Male Modeling ...

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So I've been told by several girls that I should model, and I didn't take it seriously until I stumbled onto a workout video on youtube by a Ford model and thought to myself, "hey this could be kinda cool." I'm not being conceited in any way, but this does seem like an easy way to make some money, get free clothes, and meet hot girls.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4176/dsc000251kf7.jpg

I don't think I fit the typical model category, but do any of you know how one would get into the whole modeling scene? How would you even start besides getting a portofolio?

I'm a bit buzzed right now so forgive me if I'm not making any sense.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
HandyAndy said:
i think you can pull it off
Well I'd like to try and see, but my question is actually how do you get into male modeling. I don't have the greatest body in the world like most of the print models, but I'll work on that at the gym... I hope that my face would be interesting enough to have someone want me to model for them though. I'm kind of wondering how would you get started in the whole deal. There isn't much stuff on this on google that I can find.

Sanity_Cleaver

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah you have the looks to do- primarily for print

If you want work in any such industry, you have to be resourceful.

First thing is you need a portfolio. Go hire a photographer or go to some glamour photo studio and get some snaps done. Mind you, that will be expensive. We are talking 3 to 4 digit $$ cost here.

Then it comes down to simple issue of finding an agent. There are lots of modelling agencies around- some are specific, some take anyone. Make sure you know what kind of modelling you want to get into too- catwalk, still photography, etc. Do some research on the matter, and shop around. Dont take the first thing you get offered unless it happens to be really good- those agents can get awfully anal about contract details and stuff so watch what you sign. Get to meet some people in the industry already, specificially other models- male of female- and ask around waht the best/most reputable agencies are for the type you are looking for.
I'm an actor so i deal with bloody agents quite a bit- but im assuming modelling agencies are hardly different.
First rule of thumb is to get a agent interested in representing you. You pay them to get you work so you bloody well want them to do it. Most acting ones charge between 5 and 10% comission on your work, so im assuming modelling is too.
Some agencies represent a lot of different things- models, actors, singers, extras, yadda yadda. You'll get work with them, but you'll never get anything big. Usually extras work in the local soap. Try go for an agency that only does models.
Some will also ask you for an up front 'joining fee'. Dont be duped- if an agency really wants you, they'll sign you up for free because they know you'll make them money.

Then once you'r booked in, just make it a habit of calling every so often to pester them about any work thats come in. This gives you a name around the office, and makes them want to forward work over to you first to shut you up.

Oh- and male models (at least here in Oz) have to be between 5'8 and 6'3- otherwise they wont take you: period. I got rejected because i was 6'4. Tough world, but if you're actually serious about it- give it a go.
Oh and be prepared to be stereotyped as a pretty boy airhead. Good luck man.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sanity_Cleaver said:
Yeah you have the looks to do- primarily for print

If you want work in any such industry, you have to be resourceful.

First thing is you need a portfolio. Go hire a photographer or go to some glamour photo studio and get some snaps done. Mind you, that will be expensive. We are talking 3 to 4 digit $$ cost here.

Then it comes down to simple issue of finding an agent. There are lots of modelling agencies around- some are specific, some take anyone. Make sure you know what kind of modelling you want to get into too- catwalk, still photography, etc. Do some research on the matter, and shop around. Dont take the first thing you get offered unless it happens to be really good- those agents can get awfully anal about contract details and stuff so watch what you sign. Get to meet some people in the industry already, specificially other models- male of female- and ask around waht the best/most reputable agencies are for the type you are looking for.
I'm an actor so i deal with bloody agents quite a bit- but im assuming modelling agencies are hardly different.
First rule of thumb is to get a agent interested in representing you. You pay them to get you work so you bloody well want them to do it. Most acting ones charge between 5 and 10% comission on your work, so im assuming modelling is too.
Some agencies represent a lot of different things- models, actors, singers, extras, yadda yadda. You'll get work with them, but you'll never get anything big. Usually extras work in the local soap. Try go for an agency that only does models.
Some will also ask you for an up front 'joining fee'. Dont be duped- if an agency really wants you, they'll sign you up for free because they know you'll make them money.

Then once you'r booked in, just make it a habit of calling every so often to pester them about any work thats come in. This gives you a name around the office, and makes them want to forward work over to you first to shut you up.

Oh- and male models (at least here in Oz) have to be between 5'8 and 6'3- otherwise they wont take you: period. I got rejected because i was 6'4. Tough world, but if you're actually serious about it- give it a go.
Oh and be prepared to be stereotyped as a pretty boy airhead. Good luck man.
I'm 6' 1" without shoes, so I hope that's gonna be alright.

You gave a ton of great advice man! I'll start by googling info on making a good modeling portfolio and then find agents in Seattle which I can show my portfolio to.

I'm already stereotyped as a pretty boy airhead, so it's not like it'll be any different than it is now. Once people get to know me though, they realize that I'm actually a nice person who sticks to his word... lol

I've seen those modeling agencies on the Internet that ask you to pay an upfront fee, but from what you've said and from my gut instinct, it does seem like they're out to scam you out of your money.

Thanks for the time you put into writing your post man. I'll definitely find out how much starting up a portfolio will really cost, and I'll try and think this over, because I'll be pretty disappointed if I spend that kinda money and no agencies want to sign me...

meitenesrigas

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
(1) What kind of modeling? There are a zillion different kinds. Anyone can be a working model. The 14 year old girl you see in Italian Vogue is a model. The 30 year stripper in a men's magazine is a model. The fat man sitting on a couch in a local electronic store advert. is a model. There are even animal models. Hand models. Children models. Alternative models. All sizes can model. You can be short, tall, fat, young, old, pretty, ugly, deformed, crippled, athletic, etc. Clients are all looking for something different.

Tell me: What on earth do these two have in common?
http://www.modelscouts.com/images/mature_models.jpg
A mature model. Most are older American women.

http://models.com/model_culture/model_of_week/paulina/1.html
A High-Fashion model. Found between the ages of 13 - 17. Males can be much older than that. Usually discovered by swarthy men in Eastern European malls on the weekend while they are looking to buy a small cup of ice cream from McDonalds (the girls not the men).

(2) Male modeling is dominated by homosexuals.

(3) You don't need to spend money on a portfolio right now. Anybody who tells you that has no clue what he is saying. An actor and a model are miles apart. Find a decent local agency (mother agent) and they should put you on the right track. Never give anyone money unless you know why. Your "book" will be done with the guidance of your model management firm. You don't know what clients want.

(4) Don't listen to some stupid girl who tells you that you should.

Whatever you do, don't go into it thinking that you will make much money. You won't.

eminence

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
try to get into female modeling, you look like a chick.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL!!! i know who you are!!!

all the signs... you're an OLD member of this site. you're the one who used to post your picture ALL the time trying to get people to say you're good looking... and you were the one who posted your picture on free modeling ads trying to get agents! LMAO! you used to get flamed like CRAZY!!! HAHAAHHAAH!!!

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Michele said:
LOL!!! i know who you are!!!

all the signs... you're an OLD member of this site. you're the one who used to post your picture ALL the time trying to get people to say you're good looking... and you were the one who posted your picture on free modeling ads trying to get agents! LMAO! you used to get flamed like CRAZY!!! HAHAAHHAAH!!!
Haha, it's no secret I used to try modeling without much success on those free online agencies. And I am an old member of this site. I had a girlfriend for about a year and disappeared from this site until recently. I'm single again and I'm trying to step my game up since being in a relationship made me stop working on my game almost entirely.

I used to be very insecure about my appearance, and now I'm much more confident in myself. Though I seriously would like to break it into the entertainment/advertising world.

I'm not fishing for compliments, but I do take pride in the way I take care of my appearance. I try and lend advice to members who have questions pertaining to fashion or personal care. While I'm no expert, I offer whatever I can.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ChapStick said:
Haha, it's no secret I used to try modeling without much success on those free online agencies. And I am an old member of this site. I had a girlfriend for about a year and disappeared from this site until recently. I'm single again and I'm trying to step my game up since being in a relationship made me stop working on my game almost entirely.

I used to be very insecure about my appearance, and now I'm much more confident in myself. Though I seriously would like to break it into the entertainment/advertising world.

I'm not fishing for compliments, but I do take pride in the way I take care of my appearance. I try and lend advice to members who have questions pertaining to fashion or personal care. While I'm no expert, I offer whatever I can.
you should post your picture on hotornot.com if you didnt already do that...

my opinion?...youre a good looking dude, though young....but pack on 40 -45 lbs of muscle....in 10 years when your face gets more distinguished you'd look like a typical abercrombie model.

i hav a really handsome face too but i dont think i can model being that im only 5'5.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ken785 said:
you should post your picture on hotornot.com if you didnt already do that...

my opinion?...youre a good looking dude, though young....but pack on 40 -45 lbs of muscle....in 10 years when your face gets more distinguished you'd look like a typical abercrombie model.

i hav a really handsome face too but i dont think i can model being that im only 5'5.
Yeah, I've already posted my pic on hotornot just for kicks lol I've got 59 votes so far. As the number of votes goes up though, I'm sure my rating will go down. I don't think hotornot is accurate though, since most dudes who are ugly that just post a shirtless picture will usually get a 9 rating lol and any girl that shows cleavage will get a 9 rating regardless of how ugly her face is.

Eh who care that you're 5' 5"... I've seen quite a few shorter guys with their arm around taller hotties who don't seem to care at all. So even if you can't model, you damn sure are still able to get girls!

I remember when I was 13 I wanted to be shorter cuz everything would look so stupid on me being taller. My shoes would be too big and I was embarassed, and my jeans would look ridiculous and I didn't fit into my clothes that well. I was pretty damn ugly freshman year! Haha!! On top of that I was an uber nerd!

Those dudes who used to be shorter than me Freshman year are ****ing giants now in college! I remember being a hell of a lot taller than them, it's crazy!

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score
ChapStick said:
Well I'd like to try and see, but my question is actually how do you get into male modeling. I don't have the greatest body in the world like most of the print models, but I'll work on that at the gym... I hope that my face would be interesting enough to have someone want me to model for them though. I'm kind of wondering how would you get started in the whole deal. There isn't much stuff on this on google that I can find.
Click on some links, theres some good stuff here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...lt&cd=1&q=how+to+get+started+modeling&spell=1

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HandyAndy said:
chapstick was being nice.

...you're an idiot. anyone can figure out how to google for answers. :rolleyes:

i should just reply to every thread even though i don't know what im talking about by google-ing "how to ####"

"here some stuff i put together myself by google-ing your question for you"

"thanks michele l'arcangelo!"

"no problem, i know what im talking about, its no big deal"

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score
Michele said:
chapstick was being nice.

...you're an idiot. anyone can figure out how to google for answers. :rolleyes:

i should just reply to every thread even though i don't know what im talking about by google-ing "how to ####"

"here some stuff i put together myself by google-ing your question for you"

"thanks michele l'arcangelo!"

"no problem, i know what im talking about, its no big deal"
Uhm, he searched the wrong thing, and i linked him to a better page of usefull links.

"THanks! I was googling **** like "how to male model" etc.. And I was coming up with online agencies and **** for girls, but not really stuff for males.."

I dont see how im an idiot....and neither is chapstick, he just worded his search differently.