Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is a big ego strictly necessary to be successful? If so how much?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
The "Better than you" thread got me thinking. Rather than hijack that thread, I figured I'd start a new one.

It's sort of a chicken and egg question. We know a lot (but not all) successful people have big egos, even including arrogance. Did the big ego drive them to success or did success lead to the big ego? Or both?

Some people say destroy the ego so you are open to criticism and improvement. Others insist that a sizeable ego is essential to succeed in life and with women.

What do you guys think? Is a big ego necessary?

I'm on the other extreme as a humble small ego guy, but I'm willing to revisit this topic and hear other viewpoints.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you have to be assertive, bold and a go getter as a male to be successful usually. But I definitely think that a big ego alone won't get you that far and can even work against you. I think your appearance or other factors besides ego that cause people to like and cooperate with you have to be there as well. So I'd say it's not ego alone that's responsible. I think there needs to be positive feedback from others to develop and maintain the big ego.

Crazystarf

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your ego must be internalized in order to accept criticism from other people as well as cooperating with others. You can use the ego that is hidden inside you as your drive to further improve yourself.

You can flaunt your ego, but make sure you can back it up.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm glad you saw my thread as an initial inspiration.

Having an ego is like having an engine. If you have no engine, you will never get anywhere. Most people cover themselves and say they do not have an ego. These people are usually conformists that simply think there is nothing beyond your line of sight. Your ego is your only friend to get you where you want to be. It's letting everyone know "I'm Mike and i am success". If you aren't able to say this and think it, how are you possibly going to believe it? How are you possibly going to wake up every morning and continue to do whatever you are striving for? You are sooner or later desist and tell yourself that you shouldn't continue. If you tell yourself "I'm better than everyone around me", "No one/Nothing will stop me from getting what i want", "I'll do anything to get what i want", "The world is mine for my picking", you will achieve whatever you desire no matter what. The universe won't even begin to cover what you CAN do. It's all a state of mind and many people don't even think of this because of the repercussions and backlash it brings. They want to do things by the book and care about others and their feelings. Yourself is the most important thing in the end, not others. "I come, I see, and i conquer"

Too much humility is a flaw. If you are arrogant and ****y, why would you change for others? If you are happy with yourself, why would you change to PLEASE OTHERS? You are pleasing yourself because you are happy and others can either love you or hate you. At the end of the day, they will have to step aside to see you realize your dreams and they will still be looking from far at what you achieve and what they can't.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol you can tell in this thread who is actually grown and who isn't.

Look, I'm a very successful person. Do I think highly of myself? yes. Do I think I can and will do anything I put my mind to eventually? without question. DI think I'm better than everyone else around me? There are exceptions but for the most part yes I do lol.

Without turning this into a gloat thread, there is no doubt in my mind I would not be where I am now if I did not have that type of confidence and belief in myself. Because the stuff I set my mind on doing, people just don't do. If I believed I was not any better than anyone else I would not try the **** I try to do and eventually do beucase no one else does the **** I want to do.

However OP the thing is, to get the ego I have, i went out and earned it. I have a reason to have an ego I've done ****. You haven't. I think that's everyone's rub against you. When I was your age I was quite insecure. I didnt' think I was any better than anyone else beucase i had no tangible reason to believe I was so.

You want to be successful that's a great thing. But go out and actually be successful. It doesn't take an ego to bust your ass, dream and plan, push yourself. Ego comes when you set goals and reach them, not because byou have goals in the first place. lol that's just being a prick.

ScottMustaine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
I'm glad you saw my thread as an initial inspiration.

Having an ego is like having an engine. If you have no engine, you will never get anywhere. Most people cover themselves and say they do not have an ego. These people are usually conformists that simply think there is nothing beyond your line of sight. Your ego is your only friend to get you where you want to be. It's letting everyone know "I'm Mike and i am success". If you aren't able to say this and think it, how are you possibly going to believe it? How are you possibly going to wake up every morning and continue to do whatever you are striving for? You are sooner or later desist and tell yourself that you shouldn't continue. If you tell yourself "I'm better than everyone around me", "No one/Nothing will stop me from getting what i want", "I'll do anything to get what i want", "The world is mine for my picking", you will achieve whatever you desire no matter what. The universe won't even begin to cover what you CAN do. It's all a state of mind and many people don't even think of this because of the repercussions and backlash it brings. They want to do things by the book and care about others and their feelings. Yourself is the most important thing in the end, not others. "I come, I see, and i conquer"

Too much humility is a flaw. If you are arrogant and ****y, why would you change for others? If you are happy with yourself, why would you change to PLEASE OTHERS? You are pleasing yourself because you are happy and others can either love you or hate you. At the end of the day, they will have to step aside to see you realize your dreams and they will still be looking from far at what you achieve and what they can't.

Dude, like I read...and read... and think " He's starting to get it..."

Then you bang a fkin wall... Then once again I start to think you're getting it and you fk it up again.

Snap out of it. Yes, you need to think very good about yourself, most of us possess power to change and do something. Difference is, some only possess. Others actually channel it.

The best thing you can do with yourself is to beat the your old self.

You know, compete against yourself and destroy your past self.

PlayHer Man

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the key to success is:

1. Strong ambition and determination.

2. The ability to produce results.

The root of ambition is greed and fear. Wanting more than you have and wanting it bad. It can be money, power, sex, fame, whatever. Also, the fear of losing what you already have will push you to stay on top.

Do you need a big ego to be greedy or fear losing status? Not really.

I didn't get a big ego until I realized I had the ability to produce results and in many cases a stronger ability than many other people.

Succeeding wear others have failed will boost your ego. I started out with a small ego, but lots of greed and ambition. My ability to get results gave me the ego.

I do believe that some people are just born with a big ego and confidence.. but this doesn't always lead to success if the talent isn't there. For example.. in college I dated this girl that wanted to be an actress after she graduated. She had big dreams of fame and success. She even acted like a damn celebrity half the time. She was bold, opinionated and confident. We broke up because her ego was too big and I was sick of her sh!t. We had a big blow out and she told me how I was beneath her anyway and she was better than me and blah, blah' blah, etc.

Yup, she was as fearless and confident as they come. Unfortunately, she was dumber than a bucket of shrimp and had no talent at all. So she went nowhere in life. I think she is currently unemployed and living with her parents while still chasing her acting dream at age 27 (if Facebook is any indication).

So ego does not lead to success. Being able to produce results and be useful to others is what creates success.

That's what I believe.

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
Ego is not a dirty word- Skyhooks(1975)

The bigger ego the better. Its part of the Narcissim family which of course is 1 of the 3 dark triad traits. Which has proven throughout history over and over to produce the gina tingles.

That's the way it is and that's the way it always will be.

To be fair I tried to absorb Eckhart Tolle's ego death many times but it just became white noise my mind wouldn't accept, perhaps I wasn't ready for it who knows?, but lets face it it's only herbish liberals and ugly fembots who have a stick up their bums over mens ego's. Forget that, mens ego's lead to greatness.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, the ego has to be there. It should grow and strengthen in proportion to your said skill.

Ever see Pumping Iron? Arnold had a huge ego, very ****y, arrogant even. So in your mind you try and knock him down, then you look at what he looks like, all his Mr. Olympia titles, the infectious charisma, and you think 'damn, I can't knock this guy down, he really IS that great".

Keep the ego and the skills balanced. If you talk shıt, make it happen.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not necessary.

No ego to bruise is a strength, not a weakness. People with huge egos have built up that ego as a defense. They have this fantasy of themself that is only there to cover up weakness/insecurity.

Ego =/= confidence

Naughty Ninja

Banned
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:
The "Better than you" thread got me thinking. Rather than hijack that thread, I figured I'd start a new one.

It's sort of a chicken and egg question. We know a lot (but not all) successful people have big egos, even including arrogance. Did the big ego drive them to success or did success lead to the big ego? Or both?

Some people say destroy the ego so you are open to criticism and improvement. Others insist that a sizeable ego is essential to succeed in life and with women.

I'm on the other extreme as a humble small ego guy, but I'm willing to revisit this topic and hear other viewpoints.

True self confidence. No ego needed. Most all people I've ever known with an ego were full of sh1t and the most insecure people hiding behind a weak facade. Walk softly, carry a big stick.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Naughty Ninja said:
True self confidence. No ego needed. Most all people I've ever known with an ego were full of sh1t and the most insecure people hiding behind a weak facade. Walk softly, carry a big stick.
you are confusing egoism with arrogance.

it's funny this thread came up yesterday i was watching the Muhhamad ali marathon on ESPN classic (funny the **** you do when you don't have the internet). me being 29 i was years after ali's prime. i knew he was good but i had no idea just the amount of **** talking he did until i sat down and watched all his fights. and the funny thing is he was being dead serious. he meant all that ****.

before anyone even took him seriously he told the world he was going to beat sonny Liston in 8 rounds and everyone thought he was crazy. so he did it in 7. really 6. At that time sonny liston was the heavyweight champ of the world. and here is this dude calling what round he's going to knock him out in and being right.

But the thing is, Ali beat the living dog**** out everyone who walked in the ring with him. you coudln't hit him. his hands were too fast and he had perfect mechanics. I mean none of this throwing 200 punches a round bull **** ali would throw 50-60 punches a round and connect on 40 of them and more times than not played around with whoever was in thr ing with him.

he knew he was the greatest person in the room. and he was right. everyone else (who would admit it) knew it to. you maybe didnt' like him but you coudnt' say he wasn't great.

it's not egoism that people do not like it's unwarranted egoism. People don't hate Larry Ellison for being an ego maniac he founded Oracle. People hate Larry Ellison's (making this up) son who is an ego manic for the simple reason that his dad is Larry Ellison or the girl who is just born natrually hot and think she's god's gift to mankind beucase she is pretty.

sageproduct

Banned
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
However OP the thing is, to get the ego I have, i went out and earned it. I have a reason to have an ego I've done ****. You haven't. I think that's everyone's rub against you. When I was your age I was quite insecure. I didnt' think I was any better than anyone else beucase i had no tangible reason to believe I was so.
Lol wait, the OP is Mike, who is 37 right? Haha

I have strong thoughts on this, but I'll keep my mouth shut as a 20 year old

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
sageproduct said:
Lol wait, the OP is Mike, who is 37 right? Haha

I have strong thoughts on this, but I'll keep my mouth shut as a 20 year old
Sage: LOL. You're welcome to post if you want.

Everybody: I just posted this question out of curiousity. I'm not gonna turn into some ego-maniac lol. That's not me.

It's a topic I've been curious about.

Thanks for the input so far.

\O/

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think you will accomplish much without having an ego. Your ego has to be fed from within though. If you have a big ego and it's fueled by external validation, it can lead to severe emotional trauma, maybe even depression.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ScottMustaine said:
Dude, like I read...and read... and think " He's starting to get it..."

Then you bang a fkin wall... Then once again I start to think you're getting it and you fk it up again.

Snap out of it. Yes, you need to think very good about yourself, most of us possess power to change and do something. Difference is, some only possess. Others actually channel it.

The best thing you can do with yourself is to beat the your old self.

You know, compete against yourself and destroy your past self.
Just look at the threads you post. You are the least likely to know anything about this. I am great the way i am. I am the past, present, and future. There is no old/past self. However, you should look into what confidence is, since you lack it.

@Vlad: Exactly. If you talk ****, make it happen.

XMinister

Don Juan
Reaction score
A big ego is usually correlated with success in general. Being successful doesn't mean having an ego, but most people who have an ego are successful, does that make sense?? Ego usually = confidence, but confidence doesn't always = ego.

There's a saying. Science has no ego. Science is strictly driven by truth. If we wish to avoid developing an ego, we have to avoid being victims of emotion. Truth usually breeds confidence just as well as ego does, just without negative side effects, in my opinion.

Trump

Banned
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:

You have to have some ego to succeed in life and women, but your product and game has to be tight too. You cant say "I'm rich an awesome" and have nothing to back it up.

I'm thinking more of the side that: Everyone wants you to fail unless,

1) you can make them money
2) they need something from you

Whether that needs a big ego or determination, not sure.

floydb25

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Having an ego usually comes with being successful. But in order to be successful, you must be strong, assertive, confident, and go for what you want - without caring what others think, or how it affects them (within reason). You definitely have to put yourself first, over all others, set clear boundaries, and not tolerate any disrespect, allow people to walk over you, or share weaknesses, or you'll be "finishing last".

Having an ego is one of those by-products of being a jerk. But note that being a jerk doesn't mean an ******* or ****head - although many are.

I used to be a nice guy who had a huge ego, and was arrogant, conceited, ****y, etc, and still wasn't respected, got used, wasn't very successful, etc - because I put everyone first, had low confidence, allowed people to take advantage of me, didnt stand up for myself, had no self-esteem or self-respect, shared all weaknesses, flaws and failures, etc.

The ego came mostly from all the attention and admiration from women. But the "success" was based on initial appearance only, and having an ego didn't make me very appealing afterwards. I was simply viewed as weak, insecure, shy, passive, afraid, over tolerant, etc, and was egotistical, arrogant, ****y, conceited on top of it. Worst of both worlds.

I don't think having an ego really helps, anyway - it just makes annoying, sound full of yourself, and entices people to tear you down and nitpick your flaws at every opportunity.

It's all of those jerk-like traits that makes you successful and appealing, IME. Just having an ego for the **** of it, or because you have certain materialistic things, and are social and very attractive physically doesn't mean anything. That's all fly-by ****, and based on initial impression only. Once they get to know you, and find out you are a "nice guy", or whatever, you're still going to fail, and be disrespected, pushed around, not taken seriously, looked down upon, etc.

You'll still probably get laid, but again, that's because you are good looking and have nice things - not because you have an ego. Much like being an ******* doesn't get you laid, but how you look, your behaviors, and what you say.

I think having an ego and/or being an ******* hurts more than anything. It certainly doesn't make you any more appealing, and even less so in the long run.

Even looking back in certain situations, I probably ****ed up a few hundred chances by going the egotistical ******* route. But that was based largely on insecurity, hate, self-sabotage, and going to the opposite extreme of the nice guy.

People can generally see through all this ****, which just makes them respect you less. Like, being a loud-mouth AW-braggart. Everyone knows its just an act, and a result of insecurity. Hence why none of those skanky-looking, shallow, promiscuous, *****s are taken seriously. They're insecure, have no self esteem, a strong desire to be liked, always seeking approval, etc. People know this, and treat them accordingly: like ****.