Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Learn how to fix things

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me start... I am no contractor. I bought my house in 2010 and was completely clueless about general home maintenance, landscaping, and repairs. A massive source of stress for me was always worrying about things breaking or leaking and having to pay someone to fix it.

so over the years I made an effort to learn how to repair pretty much everything in my home. I will not tackle electrical work. Last week at work one of the new hires 22 years old was talking about how stressed he was because the “faucet” behind his washing machine kept dripping. He said he called multiple plumbers but they were booked for weeks. I tried to walk him thru what was probably wrong with his shut off valve. He had no clue.... he asked if I could fix it... I went to his apartment and literally tightened a packing nut and it stopped ! It was 3 minutes of work. He wanted to give me 100 dollars I declined and he bought me a bottle of expensive bourbon. He has now asked me to help his friends out with home /apartment problems they have.

I am not looking for a side hustle but it appears we have an entire generation that has no interest in learning any hone maintenance skills. I would venture to bet someone with an average understanding of home repair could make pretty decent money doing this.

Billtx49

Reaction score
The problem with any homeowner self repair, maintenance, or minor construction efforts is resolve plus commitment. Both are obviously required to gain the knowledge, and doing the physical work.

The above takes effort, easier to pay someone else to fix your problems rather than improving your personal knowledge base. Not as many jack of all trades that are willing to learn any skills around anymore…

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The above takes effort, easier to pay someone else to fix your problems rather than improving your personal knowledge base. Not as many jack of all trades that were willing to learn any skills around anymore…
exactly ! Growing up I would make a few hundred bucks on a snow day shoveling until I couldn’t move anymore. Doing physical work where you can actually see the results is one of the lost satisfying things in life. I see no kids wandering around my neighborhood looking to make money cutting grass or shoveling snow.

Billtx49

Reaction score
exactly ! Growing up I would make a few hundred bucks on a snow day shoveling until I couldn’t move anymore. Doing physical work where you can actually see the results is one of the lost satisfying things in life. I see no kids wandering around my neighborhood looking to make money cutting grass or shoveling snow.
Yep, history has proven that men traditionally build things and make other things work. If today’s men have no interest in that, I don’t know what we’ve got now…
Paid labor today, not saying all, but a good number have less pride in the finished product nor the desire to make a repair as perfect as possible like an owner should, home, land, car…
I believe most think a work ethic only applies if they’re getting paid…

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I have no interest in any of that either and I am in my mid 40s. I will gladly pay someone to take care of that crap.

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I went to his apartment and literally tightened a packing nut and it stopped ! It was 3 minutes of work. He wanted to give me 100 dollars I declined and he bought me a bottle of expensive bourbon. He has now asked me to help his friends out with home /apartment problems they have.
Careful! The saying "No good deed goes unpunished " is massively true. I could give you a funny scenario that can go on & on and fill a page. Also good on you for helping out.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Self reliance is an Alpha trait, as is the ability to pay someone else to do tasks on your behalf. Making that decision is a leadership skill.

There is nothing wrong with hiring out projects if it will get them done faster/better/cheaper than you can do it. but basic plumbing, carpentry, landscaping are life skills. Search "Shop Classes for adults". Today with You tube, you can learn just about any skill imaginable...

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wish I could do a YouTube series for the guys here because ł consider the use of tools and the ability to build and repair to be vitally important to healthy manhood. But alas, the need for anonymity prevents this.
There’s nothin like the feeling of accomplishment when you build, repair or restore something.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are a limited number of skills people can learn in a lifetime. I for one prefer to delegate things to others and keep the scope of my expertise narrow to things that I find interesting/important.

Personally I hate DIY stuff anyway, especially related to home maintenance.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those who don't have a lot of money. It becomes a necessity to learn how to do things. For example I replaced a $10 part on my vehicle myself. Had I gone to a mechanic, it would have cost me $450.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those who don't have a lot of money. It becomes a necessity to learn how to do things. For example I replaced a $10 part on my vehicle myself. Had I gone to a mechanic, it would have cost me $450.
my brother lives 14 hours away.... and paid a plumber 250 dollars to change a flapper in his toilet. I have plenty of money but hearing that almost made me throw up.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my brother lives 14 hours away.... and paid a plumber 250 dollars to change a flapper in his toilet. I have plenty of money but hearing that almost made me throw up.
You should have said, "hey bro, since you're throwing money around, how about sending ole' machine10033 a lil something something."

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just replaced my wife’s radiator for the cost of the part… $120.
Cost to have the shop do it: $1200.
It’s great to be handy with tools. I greatly enjoy working with my hands.

Billtx49

Reaction score
I just replaced my wife’s radiator for the cost of the part… $120.
Cost to have the shop do it: $1200.
It’s great to be handy with tools. I greatly enjoy working with my hands.
Congratulations guy, I bet a good feeling of a well done job came with that one…

I haven’t done a radiator in years, but my last adventure a few months ago was my dishwasher. Did you know that a 20% blocked water inlet valve/filter will create uncleaned dishes and non dispensed soap pods. Located right behind base cover plate, 4 simple tools, 30 minutes, and best of all a $27 part.