Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is it possible to lose weight and not count calories?

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's up guys, Swayze here, trying to lose weight for the summer and keep it off.

I've lost weight before but I did it through strict dieting and weight training.

My question is, can I lose weight this summer by simply lifting, playing a lot of basketball (cardio), and eating junk only in moderation? I don't plan on stuffing my face, all I'm saying is that counting calories is far too stressful and unsustainable for me.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Armourhead

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are the results considerably different? @Espi @Tictac
It's going to depend on the individual in question.
Counting calories is definitely going to be more accurate and will probably lead to better overall results, as long as you aren't the kind of person to get massively stressed out about it. It takes getting used to but eventually you reach a level of memorization that you just automatically mentally calculate the calories as you go.

Fitness is a marathon not a sprint and if you take the time early on the master this skill then you'll reap the benefits later. Counting gets a lot of bad press because its more work and people are lazy but I'd highly recommend it. I saw much more success after I started counting.

If you aren't going to count calories then seriously try to make an effort to eat as "clean" as possible. Lots of water, veggies etc, tonnes of lean protein, as these foods fill you up and satiate you better than junk food does. Even if you don't count calories they still add up. If you are eating healthier foods there is a greater chance you won't overeat because you'll feel more satiated/full.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's super easy on "eat-stop-eat", which means 1-2 fast days per week. See when man hunted for food and didn't have refrigeration he might go a half a day or a nearly a full day without eating, sometimes two. It's not unhealthy. These fast days balance out any over eating or over carb days. So unless your trying to be a body building mass monster, it's a pretty good way to go, and lets you have a few feast days per week.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good feedback so far guys. I really need to get my crap together. I literally feel bad about myself when I look down at my belly. Maybe I'm being hard on myself, but I don't see why a girl would be physically attracted to fat guys. All I know is, I want to be lean, and I'm lifting again. I already feel better.

I stopped going to the gym though, I use free weights at my house now. I probably will end up counting calories at some point again but I really couldn't handle it after a while.

Good luck to everyone with fitness goals.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Over a one year period, my middle son (22) lost 50 pounds (and exchanged lean for fat) via 5-day per week cardio and weight lifting. He looks great and feels even better.

While he ate better over that period (moderated intake, way less junk food and ice cream...) and continues to watch what he eats, no calorie counting was involved.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its pretty simple, burn more energy than you are putting in. Bread and pasta are basically a complex sugar...eat less of these. Fresh fruit and raw veges are good fillers and provide some energy. Water always helps. I don't count calories but I know what food is healthy and what isn't. I also know when I have eaten too much. We all do. Eat healthy, have a few carbs but too many, and you will lose weight if you are exercising as well.

mikhailsadvice

Don Juan
Reaction score
When I started I counted calories for a few months, then stopped. It's good for a while because it educates you on how much you're taking in, which surprises a lot of people. At this point I can calculate +/-10% how much I'm eating when I look at any food. I don't, because at this point it's internalized but the concept is to educate yourself.

Armourhead

Don Juan
Reaction score
When I started I counted calories for a few months, then stopped. It's good for a while because it educates you on how much you're taking in, which surprises a lot of people. At this point I can calculate +/-10% how much I'm eating when I look at any food. I don't, because at this point it's internalized but the concept is to educate yourself.
This is very true. It becomes automatic after you do it for a while, you can just eyeball most food and roughly know. Its win-win, no stress because you don't have to carry a calculator around with you and its effective because you are mostly accurate. Just give it time and the results will start to add up

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its pretty simple, burn more energy than you are putting in. Bread and pasta are basically a complex sugar...eat less of these. Fresh fruit and raw veges are good fillers and provide some energy. Water always helps. I don't count calories but I know what food is healthy and what isn't. I also know when I have eaten too much. We all do. Eat healthy, have a few carbs but too many, and you will lose weight if you are exercising as well.
Oooh...but it isn't that simple...

Studies have shown that when pasta/rice is cooked and cooled it turns into a resistant starch, similar to oatmeal, etc that feeds the good bacteria in your body and keeps blood sugar down. In fact cooking, cooling and then reheating it was shown to help even more. My advice if you are eating pasta? Cook it, cool it, then reheat it before eating.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you track your calorie consumption/metabolic needs you will have a much easier time knowing how to reach your target weight

If you think that's not worth it, then you're prob not that serious about hitting a target weight. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just started tracking my calories with the Loseit app today again. I'm happy about this. I have the whole summer to slim down and I'm hoping after that all I need to do is maintain my body and exercise daily.

Consistency is key.

One thing I noticed; today was the first time I have actually been HUNGRY in a while. I mean like, stomach rumbling.

It just goes to show that we are victims of instant gratification and I really haven't been disciplining my self much at all this year.