Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is referring to you by name an IOI?

jogel13

Don Juan
Reaction score
What about if she's not making eye contact but seems interesting in talking to you?

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jogel13 said:
What about if she's not making eye contact but seems interesting in talking to you?
I think that indicates one of two scenairos:

A. She is being friendly and courteous but is NOT interested romantically or otherwise

B. She is very interested, to the point where she is nervous in approaching you

Most of the time, it's the first scenario.

However, if she is trying hard to make eye contact but can not hold it, than it's probably Scenario B.

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IKO69 said:
Referring to you by your name can be. I know when I usaully meet a girl I like for the first time I try calling her by name a lot.
Same here. I think it's universal!

S.Y.L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Im gonna have to say no, she may just talk like this normally

Listen to the way she says it.

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
S.Y.L said:
Im gonna have to say no, she may just talk like this normally

Listen to the way she says it.
The way she says it sounds "sweet" I guess. I wouldn't have made this thread if it sounded dull or hostile.

Not sure if she's doing it to be polite, but I think it's a little thing girls like her might do without realizing it. I think it's a subtle IOI. Not a major one, just a habit that's good if your on the receiving end.

For the record, I'm not suggesting she's insanely attracted to me, just that she would like to get to know me better, hence the name recall. Logically it makes sense.

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wolf said:
And girls always make sense logically?
No, but just think about the concept of name recalling and exposure.

If you are attracted to someone, you're going to be more responsive and involved in the conservation than you would be otherwise. It's instinctive.

It's a subtle thing to pick up on, and I'll admit it isn't fool proof, but there is validity to the idea if you pick up on it and see other IOIs.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in a business environment and make it a habit to call everyone by name. Reasons I do it are to grease the wheels of the conversation and because the repetition helps me remember people that I meet. NONE of these have anything to do with IOI's (attraction). It's just good people skills in general. This habit is now internalized and carries over into my social life with everyone I meet.

You can make the case that if a girl REMEMBERS your name, you made an impression on her, which may include attraction or not. Whether or not attraction was a factor is interpreted through context and her subcommunication. And a lot of times the social cues you need to figure this out don't exist so it's a waste of time to overanalyze this. The girl might remember your name because she was attracted, or she might remember your name because you look like her little brother. Who knows

I can picture a lot of noobs going out and thinking, she said my name, I thought that meant she liked me, where did I go wrong, totally oblivious to how generalizing an ambiguous social cue makes them totally uncalibrated

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The original girl I had in mind here has since noticeably lost interest :( ... and no longer refers to me by name.

I definitely think it was an IOI.

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Could be (and much of the time it is), but women are like snowflakes. Don't read into it too much.

Bonafide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thought chick referring to me by name was an IOI come to find out she does it to every guy she talks too... :cry:

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonafide said:
thought chick referring to me by name was an IOI come to find out she does it to every guy she talks too... :cry:
She might just be a flirt, keep that in mind. If a girl smiles at me, touches me on the shoulder, or calls me by name I say "down boy" and take it with a grain of salt...a good many girls enjoy attention from guys and flirt with every one that crosses their path. I'm sure you'd do the same thing if you were in that position.

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MascaraSnake said:
She might just be a flirt, keep that in mind. If a girl smiles at me, touches me on the shoulder, or calls me by name I say "down boy" and take it with a grain of salt...a good many girls enjoy attention from guys and flirt with every one that crosses their path. I'm sure you'd do the same thing if you were in that position.
Yea... that's good advice. Not smart get worked up over a girl who treats every guy like that.

If only there as a flirt vs. true interest indicator.

david99

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is getting a BJ a sign of IOI?

Come on man, just assume all chicks are interested until proven otherwise.

SuavePlaya

Don Juan
Reaction score
I do the same thing IKO69 does. People seem to be more comfortable with you when you refer to them by their names.

Fleshy99

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe she might just be trying to remember your name by repeatition. I know lots of people including myself who are bad with names. On the other hand I usually try to remember people's names when I'm interested in them even for professional reason.

It really depends, I wouldnt go run a country based on that logic.