Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is a big ego strictly necessary to be successful? If so how much?

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"In my youth I was very conceited. But that's all changed now. Now I'm perfect!" -Victor Borge as Franz Lizst

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
CostaDeSol said:
Mike32ct:

Have you ever seen the film "Invictus"?

No I haven't.

In "Invictus" Nelson Mandela and the captain of South Africa's Rugby team, Francois Pienaar, have this conversation:

Nelson Mandela: How do you inspire your team to do their best?

Francois Pienaar: By example. I've always thought to lead by example, sir.

Nelson Mandela: Well, that is right. That is exactly right. But how do we get them to be better then they think they CAN be? That is very difficult, I find. Inspiration, perhaps. How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do? How do we inspire everyone around us? I sometimes think it is by using the work of others.

What Mandela is simply saying is that he wants South Africa's Rugby team to be the best in the world. Unfortunately for them, they are lowly ranked and think they are going to get creamed when they play highly ranked teams. So to get South Africa's Rugby team to be the best, Mandela is saying the players need to believe they can be the best.

I think this applies to your ego question. I think that to push your self to be the MVP, you need to believe its possible. You need to believe you are an MVP.

Unfortunately sometimes, once people become highly successful, or think they will become highly successful, they either treat people like crap, or REPEATEDLY talk about themselves very highly. In other words, they continually show off.

My advice, believe in your self, but remain as humble as possible.
I agree with this one because it's consistent with my personal beliefs.
Or as Naughty Ninja said, "Speak softly but carry a big stick."

But, everybody has to have or find their own way so I totally respect the other views. I just found the topic interesting because I know different kinds of people ranging extremely humble to extremely ****y with varying degrees of success. It was interesting to hear the different perspectives.

Of course, we all have some sort of ego. Aren't most of the posts on here some sort of AW-ing? Not necessarily bragging, but seeking some attention? Sure.

Anyway thanks all.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I know if i walk in a room with a bunch of dudes and there are 2-3 girls everyone wants i know that i probably have more game than anyone else in the room. i have no reason to not believe this beucase this has pretty much been the case my adult life.
See, that doesn't sound like big ego to me, that sounds more like true confidence. If you know you are good at something, if you've done it before and have gotten good results, that is confidence.

I think a big ego can help you build yourself up though. Some people simply will not be happy being only average, they demand excellence from themselves. Part of this is big ego probably, and some of it is just sensing the potential you have in yourself.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Speaking from someone who has a had a big ego, and that being one of the causes of nearly losing everything... No big ego is not necessary for success.

To me, success is based on hard work, belief, and an iron will to make it.

A big ego can even hold you back, lead you to be ****y and not put everything into something you should because you falsely believe your the best.

The best have the confidence to say there the best because they have put the work and dedication in to get there!

The key is to be confident and always self check yourself and improve what you are doing.

Egoism and confidence are two separate things, if you are successful you should acknowledge that, but never get carried into your own hype.

Ego-ism is not necessary for success confidence, determination, belief and hunger are some of the attributes necessary for success!