Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Karate/Ju Jitsu/etc... Which one?!

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ultrashogun
The best style is the one that works best for you, dont just go where all the hype is.
exactly! There are so many parrots on the internet saying "MT and BJJ are the best" , but I've seen alot of karate guys beat MT guys in full contact and vice versa....it's all about finding what works for you.

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Am I the only person in the entire freaking world who believes bjj to be overrated? Okay, in PrideFC it's the sh1t, there's no doubt about that, but what about the street? Let's analyze.

First off, when you're talking about fighting on padded canvas, ground fights are completely different than on the street. Pulling guard on the street is suicide unless you're Minotauro Noguiera (even so, someone like Tom Erikson would pound the living hell out of you). Getting your face grounded into padded canvas doesn't hurt quite so bad, but concrete? Draw your own conclusions.

Bjjer's get taken down a lot. In fact, for some fighter's it's easy. But in PrideFC it's not a big deal because you can work from your back and recieve no damage.

You people have to understand that MMA isn't the exact same as street fighting. BJJ may be superior to some of the more popular mainstream martial arts, but in terms of pure grappling, you'd be better off with something like Greco-roman wrestling, trust me.

I would say that a synthesis of Greco-roman wrestlign and Judo would be the ultimate street grappling combo. As for striking, Muay Thai is the way to go. Striking in it's purest form plus it adds far more to ground and pound than boxing or karate or something like that. Train hard in boxing for stand up too though.

Tareef

Don Juan
Reaction score
A good striking art
A good grappling art

That's what's needed to be a well rounded fighter.

Any martial art can be used in combat, knowing how to use it in combat is another story.

Essentially fighting is fighting, any martial art has roots in warfare, learning how to generate fast effective techniques is not the only way to go about it. Bruce Lee himself said he has met two fighters who were faster than him, he got around it by timing which can be over looked by many martial artists today.

To be truley effective speed, timing, and coordination must become seemless. You must perfect your given technique(s) to flow so naturally that it is like running your fingers through your hair.

A technique practiced 1000 times is better then 1000 techniques tasted.

There are other sides to martial arts as well. There is the philosophical, and spiritual aspects as well, but that's another topic.

Summary, Grapple good, strike hard and fast.

Walden

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One good solution would be to go to a site that has the military hand to hand combat manuals FM 21-150.

I had to teach a course in it and was basically just given the book and told to learn it. It's really easy to learn and use.