Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Job is too stressful but I'm ambitious

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So i've been at my job for about 3 months and am apparently the poster boy for all the new hires in my role. I'm in FX sales. since my role is new within the company, they decided to modle all the performance figures for everyone in the role after my performance figures. I've also been the only one to bring in new business and i brought in new business after 1.5 months. This all sounds great and my name is touted all over conference calls but i'm exhausted.

My job requires me to make 60-100 calls a day. Calls directly reflect performance since if i don't call enough companies, i won't have enough qualified prospects in my pipeline to close and turn into clients. I work hard and have always done so. The thing is i'm an introvert who can be an extrovert if need be. I'm not in sales because i'm good at it (i suck at schmoozing). I'm in sales because i work hard and can keep up high levels of energy for short periods of time. My old job was pretty stressfree being an account manager as they were all warm calls. For some reason, cold calls drain me.

I get home everyday to my gf and am exhausted. Most of the time i pass out right after dinner. The senior guys here make great money. 150-200 but many of them have white hair and they're not even 40 yet. I took this job to develop sales skills and i think i'm doing well but i took a 30k paycut for this job. I have potential interviews for account management positions that will pay me 90k, and now i'm debating what to do. Career wise, sales > account management so i think i'm making the right move developing these skills. Especially since this is one of the hardest sales industries to make it in. So many people get cut while i'm thriving.

Any older gents have an opinion on this? Apologies if things are a bit incoherent, i'm writing this on limited time.

I used to work 60 hour weeks and be fine (I would drink hard/party and work out as well). I'm now working 45 hour weeks and rarely ever go much over 45 hours but i'm exhausted (I still work out a bit, but alot less).

AAA

Last edited:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone says they want to start a business / be an entrepreneur until they actually do it.

You're either cut out for it or you not. There's no shame in not wanting to work 60 hour weeks 6 days a week. It's not for everyone.

Are you really ambitious, or do you just want ****? There's a difference. IF you just want ****, there's ways to get **** without killing yourself at work. But if you are truly ambitious and your goal is to own your own company one day, this isn't even up for debate. It's just something you learn to live /work around.

My days usually start at about 8am, and sometimes end about 1-2am. I don't even think about it anymore that's just my life. I'll probably die early, I'd honestly be shocked if i made it to 70.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stick with it. Sales is the only arena where you can write your own paycheck. No employer wants to pay $1 mil/ year salary unless you make them 10x.

Sales is also great training to mold you into a self-employed entrepreneur, maybe in the same industry.

I have been working 12-16-hour days for the past 6 years. I'm an entrepreneur, which means all sales. Keep your testosterone levels high enough, and 45 hours will be a walk in the park. I don't want to create a T discussion, but augment your T levels and you will do just fine.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a lot more to life than busting your a$$ trying to make money.

And some dude is saying self-medicate to cope!!! really???

A successful life is all about balance and finding your happy medium. Glad I learned the errors of my dad's ways in regards to working too much/too high of stress levels. He is retired now and still regrets it.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Howiestern said:
And some dude is saying self-medicate to cope.
Didn't know you need a prescription to weight train, haha.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
Everyone says they want to start a business / be an entrepreneur until they actually do it.

You're either cut out for it or you not. There's no shame in not wanting to work 60 hour weeks 6 days a week. It's not for everyone.

Are you really ambitious, or do you just want ****? There's a difference. IF you just want ****, there's ways to get **** without killing yourself at work. But if you are truly ambitious and your goal is to own your own company one day, this isn't even up for debate. It's just something you learn to live /work around.

My days usually start at about 8am, and sometimes end about 1-2am. I don't even think about it anymore that's just my life. I'll probably die early, I'd honestly be shocked if i made it to 70.

BB, i honestly question how busy you are as you post every single day and have close to 11 thousand posts. When i'm busy, i disappear from anything unnecessary. SS is definitely something that can be cut from my daily routine if i need to optimize. I am however trying to find ways to manage this stress and continue with this job or take another less stressful job. If i'm going to be this stressed, i'd honestly rather be working on my startup but i'm too exhausted to do so.

I do agree with everyone posting here though but although i want to be happy I also want to make money. It's hard to strike a balance between those unless i can work on my own company and make decent money and be doing something i like. Right now i need the capital/skill set to set myself up for success. I have a 60k salary and building my book from scratch. in 2-3 years time i should be in 6 figures and 5 years time i could be hitting 200k. The thing is, i don't plan on staying in this industry, i just plan and learning as much as i can to be successful in sales.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is your purpose here in this life, to be complacent and stagnant--or challenge yourself and maybe experience suffering to grow?

How you answer this question--leaving it as mutually exclusive--will determine your fate.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Stick with it. Sales is the only arena where you can write your own paycheck. No employer wants to pay $1 mil/ year salary unless you make them 10x.

Sales is also great training to mold you into a self-employed entrepreneur, maybe in the same industry.

I have been working 12-16-hour days for the past 6 years. I'm an entrepreneur, which means all sales. Keep your testosterone levels high enough, and 45 hours will be a walk in the park. I don't want to create a T discussion, but augment your T levels and you will do just fine.

this is a big reason why I don't masturbate. If I masturbate more than once a day, or have sex / masturbate consecutive days i feel it at work. Sex more than 3 times a week is pushing it for me.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BB, i honestly question how busy you are as you post every single day and have close to 11 thousand posts. When i'm busy, i disappear from anything unnecessary. SS is definitely something that can be cut from my daily routine if i need to optimize. I am however trying to find ways to manage this stress and continue with this job or take another less stressful job. If i'm going to be this stressed, i'd honestly rather be working on my startup but i'm too exhausted to do so.

on a normal day I do the following

1 talk to 40-50 NEW clients
2. manage the 15-20 clients we have currently
3. manage my programmers/ graphic designers via skype
4. put together 2-3 proposals for clients

on top of that

1. I eat clean/ healthy everyday
2. I go to the gym Monday - Saturday
3. Once a week or so I hit up an NA meeting
4. I find time to practice my piano
5. I take my wife out to eat / entertain her and her friends a few nights a week
6. Have sex lol
7. Play with my son / watch TV with my son
8. What whatever TV shows interest me i.e Game of Thrones, Turn, etc.

on top of that I still find time to

9. Gamble Thursday / Sunday via Horse Racing
10. Bull**** on Sosuave just about daily

instead of poking at me, you should be curious as to how the **** can i do all this and still have energy. I have mastered time management. something you have not. something you will never do becuase you're too close minded and you're too busy picking at people who are trying to offer you advice. That's the difference between you and I. I could offer you insights on how to have energy everyday, how to be able to work and come home and have a kick ass social life, but your'e too close minded to listen. You're not a leader. You're a guy who wants to make money with no skill set.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
this is a big reason why I don't masturbate. If I masturbate more than once a day, or have sex / masturbate consecutive days i feel it at work. Sex more than 3 times a week is pushing it for me.
Hehe. I actually have a routine before meeting a big client:

Four sets each of heavy squats and dead lifts the night before; client is closed 75% of the time.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sales is a rough game as I am learning. I just spent the last 2 hours on the phone drumming up clients and doing my day job. I just took lunch at 3pm and I only have 2 potentials in my pipeline for all of that effort. I'm learning to pretend to be high energy as I'm pretty introverted myself.

I know most people hate him but Grant Cardone gets me pumped baby! If you ain't first, you're last! (He stole that from Ricky Bobby!). I listen to his Grant rants to get pumped up. He such a character. But the thing is, he will tell you that he's a character because his character can sell. I started putting on my Warrior Character. That Warrior guy is amazing with rock solid confidence and the gift of gab. Nothing like boring ole real life Warrior.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
on a normal day I do the following

1 talk to 40-50 NEW clients
2. manage the 15-20 clients we have currently
3. manage my programmers/ graphic designers via skype
4. put together 2-3 proposals for clients

on top of that

1. I eat clean/ healthy everyday
2. I go to the gym Monday - Saturday
3. Once a week or so I hit up an NA meeting
4. I find time to practice my piano
5. I take my wife out to eat / entertain her and her friends a few nights a week
6. Have sex lol
7. Play with my son / watch TV with my son
8. What whatever TV shows interest me i.e Game of Thrones, Turn, etc.

on top of that I still find time to

9. Gamble Thursday / Sunday via Horse Racing
10. Bull**** on Sosuave just about daily

instead of poking at me, you should be curious as to how the **** can i do all this and still have energy. I have mastered time management. something you have not. something you will never do becuase you're too close minded and you're too busy picking at people who are trying to offer you advice. That's the difference between you and I. I could offer you insights on how to have energy everyday, how to be able to work and come home and have a kick ass social life, but your'e too close minded to listen. You're not a leader. You're a guy who wants to make money with no skill set.
BB, i haven't taken any of your posts/advice seriously for over 4 years since i started searching for reviews for your company/services. Judging from your reactions to how people criticize you I believe I'm right not to take advice from you.

http://www.yellowpages.com/nationwide/mip/black-17-media-inc-260649
http://www.bbb.org/arkansas/business-reviews/web-design/black-17-media-in-little-rock-ar-90209549
http://flakelist.org/page/viewpub/tid/1/pid/931
http://www.mineeds.com/black-17-media/Public-Customer-Reviews/

All i did was type in Black 17 media and those are the results it returned. I didn't need to be specific to search for complaints or anything of the sort. Before trying to preach leadership, maybe you should learn to follow and complete tasks first.
---

@guru my goal is to develop sales skills. I've started a few companies in the past making some money here and there, and never losing anything except time. I came to the early conclusion that great business leaders need research skills to find solutions to problems, communications skills to be able to convey these solutions, and sales skills to be able to turn these solutions into a service/profit.

I started off as a analyst (research), moved into account management (public speaking and tons of schmoozing), and now i'm working on sales. My goal is to give myself the right tools to be successful in life and if I ever want to run my own business.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sales is key. Without revenue, you can't operate.

Best investment are cold-callers. I had a team of 15 cold callers for five years, until the business was established. Now i operate exclusively on referrals.

Until you have enough working capital for cold callers, 300-400 cold calls daily to accumulate qualified prospects. Mail information packages to prospects upon qualification. Wait a week, then call to schedule appointment/close.

No magical formula; it's a numbers game.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guru- you suggested adding testosterone to cope with a job. Nothing about weight lifting. But spin it however you want, like a damn chic.

You claim to work 12-16hrs a day and are a big work out junky. so lets say you work 14hrs, sleep 8hrs, eat/shower/**** 2hrs. Thats 24hrs. You either don't work out or don't work as many hours as you say you do. Regardless of that, you make my point perfectly.... you don't do anything else in life.

I did notice you sure post a lot of threads regarding "testosterone". You must be selling it? Does your weiner not work right any more? Too many steroids from previous years???

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Howiestern, this is a thread for entrepreneurs, not pikers. But then again, as you said, your father taught you how to become one, so who can blame you?

Get back to work; and wait for your next paycheck. Haha.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
uhh yes sir Mista T

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Sales is key. Without revenue, you can't operate.

Best investment are cold-callers. I had a team of 15 cold callers for five years, until the business was established. Now i operate exclusively on referrals.

Until you have enough working capital for cold callers, 300-400 cold calls daily to accumulate qualified prospects. Mail information packages to prospects upon qualification. Wait a week, then call to schedule appointment/close.

No magical formula; it's a numbers game.
Hhaha not sure when the last time you were still in the cold call game, but this is exactly what we do. Call a bunch and qualify, send email, sometimes physical mail and try to arrange appointments. I always try to push for an appointment on the first call but most prospects aren't that open and you don't want to burn bridges early in the sales cycle. I really don't know how 300-400 calls a day is possible. I've gone a bit over 120 dials a day with my time on the phone being into 2.5 hours.

I also don't call from 8:30-9:15am and 4:15pm-5:30pm. I do most of my research and put all my stuff into CRM during these times. If you watched wolf of wall street, it's a more toned down version of that but we are on the phone all the time, yelling, joking/cursing in the office, closing big deals/deals in general.

Seems like majority is for sticking with the 60k sales gig and taking the 30k paycut. Sucks that i could easily pick up the phone and get myself an interview in account management.

What frustrates me most is i often lack the energy to work on my startup once i get home. It might be different if i was single, but i also just stumbled onto a girlfriend, who now cooks, cleans, and does everything for me but at the cost of my attention.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know Jordan; I was a broker. If you are in a similar industry, then I will reiterate my advice: Invest into cold-callers.

Try using predictive dialers, if your company allows, to increase calling capacity.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's common knowledge to anyone who has ever lifted a weight that working out spikes testosterone. that's why people tell you "lift weights before you go on a date"

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Too much stress can kill you, been there. Theres lots of time to make money, careful or u will burn out. Best to take everything in moderation and try and balance your life out a bit. A 60 hour work week sounds good in theory but in reality its extremely hard on the body. Right now I do about 14 hours a day for 3 days... and then a few hours on 2 other days, its Wednesday and man I am completely fuvked by the weekend. I would rather not work so much. Bank account is full but suffer from stress induced anger episodes every now and then. Money not worth it.