all your power into martial arts, even if you are weak. Something like Aikido helps you gain better balance. Hapkido is really cool, I want to take it myself but there arent any schools around, taichi looks pretty wimpy and fruity from what Ive seen. I took kickboxing and aikido both for a few months, I think I am going to keep doing KB for now, even though it hurts.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Soshyopathe
Is taichi even fighting?

Definately do hapkido, it's the bomb-diggity.
No, tai chi looks like its for old ass people who cant hit shyt.

Vronski

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am no big expert in this business. I did some boxing 10 years ago, it was quite good. You still can take out 90% of male population.

Judo is considered to be one of the most effective fighting styles. You dont need to have big muscle mass, you just grab clothes or limb and twist it, or wrap a guy's coat around his neck.

There is a competition with no rules, the guys fight in the cage. Different styles, different people. The only rule is not to kick in the groin. Judo guys win it all the time.

Plus, different variations of judo were adopted by most armies of the world as far as I know.

Then there is "street fighting" style. I'm translating from russian here. Its very effective agains street guys.

random afc

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm in a karate/jeet kune do/grappling/kickboxing(muay thai) kind of deal and it's awesome. i'm on a break though because i currently have VERY little free time. find something that you're good at and that you enjoy and that will teach you to defend yourself. as far as putting up with pain, any way you go, there will always be pain, but tolerance is inherent to follow.

good luck

Polaris

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well a lot of people here try to act like they are experts, but
really don't know ****. Some of the best advice came
from the person who admitted to NOT being an expert (though
the part about Judo people usually dominating MMA is very
incorrect).

I'm not going to make a long winded post full of recommendations
and comparisons, so I'll give you some simple advice. If you want
to learn how to fight then make sure the you will be applying
what you learn against a resisting opponent at the school
you choose.

Tai Chi is indeed a fighting art, and a very effective one at that.
It's just that very few people practice it combatively and even
fewer are actually competent at it.

Beatnik

Don Juan
Reaction score

a good Style in the hands of dip **** who doesnt care for it, or wish to go through the crap to learn it, is never going to be effective..... The most important factor is you find something you enjoy and am willing to work hard at.... you wont find it by asking here, you will find it by going out and trying as many different kinds as you can. There is NO best style.... There is no formula to determine what you would be good at....

Pull out the phone book, at start at the begining with what you KNOW you like and dont like. You have a concern? Ask the instructors about it, comparing to what others said.... Given a month and i think you will find something you like.

Phenomenom101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Usually there is no one style for a person. If you decide to take martial arts the style you choose will mold you to be good. Lots and lots of practice are the only things that will help you be good. You thought tha muay thai is a good style and its true because those students are tought to be tough and have intense training. How good you will be will depend on how much you learn and practice no matter what style.

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Have a look at Wing Chun...and make sure that the school you go to does sparring on a regular basis...

Wing Chun Kung-Fu is a very street effective martial art...just remember that how you train is how you'll fight...

BJJ for the ground is a good idea but if you're not into it then...

Also if you can work on your 'conditioning' will be of great importance..both your legs and arms...

I also thing that you should learn a bit of boxing....and learn to spar boxers and other martial artists with the wing chun you learn...etc...

I'm not a person who is particulary good at martial art but that's coz I'm only a beginer but I have done lots of reading on the web. You got to find a place that regularly allows you to use your techniques against resisting opponents..and that means sparring...

Try various schools out and see what you like...just don't go in there thinking you'll turn into superman overnight..

Here are some sites that may be of interest to you :)

http://www.adcombat.com/ubbADCC_For...+Fight+Forum&number=1&DaysPrune=45&LastLogin=

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/index.php

DX_Flyer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, an update -

I just visited a tai-chi place and scheduled an appointment for an introduction class. I got there and they said it was $15 bux for an intro class, and the class was about to start in 10 min. I saw alot of adults and no teens or kids, so I assumed that this was more of a meditation place then a tai-chi. The lady told me that they go into martial arts form of tai-chi after they're done with the mental part.

Anway, I got home and notified my dad and he said that he has taken previous tai-chi classes before, and warned me that tai-chi centers are not a great place, they push u into spending money to do things. So he has agreed to take me to a tae-kwan-do instructor and get an introduction class scheduled.

What do you guys think of this? Should i take my dads word and goto tae-kwan-do? or try out this tai-chi place and give it a shot? I really want to take tai-chi because its helps your mind and body and teaches u martial arts, rather than just straight up martial arts. But both is good. Any opinions? advice? comments?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would take TKD over tai chi anyday.

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by oakraiderz2
I would take TKD over tai chi anyday.
I agree totally but there are better martial arts to do than TKD in my opinion. You got to choose a good TKD school as well as there there are some that focus only on the sporting aspects of the martial art and not the self defence.

Also it really depends what you want from a martial art. Different martial arts suit different people.

Jin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
oh my god there a some really ignorant people here.....

ok... go to sherdog.com and just hang around the standup technique forum as well as grappling forum for a few weeks and then come back and tell me Shotokan is deadly or that Judo is used in full-contact events....

screw all that sh!t....

to my main point again.... decide what you want to do and what you expect to get out of martial arts and find something that fits that description

if you want realistic self-defense, try brazilian jujutsu and boxing... the only draw-back is if there are multiple attackers.... (and there almost always are)

muay thai is also very effective... but you have to adapt it to make it work on the street since its mainly for the ring.... like kicking to the groin, eye-gouging, grappling, biting...ect..ect..

kung-fu, wing chung, and definitly tai chi are NOT effective fighting arts..... at least not any more.... how many kung fu guys do YOU see in UFC or ANY full-contact event...?

none whatsover....

there is something to be said about training for the situation.... against a resisting opponent... thats the problem with alot of martial arts today... aka- McDojos, they don't train realisticly (sp?)

let me give you an example... you teacher is showing you the next technique... he has a guy stand passivly in front of him while he says "Ok grab my wrist" so the guy grabs his wrist but still just stands there holding the teachers wrist.... then the teacher shows you how to break his grip of your wrist and put him in an arm lock....

see something wrong with this...?? NO ONE is going to stand still during a violent encounter and let you put them in an arm lock..... they will be punching you in the face, kicking, scratching, screaming and head butting your a$$ into oblivion while your trying to arm lock him...

Best,

Jin

ps--- get a new handle bastard! ... lol...
;)

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jin

kung-fu, wing chung, and definitly tai chi are NOT effective fighting arts..... at least not any more.... how many kung fu guys do YOU see in UFC or ANY full-contact event...?

none whatsover....

there is something to be said about training for the situation.... against a resisting opponent... thats the problem with alot of martial arts today... aka- McDojos, they don't train realisticly (sp?)

let me give you an example... you teacher is showing you the next technique... he has a guy stand passivly in front of him while he says "Ok grab my wrist" so the guy grabs his wrist but still just stands there holding the teachers wrist.... then the teacher shows you how to break his grip of your wrist and put him in an arm lock....

see something wrong with this...?? NO ONE is going to stand still during a violent encounter and let you put them in an arm lock..... they will be punching you in the face, kicking, scratching, screaming and head butting your a$$ into oblivion while your trying to arm lock him...

Best,

Jin

ps--- get a new handle bastard! ... lol...
;)
I can see what you're trying to say but that's why I said that you need to find a school that trains realistically against resisting opponents... It's no good as you state above for an instructor to demonstrate a move and that's it. You've got to practice how you would use it in a real fight at full speed. (sparring helps in this process somewhat)

BTW-I'd also like to point out that not all kung fu is impractical or useless....if you train hard in it and condition yourself well you can fight well. It helps if you cross train as well. That seems to be what the UFC has pointed out. That it's not good enough to know only a striking art and have no clue about grappling...

In a similar way, it's no good to train kung fu and not know how to fight a boxer....

I do believe that how you train is how you'll fight so you'd better train hard no matter what you do. It is the practitioner who wins the fight not the (martial art)...

btw--some martial arts are better suited for the ring. I don't believe kung-fu is that good in the ring...but that doesn't mean it isn't effective in other environments such as the street.

DX_Flyer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jin

Didnt bruce lee use wing chung.... and people know his name to this day and will forever..... hm.. i wonder why. So what your saying is that kung-fu, wing chung, and tai-chi are all useless and nobody should learn them? Lets take a look at jet-li one of the most admired fighters alive. Also, not everything evolved around UFC, people wanna learn martial arts incase they are attacked in the street, not to goto UFC. kthxbye

Phenomenom101

Don Juan
Reaction score
IF you truly want to learn some self defense you can try to look for Kung Fu San Soo. I myself think that it is a very effective style in that they teach very violent methods of defense. As in, eye gouging, groing kicking/punching, hair pulling, etc. I myslef learned Jeet Kune Do for about 5 years until I had to move but have been practicing ever since. Give Kung Fu some consideration. If you are looking for actual fighting methods that are effective in any situation I recommend San Soo. Although in any style you can always apply your techniques to any situation if you think about it. Still though, try to find a San Soo if you can.

Polaris

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jin

That is very incorrect. People are very ignorant about what
Tai Chi really is. They see some geriatrics waving their hands
around in meaningless ways on TV or in the park, and they
think that's what it's all about. Contrary to popular belief
it's a very effective and dangerous style in the hands of a
skilled practitioner, but legit combative Tai Chi practitioners
with real skill are very rare. There are other "kung fu" styles
(Wing Chun included) that can be very effective.

Lastly, don't start pulling the "UFC, Pride, etc." argument
with me. Not to brag, but I train at what's considered one of
the best MMA schools in the world. Point being the statements
and judgements I make are based on experience not from
just watching a few events. I've been on both sides of the coin.

Jin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bruce Lee isnt what people make him to be.... there is an article about bruce Lee and his abilities on the net....

he is remembered as an actor and as a person who started the martila arts boom, but as an actual fighter... there is much debate on his actually abilities as a fighter.... we will never know....

again... Jet Li is an ACTOR.... he studied wushu... which is very flowery and pretty but will get you laid out on the street.... put Jet Li in the cage against Chuck Liddel or John Allesso and lets see who walks out and who gets carried out... my money is on chuck every time....

and you think just cause someone fights in the UFC they can't fight in the street...? UFC and all the other full-contact events are the CLOSEST thing you can get to actual street-fighting...

sure Muay Thai and boxing is meant for the ring, but is anyone going to argue they can't defend themselves in a "real-world encounter"...?

ok....Polaris... I will give you that... as you stated before.. its the martial atist and not the art... agree 100%, as well as your statement about cross-training....

my statement about kung fu and tai chi was made because I have not seen ONE... count ONE.. person, on TV or anywhere , that demonstrates that it is an effective martial art...

and by effective I mean a violent one-one person street encounter or in a full contact event... not one ever.....

and if someone can show me a video or some conclusive proof, I will change my opinion.... but somehow I don't think thats going to happen any time soon.....

Best,

Jin

Phenomenom101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tai Chi I have heard is effective but only if you go through all of the course. I have a friend that took Tai Chi but it took half a year to just study a small part of the meditation. Tai Chi is not much of an external style as much as an INTERNAL STYLE. DO NOT get confused by these. Tai Chi is not as much as a fighting style as much as a internal style. I myself have studied Qigong and as an internal style I believe it is very effective. You learn how to meditate and relax also learn how to take care of yourself (for example, eating healthy, developing health, etc.). Just understand that there are two type of styles, INTERNAL STYLES and EXTERNAL STYLES.

DX_Flyer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jin
Bruce Lee isnt what people make him to be.... there is an article about bruce Lee and his abilities on the net....

he is remembered as an actor and as a person who started the martila arts boom, but as an actual fighter... there is much debate on his actually abilities as a fighter.... we will never know....

again... Jet Li is an ACTOR.... he studied wushu... which is very flowery and pretty but will get you laid out on the street.... put Jet Li in the cage against Chuck Liddel or John Allesso and lets see who walks out and who gets carried out... my money is on chuck every time....

and you think just cause someone fights in the UFC they can't fight in the street...? UFC and all the other full-contact events are the CLOSEST thing you can get to actual street-fighting...

sure Muay Thai and boxing is meant for the ring, but is anyone going to argue they can't defend themselves in a "real-world encounter"...?

ok....Polaris... I will give you that... as you stated before.. its the martial atist and not the art... agree 100%, as well as your statement about cross-training....

my statement about kung fu and tai chi was made because I have not seen ONE... count ONE.. person, on TV or anywhere , that demonstrates that it is an effective martial art...

and by effective I mean a violent one-one person street encounter or in a full contact event... not one ever.....

and if someone can show me a video or some conclusive proof, I will change my opinion.... but somehow I don't think thats going to happen any time soon.....

Best,

Jin
Sigh... Seems you totally misunderstood my entire reply. You stated that those fighting styles of martial arts are totally useless. Also, get your facts straight, jet li and bruce lee werent born actors, they got into the acting business because they were very good at martial arts and was offered an oppertunity. Both bruce lee and jet li are masters at what they do, so please dont go about ranting how they're movie stars and such if you dont know what your talking about.

Your telling people not to use those types of martial arts because they suck in UFC. If you have any logic, you know that 99% of the people learn martial arts because it helps them and is for self-defense. I HARDLY see someone say "I wanna learn martial arts so I can go on UFC". A ltitle exxageration there but what im trying to prove is that I said everything polaris said, except I added my bruce lee and jet li information.

Also, must you see it on TV or media to believe it is powerful? Seems like it because all you care about is who wins the UFC. I think your time would be better invested if you actually found out about martial arts, instead of watching UFC and saying martial arts is useless.