Long hair, or short hair on a man?

PackDaddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether continuing to grow my hair out (to the bottom of my head) is alright, or if I should cut it.

I'm also an accounting/finance major and will be starting an internship with Deloitte Touche this summer.

I've thought about this from multiple angles, which are:

Business/Respect - Long hair can send a message to others saying you're liberal, and maybe even a little out of control. But, if you can rock it, it also can say you're one cool/badass dude. However, I feel like shorter hair might actually command more respect.

Sexuality/Girls - Long hair on a guy can say to women, "I'm fun and will put good use to your body in the bedroom." Not sure whether the consensus prefers short hair, or long hair. I know long hair is associated with a woman's femininity. I would think some women wouldn't like it because it can send a feminine signal, while some girls think it is attractive. I am muscular though, so even if some women associate my long hair with femininity my muscles come up to bat and show otherwise.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
I think it's a compromise between work and puss.

From a PURELY attracting women standpoint, I say rock the long hair if you got it.

But a more conservative (and possibly shorter style) is probably better for work.

How do you rock a shorter style without losing sex appeal? Probably need an athletic build to go with it. Then it's more like, "I need short low maintenance hair (or shaved/buzzed head) for my athletic lifestyle."

Short hair on a non-athletic guy is boring.

ScottMustaine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're going to get most women with haircut that is with lenght of Justin Bieber at the moment http://images5.fanpop.com/image/pho...oot-2012-justin-bieber-31177743-1348-1600.jpg .

My hair is like over 14" long and goes back to back of my hair.

I'm kind of in rock and metal so girls from that area interest me, and there are girls that like long haired guys. But most of them prefer shorter hairstyles.

Though I too, plan soon cutting it.

Hydrak

Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends. Some guys (nikolaj coster-waldau) suits a lot better in longer hair, while dudes like Brad pitt are better in short. I prefer trimmed on the sides/back and longer hair up front.

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on ones facial structure.

ScottMustaine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Find out what kind of shape is your head.

Then look up for hairstyles that could suit your head shape for both men and women.

For example you got square face.

Google for " Men hairstyles (for) square face "
"Women hairstyles for square face"
" Men long hairstyle for square face"

Plenty of examples.

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't cut mine in a year, after regretfully going from long to short.

Now it's as long as before I cut it, and I am trying to see how long I can go without cutting it before I get a ton of split ends. Gotta keep the hairs moist though, I use coconut oil:cheer:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Either long or short hair can work to your benefit, it just depends on your personality and individual style. Short hair can be seen as more masculine, and long hair can get you that rebel look.

I used to wear my hair long at times when I was younger, but I definitely like it short now because I can't be arsed to deal with it when it's long. Too much hair care, takes longer to wash, dry, and comb it, etc. In general I think women see it as unmanly if you spend too much time on your hair.

You might also want to keep it short for business purposes, depending on what you do. Long hair is often seen as unprofessional.

Zion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Had long hair.Hated it.
Have short hair now. Loving it.

Except for my dad , literally everyone tells me that I look a lot better with short hair.

Test it out ,but for me , if not anything else , I'm simply in fvcking love with the comfort level of short hair. I feel free.

ScottMustaine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zion said:
Had long hair.Hated it.
Have short hair now. Loving it.

Except for my dad , literally everyone tells me that I look a lot better with short hair.

Test it out ,but for me , if not anything else , I'm simply in fvcking love with the comfort level of short hair. I feel free.
I feel torn. Girls are going crazy over me with my long hair. But when I have short hair. No interest. Though I see myself as fkin ulgy with long hair.

Feels pretty much bad, especially if your gf is against you cutting your own hair.

Zion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fvck what your girlfriend says.

Go to a hair stylist. Someone who people you know recommend. Ask him / her for an opinion. They usually know what they're talking about.

A short haircut has to fit your face. Some are exponentially better than others.

Fcvk what your girlfriend says. Oh , wait , I already said that. Ok , in that case , fvck what everyone says.

I kept my hair long for almost 2 extra years because people were telling me it's a horrible idea to cut. Just do whatever the hell you feel like doing.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess long hair works better if it comes of dating and getting chicks except few exceptions but at the same time they can also give you point on business.

There was a study somewhere which shown how people with longer hair had a higher income with people with shorter hair but let me clarify with two examples.

this is what they meant by long:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RTxDypuuzLk/T9U0HSsDz8I/AAAAAAAADEA/V6ptanfdI8Q/s1600/Batemanas.jpg

by short:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgDh8II8hY8b3cds2znHCo-8qjqrtQVwrz_DMI0ibXk0PoXuit

However it must be noted that some guy refer to be taken more seriously after completely shave their heads and even get more attention from women, but again it all depends on your facial shape and I say skin color.

If it was me I would have my hair like this...
http://www.hairstyleagain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Men-short-hairstyle-tips.jpg
Except that mother nature wanted me to look more like Bruce Willis in Hudson hawk...

Kevin Matthew

Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently got my haircut after letting it grow for almost 3 months...i immediately regret.

The looks i used to get when I had that hair, and the desire for women to put their hands in it was insane. Plus it can show a lot of sexuality if you learn to run your hands through your hair the right way. I'm letting mine grow for a long time. Most importantly, remember this saying:
"Long hair, don't care". Not caring is one of the most important attributes of a DJ. ;)

ScottMustaine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zion said:
Fvck what your girlfriend says.

Go to a hair stylist. Someone who people you know recommend. Ask him / her for an opinion. They usually know what they're talking about.

A short haircut has to fit your face. Some are exponentially better than others.

Fcvk what your girlfriend says. Oh , wait , I already said that. Ok , in that case , fvck what everyone says.

I kept my hair long for almost 2 extra years because people were telling me it's a horrible idea to cut. Just do whatever the hell you feel like doing.
Cutting it would mean I can no longer headbang when I play guitar on gigs.

Watching my blonde hair waving up and down is a sight to see. Girls seem to dig it.

Except me. Pain in the ass to care about. It's just a matter of time when I will say fck it and do it instantly. That's how I work.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Long hair if you want to attract fudge packers and/or hippie, feminist chicks. Short hair if you want to attract more feminine women.