Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Just bought my first house looking for tips.

andy87

Don Juan
Reaction score
Afternoon folks as the title suggests I have just purchased my first batchelor pad, I'm 31 years old was hoping to buy a bit sooner but had to save up a big deposit as the lenders are a lot stricter with giving out mortgages than they were a few years back, well here in the UK they are. Just basically looking for hints and tips on maintaining and running a home by yourself as it just me who is moving in I have a girlfriend but she is not moving in with me but I know she will try and work her way in thanks Andy

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cook and clean regularly, get a girl to help decorate and make it more homely.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Get to know how to fix things yourself to save money.

Look into weather stripping for the doors and windows.

Change all bulbs and lights in the house to LED in order to save money.

Clean filters ever 3 months and get MERV 13 rated filters at that.

Add water a detector around water heater to alert you of any leaks.

Try to make your home energy efficient by replacing appliances over 10 years old.

Spray Suspend SC (https://www.domyown.com/suspend-sc-p-40.html) to help prevent pests from entering your home.

Do NOT allow a lady to help you redecorate if you plan on living together. She will then have rightful ownership of the increased value of the home.

Get a home energy audit and see what your local utilities will offer in terms of rebates and incentives for caulking, insulation, low water toilets, etc.

Get a Nest Thermostat. It's literally saved me over 200 bucks a month in energy bill since purchasing and installing. If you are semi-handy, you can install in yourself. If not, it can cost money to install. I installed mine myself.

Get good insurance coverage to cover the what if scenarios in life.

Price out your utilties through an alternative producer (now legal in the US due to deregulation).

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Afternoon folks as the title suggests I have just purchased my first batchelor pad, I'm 31 years old was hoping to buy a bit sooner but had to save up a big deposit as the lenders are a lot stricter with giving out mortgages than they were a few years back, well here in the UK they are. Just basically looking for hints and tips on maintaining and running a home by yourself as it just me who is moving in I have a girlfriend but she is not moving in with me but I know she will try and work her way in thanks Andy
DON'T DO IT!

Your house. Your rules.

No marriage. No cohabitation. No playing house.

NO!

Say it with me... No!

You did it yourself. Until laws change, no cohabitation. No marrying. No staying the night.

If you cave, you bring it on yourself and have yourself to blame when ****ed over.

Your friend is youtube. Any trade friends, cash money and a case of beer will suffice. Do what you can yourself. Landscape, painting, etc.

Create a routine. Live and learn.

31 is fine. I got mine at 25. The plan is 2nd property by 35. I want to landlord before 40 but, cawk sucker government hit you with capital gains, tax 50% off the top. You can only have 1 live in place of residence. Still, 50% of nothing is nothing.

You will learn op. YouTube is a good resource. Simply putting on a door was difficult at 25 new home owner. You will learn. Enjoy.

Finally, COMPARTMENTALISE expenses for maintenance and upkeep. As in, one year, fo the roof, finish the basement, install a Walk in glass shower, driveway, etc. Pick based on the current necessity. Small chunk it.

As for LTR, she's gonna try to move in, piece by piece, leaving her crap, staying a night. Stealing a dresser space, etc. Nip iy in the bud.

NO!

As a bachelor, home owner, women enter in my place feminine, fit, dtf, and submissive plus making sandwiches. Anything toxic not in the mood, LMR and low sex drive means#next!

Its not up for debate op. XYZ. What you do is gospel or gtfo.

Don't **** it up playing house. I installed a hot tub for after parties.

sosousage

Banned
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT!

Your house. Your rules.

NO!

Say it with me... No!

You did it yourself. Until laws change, no cohabitation. No marrying. No staying the night.

If you cave, you bring it on yourself and have yourself to blame when ****ed over.

Your friend is youtube. Any trade friends, cash money and a case of beer will suffice. Do what you can yourself. Landscape, painting, etc.

31 is fine. I got mine at 25. The plan is 2nd property by 35. I want to landlord before 40 but, cawk sucker government hit you with capital gains, tax 50% off the top. You can only have 1 live in place of residence. Still, 50% of nothing is nothing.

You will learn op. YouTube is a good resource. Simply putting on a door was difficult at 25 new home owner. You will learn. Enjoy.

Finally, COMPARTMENTALISE expenses for maintenance and upkeep. As in, one year, fo the roof, finish the basement, install a Walk in glass shower, driveway, etc. Pick based on the current necessity. Small chunk it.

As for LTR, she's gonna try to move in, piece by piece, leaving her crap, staying a night. Stealing a dresser space, etc. Nip iy in the bud.

NO!

As a bachelor, home owner, women enter in my place feminine, fit, dtf, and submissive plus making sandwiches. Anything toxic not in the mood, LMR and low sex drive means#next!

lul am living with parents at 25

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT!

Your house. Your rules.

NO!

Say it with me... No!

NO!

I thought about the landlord thing but to me its more trouble than its worth. End up with a loser tenant and they can really cause serious damage to the house and then it costs you money on top of that to get them out. And no matter how good you screen, you never know how someone will act if they lose their job or have some major expenses that cause them to not be able to pay the rent...

Pus the maintenance costs which you either need to do yourself or find someone else to do.

Not my cup of tea...nothing wrong with it and its a legitimate way to build income but I would rather keep dumping my money in my 401K, IRA and REITs...

Designer Man

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi mate

How much deposit did you save? How did you find saving over a period of time? How much was your first home?

andy87

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi mate

How much deposit did you save? How did you find saving over a period of time? How much was your first home?
I saved up a 15% deposit, the property was £140,000 I saved up more than half my wages a month for a few years it was tough but I was disciplined.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saving £21k in a couple years is light work

The issue in my area (London) is a 2 bed apartment costs half a mil and £140,000 hasn’t bought you anything here for 20 years.

First time buyers here can get a mortgage on 5% which has help many get on the property ladder. Saving £1000 a month if you can should be a goal.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A man needs tools. Learn to recognize quality, as it is becoming harder and harder to find. I'm not sure about UK availability, but here in the US, Dewalt and Milwaukee make the best stuff, especially anything cordless. Ridgid from Home Depot is #3, I'd say. You don't own a real hammer until you own an Estwing. The old Craftsman hand tools are some of the best ever made, but Sears sold off the brand to Stanley and now they are junk like everything else. But junk isn't always bad if it is cheap and does the job. Corded power tools are one place you can often skimp. I have several $20 US saws and sanders that get the job done. Never buy cheap cordless anything, though.

And when you own anything with an engine, don't leave gas sit in it for months at a time when not in use. Depending on what's in your gas, it can rot out the fuel system. Some older tools are actually higher quality than new stuff, because they were made before modern environmental pollution laws, and the fuel systems are much more forgiving. If you own anything 2 cycle, I just buy canned, pre-mixed fuel, so I don't have to run ethanol from pump gas through the engine.