Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Jogging: Which is better? Gravel or Pavement?

FM 3321

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been running for a month now and during that time I had some knee problems. I was advised to get some good running shoes versus the el cheapo ones I bought in the first place and it really helped my knees out. Also I've started taking a glucosamine supplment pack to go along with that. I generally run 3.6 miles 4 times a week in the morning and one route I run is on hard pavement and the other is a gravel road.

The answer to this question might be obvious but is it my imagination or is gravel much better for your knees than hard pavement even with the right shoes? The only problem with gravel is that you have a better chance of losing your footing and hurting your ankle but for my knees the gravel trail seems so much better.

Looking online I haven't been able to find much information on this so if anyone knows much about this I'd love to know. Thanks.

immrtlwun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gravel has a lot more give to it as far as your foot landing goes. The pavement can't go anywhere when your foot lands on it, but the gravel can. Grass or clay is even better to run on. I ran cross country from 4th grade through high school and the best feeling, as far as running goes, was running barefoot on a clay/mud mix. Try it sometime. Find a park or something soon after it rains and run on a muddy trail.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Neither, distance running is bad for you.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You pretty much answered your own question!

If you're doing it for fat loss though it's not the best.

FM 3321

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well it looks like gravel is indeed better. I'll start running on that route exclusively.

Adam B

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Neither, distance running is bad for you.
Do not listen to this person.

It really doesn't matter which surface you choose, because the human body is very intelligent and actually lightens the landing all by itself on harder surfaces. The impace forces will be roughly the same no matter what surface you choose, contrary to popular belief.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adam B said:
It really doesn't matter which surface you choose, because the human body is very intelligent and actually lightens the landing all by itself on harder surfaces. The impace forces will be roughly the same no matter what surface you choose, contrary to popular belief.
the human body cannot suspend the laws of physics.

the OP nailed it, softer surfaces are better for wear and tear on your knees, while on looser surfaces you may lose your footing and really bust something up. Ideally you want to run on a soft, stable surface. and definitely get some good shoes.

FM 3321

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Adam B said:
Do not listen to this person.

Are you sure about the surface? If I ran on top of a mile long mattress versus a stretch of a concrete freeway I would think that the impact would be much less on the mattress.

As for the long distance running, I actually enjoy it when I'm out there and a good run makes me feel better throughout the day and actually motivates me to eat healthier. I woke up late and didn't run this morning and I'm craving all kinds of bad breakfast food. I'll be running tomorrow morning for sure.

Throttle said:

the OP nailed it, softer surfaces are better for wear and tear on your knees, while on looser surfaces you may lose your footing and really bust something up. Ideally you want to run on a soft, stable surface. and definitely get some good shoes.

Yeah the gravel like I said does feel better on the knees. I just have to be alert to the constantly changing surface. Anyway I need to focus on eating less calories because I'm really fvcking up on that during the weekends.

Adam B

Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:

The body craves stability. If you're on an unstable surface, like a rough trail, your body will land a little harder so it can stabilize itself better. If the surface is already stable, the foot will actually roll differently and lighter. I know you guys might think this all crap, but it's true. Obviously a matress would be different though, but you're more likely to get injured on a mile long mattress than a stretch of asphalt.

Also, very few running injuries are caused by "landing shock", most are caused by tightness, or weakness in a certain structure or muscle fiber.