Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is America safe as indian student or as working professional

manish

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys..i,m planning to do masters in USA.to be specific in Michigan.

is it a safe place to stay?

what are the areas and things which i should avoid?

what are the general rule you guys follow to be safe?

please let me know

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In all big Northern cities, it's dangerous to be friendly.

You should be all right if you leave home after sunup and get back before sundown, keep to public places with plenty of foot and car traffic, and don't flash cash or an expensive watch or cell phone.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WTF is this lol? Of course its safe. I was born and raised in Michigan, never had an issue. I honestly thought the initial OP question was a joke at first. If you can't be safe in the midwest of the US of A, you aren't safe anywhere.

As for Detroit, Detroit is fine. Do you want to live in some of the ghetto areas or the poorer suburbs? No. But many of the outlying counties of Detroit are some of the wealthiest in the US. Birmingham, Rochester, Bloomfield Hills, Grosse Point. All very wealthy. I lived in the Macomb area for years. Great area. Plenty of wealthy people and wealthy homes. Safe as anywhere in the world.

OP....what area of Mich are you moving to? I know the entire state very well.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Down Low said:
In all big Northern cities, it's dangerous to be friendly.

You should be all right if you leave home after sunup and get back before sundown, keep to public places with plenty of foot and car traffic, and don't flash cash or an expensive watch or cell phone.
This is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen in my life. Seriously.

You act like Zombies come out at night. My God. Northern/midwest people are the friendliest people you will meet anywhere. As I said in the prior post, I grew up in Michigan. Moved to S Cal 5 years ago. People are wayyyyyy friendlier and outgoing in the midwest. Not even close. You can always spot the midwest people out here in CA (and there are tons of them) because they are the ones who are smiling and talking to you on the street. I have been in downtown Detroit a 1000 times at night, NEVER had an issue. And most of Michigan is small towns and cities anyway. Mostly all white too.

You live in Maryland, home of the one of the most violent cities in the USA (Baltimore) and can say that? Wow.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Manish, Cordon's right. While I haven't lived in Michigan, I used to live in one of the top 10 crime ridden cities in America. I was fine, you just need to know which areas to avoid. As long as you avoid certain areas of any city, you will be fine. That and some common sense. Hope you enjoy your time here in America and welcome.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Avoid Flint, MI as well.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^ I lived in Fenton for 5 years or so. Great city. About 15 minutes south of Flint. I can attest to this. :)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've heard that Windsor, Ontario, just across the border from Detroit, is actually a nice place - especially compared to much of Detroit.

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cordoncordon said:
You act like Zombies come out at night.
In every city the troublemakers come out at night. There's even a song that pokes fun at it.

You're completely wrong and giving bad advice when you tell someone who isn't street smart to say "hi" to anyone he passes on the street. In the South, yes, always acknowledge passers-by. In the rest of the US, no.

goundra

Banned
Reaction score
everyone should learn martial arts and ccw (concealed carry of weapons) a handgun, period. If you can't be bothered to handle the most BASIC of needs (ie, self defense,) you are a flake, period.