Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Martial Art

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What other martial arts are good and actually work? Ive done TKD but that was boring and so repetitive. I dont want any grappling shyt kuz thats not my style. Id rather not do kung fu kuz im 6'3 and im kinda too tall. I like muay thai but i dont think i can handle kickin shyt with my shins. So what else out there would work?

Kwah

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im told Mixed Martial arts is reall good stuff.

I have to learn it here when I get my Army training started so I suppose I can tell you in a couple months.

But otherwise I would say something like Judo or street fighting for protection and boxing for fitness.

Sergio

Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do you want to learn Martial Arts? If you were in troubles, you would strike first or counterattack?
If you don´t like to start the fights, you could learn Karate or Aikido.
Karate is a well-balanced martial art, which concentrates on counterattacks and the efectivity of its techniques.
If you are good, you can win without grappling much.
Aikido concentrates on using the opponents strength against themselves.

Jin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ask yourself why you want to learn martial arts..?

then I can tell you what to look for....

Best,

Kaz

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to learn them kuz theres just something about them that i like. Having the ability to defend yourself is a pleasent thought. I dont want something thats just do the work but have no fun. Sparring would be prefered.

Beatnik

Don Juan
Reaction score
=|

You may have trouble finding a martial art to suit you, at some level, your going to work on techniques you dont like, experience pain, or end up doing alot of repetition.... These things are pretty much uniform points accross all martial arts... The trick, is getting over it, your never going to get to spar alot if you dont learn the techniques..... Here's my personal idea: Join the best one you can find that you enjoy the most, then gather any other martial friends at a house every now and then, extracuricular sparring.... Thats often the instructive time you will have.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get ready for a list of 50 replies or so, saying which style is best.

I'll start: Shao Lin Kung Fu

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ummm...NO. I prefer something with kicking and punchin. Kung fu would be tight. Anyone else wanna add their 2 cents?

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it's true shaolin, it is much more than "tight." It becomes a lifestyle of meditation, chi studies, iron fist, and kickin some serious ass. Later in training you learn to strike chi points that paralyze, intant-kill, and delayed-death. You pick one of the twelve animals, and you become that animal and study their attacks. The tiger, monkey, horse, turtle, bird, pigeon, swallow, snake, ostrich, eagle, bear, and dragon.... not sure how you are supposed to study the dragon though.....

Imagine sitting next to a cobra, mimicking movement with your hands. Taunting it with your own motions. It's hard core. I guess if you only want the fighting aspect, you can find a generic kung-fu place that doesn't include all of this.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Squy
karate?

Yeh i was thinkin about that but theres A LOT of different styles of it.

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
I see 4 key words here: Sparring, kicking, punching, muay thai (although you chose not to do it)

c'mon man, it's obvious! Kickboxing is what ya need to get into, it's perfect for you! I myself am a kickboxer and I love it

Sergio

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am going on a trip right now but next week i will post the differences between the styles, i have lots of info about them, just need to find it.

Squy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by oakraiderz2
Yeh i was thinkin about that but theres A LOT of different styles of it.
Choose Shotokan, its the best if you want to fight. It meant Deadly or something like that.

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Squy
Choose Shotokan, its the best if you want to fight. It meant Deadly or something like that.
lol, what? Shotokan is not the best style of karate, not by far, it's impractical and easy to counter. The only styles of karate that are even decent are chinese kenpo and kyokushin (the latter has actually been successful in no holds barred events)

Squy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jinn
lol, what? Shotokan is not the best style of karate, not by far, it's impractical and easy to counter. The only styles of karate that are even decent are chinese kenpo and kyokushin (the latter has actually been successful in no holds barred events)
Check this link http://www3.sympatico.ca/jeffrey.muir/jeffksty.htm I dont think kyokushin is in that list

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
ya it is, look in the "other styles" link

it's not among the best known styles of karate but it's proven to be effective, if I recall correctly, it is the first style bas rutten (a legend in no holds barred for those of you who don't know him) mastered

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So what exactly are the differences between different styles like goju ryu and shorin ryu? And the differences between them all?

DX_Flyer

Don Juan
Reaction score
I seem to lack balance, fast response, and I dont see myself putting alot of power into things.

I'm thinking of taking Hapkido or Tai-Chi. Can i get some opinions on either one?