Lifespan of a modern relationship

Foe

Don Juan
Reaction score
So little history, dated a crazy 10 for 3 years which almost broke me. Got out of it and found a really nice 7 which I've been seeing exclusively for 7 months. Ive naturally had frame and been pumping the breaks on any escalation of relationship terms other then exclusivity which I dont really see as a loss given the dating scene is just a pain in the ass.

This girl is poor, no career, no income and no ambition. Shes made it pretty clear shes looking for a guy to fund her life which to her credit is pretty minimum. That being said shes wanting to move in and integrate fully at some point, shes been quite clear on this. I basically got drunk and put her firmly in her place with statements like Im not your sugar daddy and not interested in moving in together and sharing (my) finances.

She's rocked, pulling away and to be honest I might have to let this fish go. Not overly fussed but its strange to think that this might just be the timeline on a modern relationship, unless of coarse you are willing to risk your assets with someone.

Im not, as I explained to her, if she wants to sit at the table she has to buy in with at least some % of my capital.

Am I wrong here?

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This case has more to do with "not the right girl for you" than it does "lifespan of a modern relationship".

Lack of ambition in someone will always be an issue. It creeps into so many areas of life(attitude, looks, weight, self-care, how they treat others). You don't want someone like that. They become a huge liability, where you aren't getting much in return. Thats my definition of a poor investment.

There are some women that aren't financially ambitious but they will be big supporters of you. I'd call them ambitious about their man. IF she is that, then thats a good thing. I don't get that vibe tho. She needs to have ambition towards something in life.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Am I wrong here?
You weren't wrong to end things with her.

This case has more to do with "not the right girl for you" than it does "lifespan of a modern relationship".
I agree with this.

I believe relationships have a shelf life of goodness regardless of how long they last. It's the idea that I am most well known for promoting on this forum. This situation is a bit unrelated to that.

its strange to think that this might just be the timeline on a modern relationship, unless of coarse you are willing to risk your assets with someone.
You have an idea here that has merit.

Many women won't want to continue in a relationship unless it is going somewhere. There are women who will exit a relationship at a certain point if you don't offer to live with her, if you don't propose marriage to her, or if she discovers that you're not interested in having babies with her (or at all).

Many women are seeking to achieve certain milestones in their longer term relationships.

Few women will stay in a relationship more than a few years without at least living together. Most women won't be content to keep living apart from you and keep dating for the foreseeable future, especially when they are under age 40.

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any issue you have will become bigger and bigger once you live together. That's why a lotta men ( including yours truly) made the FATAL mistake of not vetting probably, or I'd say; vetting with the D1ck instead of the brains (and the freaking WALLET!)

You don't wanna share your finances and that rocked her? Now ,I know that women won't ever be rational and say" I get that ,lets find a solution that the both of us can agree with ". Won't just magically happen.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I dunno when they’re hot and I mean they really turn your crank too, and easygoing it can last a long time even if there is no chance you’ll settle with her. I got shyte to do, ya know?

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Foe,
"Am I wrong here?"No way,this Lady sounds purely Plate material.....You are 44,coming into an age where you have your own place,know how to fry an egg,open a can of beans,maybe even on first name terms with the vacuum cleaner.... Why do you want a Woman coming in and disturbing your peaceful life?

Last edited:

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi SW15,
"Few women will stay in a relationship more than a few years without at least living together. Most women won't be content to keep living apart from you and keep dating for the foreseeable future, especially when they are under age 40."......You have chosen your words carefully,to that extent I agree with you,but there are Women around who for various reasons will be quite happy with an LTR that drifts for years,when you get to 40 that number expands exponentially....I have had one simmering for 18 years....take a squizz at Woody Allan he is "Married,living apart"seems happy enough!

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Why would you even want that?

Sounds like a woman that gives nothing but takes everything.

Do better OP.

Start having higher standards than just a pretty face for women you interact with and date. They should bring as much or more to the table as you do.

Trying to press the easy button never works out well in the long run.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Few women will stay in a relationship more than a few years without at least living together.
The happy few.

Most women won't be content to keep living apart from you and keep dating for the foreseeable future, especially when they are under age 40.
I do overnighters, but none of my lovers lives with me. The oldest of them is 38, she's been 'with me' for three years. The one who has been with me the longest (six years now) was twenty-four when we met. No committed relationship and they can leave whenever they want. But I guess that's a rarity where you're from.