Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Jim Carrey keeps wasting our time!

jungleman pete

Don Juan
Reaction score
On the weekend I saw on tv a preview for the new Jim Carrey movie.

I was excited for a second until i realised he's doing another art film, trying to prove he's a real actor.

I'm getting sick of it. Here we have one of the greatest comic actors of all time and he doesnt even like doing comedies anymore.

I used to consider myself a huge Jim Carrey fan. Dumb and Dumber, the Ace Ventura films, Cable Guy, Liar Liar all of them were gold.

Now he's putting out crap like The Majestic (yawn) the touched by an angel feeling Bruce Almighty and now his new film whatever its called. Throw in The Truman show and things are looking bleak.

No one enjoys him in these films. All the critics who like these sorts of films consider him a joke. All his fans consider him a sellout.

Anyone else getting pissed off at this huge waste of potential?

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Uhhh...maybe you shouldn't pass judgement on Jim Carrey or the movie until you actually see it.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (that's the movie you're talking about) was written by Charlie Kaufmann, the same guy who wrote the screenplays for Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and Being John Malkovich. All of which are very good movies.

You see, it's not always the actor who makes or breaks a movie, and in this case, with or without Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine would have been a good movie no matter what.

No one enjoys him in these films. All the critics who like these sorts of films consider him a joke. All his fans consider him a sellout.
So you're speaking for everyone? A sellout? He's actually doing something different for a change...I respect him for that. And Eternal Sunshine isn't the same type of movie as The Majestic or Bruce Almighty. Which were both crap in my opinion.

I think, maybe he wants his career to be taken seriously, or maybe, *gasp* he got tired of doing comedies. Come on, he only did about 10 of them from the early to mid 90s.

At any rate, it sounds like you need to start watching some good movies. Yeah, comedies are always funny, but nothing can top a well-made, thought provoking movie. This is why movies like Dumb & Dumber never win Best Picture at the Oscars, even though they are funny.

sAxyguy83

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I dunno, I thought Bruce Almighty was pretty funny.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes the Majestic probably did suck, but you've got the wrong idea about this film entirely. I wrote it up on my web journal, so here's a copy & paste:

K what else...oh yeah I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with a date last Wednesday. Sadly I think she wanted me to fool around with her since she marched me right to the back of the theatre and two couples around us seemed to be doing that mutual hands-in-pants thing but I couldn't go through with that because I was so entranced by the absolute, ****ed-up, amazing, hazy weirdness of this movie. When you are willing to pass up aforementioned sexual favours for a film, on the third date no less, then yes that's a pretty awesome film.

Just be aforewarned (is that a word?) that unlike other films written by Charlie Kaufman (Kaufman is the guy who wrote Adaptation and Being John Malkovich) this isn't exactly very "zany". It's more, uhhh... "mature" but I think the best way to describe it is just softer in every way, which was a surprise. It even bordered on a chick flick sometimes, albeit a really well-written non-sappy one with visuals that completely blew my mind not only because I couldn't figure out how the hell half the things in the film could possibly be accomplished, CGI or not, but because most of it happens in Jim Carrey's brain (this is NOT a spoiler, it becomes evident early in the film) so all events are almost at random, sometimes hazy, hell sometimes set pieces are literally dissolving as memories die away right on screen. I'm going to want to watch this film 3 more times before I can figure it out, but that would cost me...$40 so I'll have to wait, agonizingly, for the DVD. I give it an honest-to-god 9/10 for courageous artistic vision, sheer complexity and total mindfvck-ness.

Big-J

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kinda reminds me of Robin Williams doing parts that are neither comedic, nor a good guy type character.

He did a great job on that and IMO proved he's more than a comedy actor.

Jim Carrey is trying to do the same thing. Problem is, his movies end up being comedic with him in it. If he wants to prove to people that he's a serious actor that can do more than just comedy, he's gotta do something that's serious from the get-go.

blackbirdbeatle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Movie

I thought he was great in this film. The whole film was pretty serious, and Kate Winslet was wakier than Jim in it. Just like the Truman show, buy the way he did win a golden globe for, it shows that he can actually act. I don't recall anyone thinking Jim was a sellout for making the Truman show.

I suppose you felt betrayed that Tom Hanks a comedic actor, decided to do serious films like Philadelphia and Forrest Gump. Or when Bill murray switched it over to the serious role in Rushmore or Lost in Translation? I suppose all the accolades they both got for all of these films were really people just saying that they've sold out or that critics thought think that they are just jokes.

Go to rottontomatoes.comand type in any of the above movies and you'll get about a 95% and above positive rating for all of these films from hundreds of different people and critics.

I'm glad people like you don't run the studios or else we would get sh@tty summer movies all year long.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that Jim Carrey has stopped making stupid movies, now he's supposedly wasting our time. Chalk it up to differences in taste. Years from now you will hate the movies you liked when you were young, just listen to the old; it's just something I've noticed; listen to them and you will hear about how when they watch movies they liked when they were in their twenties; in particular, dumb broad comedies; they can't fathom how they could have liked such pieces of "drivel". Directors of films, also, tend to later look down upon dumb comedies that they made; that while the films they made may have been funny, there was nothing behind the films which resonated long-term worth, because the films were about nothing.

I read the final screenplay draft of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind before the film was released and that draft was more bizarre, though more nihilistic and fatalistic, than the released film which was more humanistic with a softer ending. Eternal was also a dramedy which in my view is a great genre-bending genre, but is often criticized by other people as being neither comedy nor drama.

One final note: I noticed that if you take the acronym for the film, which would be ESSM, and move the 'm' to the front, you get MESS.

Great movie.

Last edited:

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gotta agree with that. Jim is far better when he's really goofy! I'm laughing now just thinking about Dumb and Dumber:D

Saw Man In The Moon last night for the first time. Enjoyed that one.

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Something tells me these people haven't even seen ESSM.

And I agree 100% with blackbirdbeetle, if we had people like them running the studios, it would be nothing but teen comedies, Vin Diesel/The Rock action flicks, and superhero movies all year long.

Reaction score
Jim Carrey is a comedic genius. The guy can make me piss my pants just by lifting an eyebrow. His timing and mannerisms are superb.

Let someone else do the serious movies, f*ck, any a list actor in Hollywood can do these movies. Jims better than that. Much better.

Its not the same as Hanks turning to serious movies. Hanks was never that funny.

Carrey is better than any actor when it comes to comedy and he's pissing it away. I had a conversation with a friend about who was funnier Will Farrell or Carrey. It shouldnt be a contest at all!! But it was, because Carreys done nothing for 7 years or so.

It is a waste. I think of all the movies he could be doing that would actually make people laugh and i cant believe it.

I hope he wins an Oscar and decides that he's done with serious movies sometime before he's 60. If he continues like this we've all been robbed.

elvis aint dead yet

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem is, most of Jim Carey's recent movies have become more or less, boring comedies.

I enjoyed the TRUMAN SHOW unlike many people and never liked The Cable Guy.

However, the difference between Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Bill Murray and so on are they might still do comedic movies once in a while, but they also do very serious roles.

Maybe this new movie he's in, which I haven't seen, will be a more serious role, but as I said before, most of Jim Carey's recent movies are nothing more then bad comedies, and not Jim Carey becoming a more serious actor.

If he wants to become considered a more serious actor and less of a comedian, then he should start choosing better roles that have serious plots and better movies.

Like I said, I haven't seen this movie yet, so I will wait to say how good of an actor he was in this movie.

However, a guy posted aboved stated that with or without Jim Carey this movie would have been good.

That in itself speaks volumes on Jim Carey and his quest to be a serious great actor.

Great Actors need to be in movies. Without them and their character in a movie, the movie would not be the same.

If Jim Carey's character is replaceable by another actor in this movie, then he obviously isn't doing a good job at becoming a great actor.

Bones

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's unfortunate that comedies are considered less worthy than dramas or other more "serious" works. I think being a good comedian requires more intelligence than most careers I can think of. I also think that action movie stars are underrated as well; Mel Gibson, Schwartzenegger and Clint Eastwood have all proven recently to be wildly successful in other areas of cinema or life other than blowing people up. Carrey is clearly a comic actor only; but that's not good enough for him and he can afford to do stupid movies he's not made for. The best movies of all time are-

Citizen Kane
Amadeus
Gladiator
The Godfather

could be forgetting something

blackbirdbeatle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Take out gladiator and I would agree with you about those movies being among the best.

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A Clockwork Orange, Lawrence of Arabia, Pulp Fiction and Apocalypse Now are also among the best.

If you haven't seen them yet, see them.

Bones

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps Gladiator can't be considered one of the all-time best movies but it is a personal favorite of mine. I've been meaning to check out a Clockwork Orange and other Kubrick movies for a long time.

Black Bahindian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GigaloDJ
I feel you man!!!!

WTF?! I want Ace Ventura 3!! :D
Even better, I want him to take it back to the In Living Color days and make "Fire Marshall Bill: The Movie!":D

(I know it probably won't happen, but if Damon Wayans can make "Homey D. Clown" movie, he can make a Fire Marshall Bill Movie)

On_the_Top

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if Jim Carrey wants to be taking as a serious actor, than "he" is going to have to be serious. He has that type of personality where he must entertain, act goofy, and be funny.

Engetsu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just watched this movie with a group of 6 friends. The movie is now over and it is now 5 a.m.. Sadly, I found myself being the only one to be actually blown away by the movie, its beauty, its message, and its artistic value. My friends all disliked the movie to the point of calling it "shìtty" and "boring"...

However, right before that, we watched an excellent French movie called "La Haine" ("Hate"), and my friends, all being raised in lower-class neighborhoods and ghettos, could actually connect better with the movie and relate to its characters a little more, finding it a lot more enjoyable.

I guess this confirms a comment that I read on IMDb about ESSM... If you can relate to the movie (and I must add: or have a very open mind), you will find it absolutely stunning and beautiful, but if you can't, you will get the message, but sadly, you won't be taken by it.

If anyone saw the movie "La Haine", you will see early on in the movie that the message that it's trying to get across is that it's not the destination that counts, but the voyage... Or if you translate it literally: How far you fall doesn't matter, it's how you land. That movie is worth your time, and if you guys can get your hands on it, please don't let the opportunity of watching it pass you by.

Finally, I think that ESSM is a great break-up movie. Personally, I watched it having broken up from an LTR a week earlier, and it gave me the ability to have a different perspective on life as well as the pleasure of being entertained by a great film.

PS: Jim Carrey is a good actor, and I really enjoyed him in this movie.

Ntwadumela

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a great movie. I think, one of the greats of 2004. I dont know what it was, but somethin bout the movie just was great. My attention was fully on the movie the whole time. I couldnt take my eyes off it. Im not sayin best picture or anything, but up there...