Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Jobs of the Future

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im currently a freshman in college and tryig to figure out a career path.
I was told Being a Nurse would be good because they get good pay(60-100 grand) and flexible hours.
But my dad(whose a doctor), told me they only get 40grand....wtf?
Does anyone know how much Nurses get payed? The type i was told about was Registered Nurse (RN).

The main point of my job is so i can have a good surfing life(my passion).
The job would have to be on the coast(preferably california). Have good pay(so i can take trips), and some flexible time(so i can have time to take those trips).

My dad was suggesting being a pharmacist.

So basically i would like some opinions and answers on anything and everything ive written and asked about in this post.
thx.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
go into hotel administration. they get paid bank. general managers get paid 100k a year...110 if you live in their hotel (its free) and lower managers like sales, marketing,etc get paid 40-60k a year. move to vegas and go to University Of Nevada Las Vegas and get a degree from them. thats what i might do. out of state tuition is killer though.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
engineering combined with a commerce degree will land you a sweet job.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do something that YOU wanna do.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He said he wants to live a surfers life, so living in Nevada is out, and having a morning job won't work well either unless he just wants to surf on the weekends. Engeneering, if you want to get into software development at least, is VERY time consuming in fact.

There are pharmicists who work in places open 24 hours, so there should be demand to work there in the evening, leaving the morning free to surf. Same goes for nurse, but I'm sure that doesn't pay as well, plus you're stuck with the stigma of being a male nurse.

I'd go with real estate investing or maybe agent/broker (not too sure about agent/broker) or entrepeneur/self employed. That way you don't have to worry about your boss telling you when you can have time off and you can just make yourown hours. Why not open a surf shop? If you're dad is a doctor I'm sure you can get some starting capital from him.

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mum is a nurse, she gets around £20 000 a year, which i calculate at around.......$40 000?

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thx for the advice shiftkey
man **** being a nurse then. i thought they got good pay. the registered nurses.

i really dont know what to be now
only one i ha ve on my list so far is:
pharmacist

Like i said its gotta be good for surfing.. so that should atleast eliminate a lot of locations, if not weed out some jobs. arkansas(where im going to college this year) is definately out of the question ;)

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ken785
go into hotel administration. they get paid bank. general managers get paid 100k a year...110 if you live in their hotel (its free) and lower managers like sales, marketing,etc get paid 40-60k a year. move to vegas and go to University Of Nevada Las Vegas and get a degree from them. thats what i might do. out of state tuition is killer though.

You sure about that...I work for the Sheraton (not top of the notch, but pretty nice...Restaurant/Bar and all)......and they are quite cheap.

NRM

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I suggest you go with pharmacy if you're into it. It is just a VERY kick back job. If you plan on going all the way with it, you will really get rewards out of it.

My cousin gave me some numbers a while back. He knows a doctor who owns his own practice and makes about 300k a year. His girlfriend, who is going into pharmacy made plans to open her own clinic once everything else is out of the way, and the estimated income of that is about 250k a year. Granted, a 50k differences IS A LOT, BUT being a doctor can be a high stress job, whereas a pharmacist is pretty kick back, with really good pay.

It really depends. If you're really into becoming a doctor or something like that, you should go for it. But if you're in it for the money and the ease of work, go into pharmacy if you can handle the schooling.

There is a big need for people in the medical field nowadays, so if you're in it, you can pretty much live where you want and pick your hours. Many companies recruit graduates and offer many money bonuses and vacation bonuses to compete with other companies, which I've heard for specifically for pharmacy (probably true in other medical fields, but I just don't know for certain).

If you're into the medical field and you need the flexibility and money, go for pharmacy.

Snatchmaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Pharmacy - Starting pay about $70k.

Where the jobs are: Walgreens, CVS, hospitals, a few independents.

Future of Pharmacy: Working for Walgreens, CVS or Walmart.

Indy parmacies are being squeezed out. You make your money on scripts, otc meds, and various sundries. the Wal's have you beat on all merch. costs because they buy in bulk. Differentiation is the only way for indy's to stay in the game - something like home delivery. But even then, you'l be squeezed by insurance payments and by waiting for medicare to pay.

Working for Walmart means working when they need you. 12 hour days, always on call. Lots of hassle for 70K.

RN: Standard sked is 3 days per week, 12 hours per day (7-7). Pay and benes for RN's is cyclical. For the past five years, it has been trending upwards because there is a shortage of RNs.

Why is there a shortage of RNs? Because when hospital administrators are being squeezed by insurance companies (including gov ins.) about rising health care costs, those admin people reduce benefits and staff on duty, making nurses care for more patients with less ancilliary staff. Nurses burn out and drop out.

The best paid nurses are travellers. Typically they are contracted for a month or two at a time by hospitals that are in desperation for RNs. In Chicago, three years ago, travellers were being paid $60/hr.

Now, I once knew a guy who worked as a respiratory tech. I think he made about 45k/year, but he only worked nine months of the year and took summers off.

Consider this, both pharm and RN require 4 year degree. Both require chem and bios. If your smart enough to do either one of those, you might as well do med school.

Compare the lifetime earnings:
Pharm: 100k for 40 years, punching a timeclock: $4mil
RN: $60k for 40 years: $2.4 mil.
MD: $200k for 40 years, half days on wed., self-employed, no appts before noon so you can surf if you want: $8mil

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mahon83050
You sure about that...I work for the Sheraton (not top of the notch, but pretty nice...Restaurant/Bar and all)......and they are quite cheap.
are you in administation? im talking high class like MGM grand, Mandalay Bay, St. Francis hotel in san francisco. not some cheap skate place like the sharaton.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
for RN do u have to go to 4 years of college, then 4 more for ur bachelors?
like if i come straight out of high school, what do i have to do?

also, what do u think about Physicians Assistent? they get pretty good pay from what ive researched.
But its hard to find hardly any info on them.
How much schooling do u need for that?

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want bank right away go into EE (electrical engineering). They, on average, make 60k a year to boot, and they get like 6 figures quick. Plus you can find jobs ANYWHERE.

Any engineering will get you money fast.

But do something you want to do, not just something to make you money...

Nurses can make money over a long period of time, my friends mom makes over 100k per year.

Not sure about pharmacy though...

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost
what are the hours(once u have the job) and schooling like for EE?
Depends what you do with it. If you want to travel a lot, you could try and get a job at a phone company.

My cousin works for moterolla(sp?) and he travels to other countries quite often. Plus, he gets good vacation time.

He works 9-5, but the whole 9-5 thing is kinda going out the door, its now like 10-6 etc etc.

EE is not easy to learn, if your interested in it, you'll enjoy it. But if your just doing it for the money, i wouldn't recomend it.

You also need to realize your going to have to grow up eventually. Even though you love surfing, you have to find a way to manage a career before you get into stuff like that heavily.

Snatchmaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost
for RN do u have to go to 4 years of college, then 4 more for ur bachelors?
like if i come straight out of high school, what do i have to do?

also, what do u think about Physicians Assistent? they get pretty good pay from what ive researched.
But its hard to find hardly any info on them.
How much schooling do u need for that?
RN: Once you have graduated high school (US) you would attend a four year university which will confer you with a bachelor's degree in nursing.

I would steer away from the Physician's Asst. Training consists of 6 mos - 2 years at a trade school. I think PA work consists mainly in working in a doctors ofc. What do you consider good pay? I think starting pay for PA's runs $8-10/hr. (depending where you are located). If you stay with the same doc or clinic for a long time, you can prob. get your pay to mid $40's.

If you don't want to go to uni., you should look into trade schools, where you can get some skills. Like I said, most programs in these schools are 6-24 months.

Tuition in these schools tend to start around $4k and top out around $10k for a two year associates that may not be recognized by a 4 year university if you later decided to continue your ed.

Unfortunately, a good number of the schools offer programs that get you into low paying jobs like Dental Asst. or Nurses Asst. or PA. Also, there are some programs you should avoid like the plague: Radio Announcing, Modeling....

Some of the better programs offered through trade schools include paralegal training, court reporting, computer repair, computer programming.

Another place to get training is to enter an apprentice program with a Trade Union. Carpenters, Painters and Electrical Workers are just three of the unions that have training programs. Electrical work can be very stable and provide you with a decent wage. Look in the phone book under trade or labor unions.

Also, check with your local law enforcement for potential jobs. Being a cop can provide you with a car and opportunities for advancement.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
30-40k = bad
100k=good
so 70k isnt too bad(which is the salary i found for physicians assistent, but u just said they dont get much???????

so what job is gonna get me some decent-good pay, flexible hours, and isnt incredibly hard to get into?

i listed nurse and physicians assistent cuz i was told those are pretty easy to get into and good pay.

i was told pharmacist is hard t oget into

so i can go to any university and get a bachelors degree? like once i finish college ill basically automatically have one?
i can still transfer and get it right?

CapiCrimini

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
GO into what you enjoy.

It will be easier working at a job you enjoy for less pay then working at a job you hate for more pay.

As for RN it's four years of college, at least it was unless they changed it.

Once your a RN your a RN for life.

I'd say pharmcutical career would pay the most beggingin out.

BUT. It's not that intresting and times can change and that career can go from rich to poor, especially with all the light the drug companies are getting these days.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PA sounds like the best paying/easiest job to get into
am i correct?

i dont really see a job id "like" ? i mean i aint gonna get paid squat for like a surf shop or something.

anyways a bachelors degree(only 4 years DURING COLLEGE..which i was already gonna do anyways) doesnt seem too hard.

SNATCHMASTER: you said "I think starting pay for PA's runs $8-10/hr" ... thats like only 20k a year...wtf? that cant possibly be right.

oh btw glutuxmaximus: thx for that site!