Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Karate/Ju Jitsu/etc... Which one?!

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HI, im thinking of joining some form of self defence classes.

I wanna build up arm muscles mainly, and be able to defend myself whenever i need to.

Im not a big guy.

Which one is good for me?

Thanks

AFC-Murdaz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
build big arm muscle=no such thing, it's a whole package, you must build yuour entire body without thinking only big arm tiny chest and legs

so muscle=weight lifting

as for course to take to defend yoruself

boxing, krav maga (traditional), and bjj

all you need

Jin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
depends on what your body-type is..

if your short, jujutsu is the way to go because the ground can be an equalizer in terms of going up someone bigger, and because of leverage.

if your taller, usually striking arts are better, the farther away your opponent is, the better..

but no matter if your short/tall, you want something well, rounded and reality-based... something that teaches you striking skills and grappling..as well as dealing with real-world scenerios.. fighting with/against hand-held weapons, ect...

usually karate is not an effective self-defense system, as it has been watered down way to much, is not practical for street survival

krav maga ws stated above and I second that, its what the Isralie(sp?)
army teaches to its special forces... based on real-world applications and techniques... how to use everyday objects as weapons...pencils, keys, umbrellas...ect.. the only hard part is finding a good qualified instructor

I would also recommend Muay Thai as a self-defense art, while bred for the ring now, it is still a very dangerous system that teaches how to inflict massige damage on an opponent in a very small amount of time... most places that teach this also teach jujutsu with it...

just run a search on the net for whats around you... and be sure to include the words "real world self defense' in your search or you'll get all these tae kwon do and karate dojos that only teach kids and crap that will get you killed in a real confrontation.

Best,

Jin

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd suggest BJJ fr the floor, for sure. And as foor standing up MT.

Dioxippus

Reaction score
See if you can find a freestyle or Greco-Roman wrestling club in your area. Definitely look into boxing and Muay Thai.

FitnessGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would say boxing. They will have you do "some" weight training but not alot, and you will learn to throw an effective punch and defend yourself. Goodluck.

Dioxippus

Reaction score
Vale tudo is not a grappling art. It is Portuguese for "fight with no rules". It's the same thing as an NHB fight, although in Brazil (where vale tudo originated) the most common style was and is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in these fights.

Dioxippus

Reaction score
Originally posted by GigaloDJ
A vale tudo fight usually ends up on the ground. ;)
Most fights in NHB/MMA/Vale tudo do. Doesn't mean it's a grappling art (rather, it is a mix of arts - hence MMA).

And how many cages have you fought in?

Jin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lol... I love those jujutsu schools who use the argument.."90% of all fights end up on the ground..."

yeah but what people fail to realize is... 90% of those people who do get into a fight.. do not know how to fight standing up in the first place.

look at someone like Mark "Cro Cop" Filopivic who, in the last Pride tournament, knocked out his grappler opponent in 46 seconds of the first round with a swift left kick to the jaw. and even before that he's been cutting down every grappler or even striker to come against him.

but thats not to say you don't need grappling skills... you need it all to be a complete fighter... ready for whateve the opponent hands ou and to adapt.

Best,

Jin

Jin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dam!.. I knew I spelled it wrong.. thanx for the correction and yes he has been defeated. As every warrior should know... you learn more from a defeat than a victory.

Best,

Jin

Dioxippus

Reaction score
Mirko was defeated in November, yes, and by a grappler no less - perhaps the finest groundfighter in heavyweight history: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Armbar in the 2nd. Cro Cop is amateurish at best on the ground.

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Everybody looses in MMA a few times. Even the Gracies and Shamrocks.

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFC-Murdaz

boxing, krav maga (traditional), and bjj

all you need
i would also like to add, muay thai.

thebob

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are there any online sort of guides or tutorials for these forms of fighting? I know this might sound a little ridiculous because obviously it would be nothing compared to an actual instructor, but still...Does anyone know?

Krassus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In NHB / Vale Tude fights, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was proved to be the most powerful style countless times. I'm starting in 2 months or so.