Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

iPhone

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So they come out today.

Hooray for hype!

Let me ask, because I'm thoroughly confused...

Why would anyone buy one of these?

I mean, why would you buy a computer if you already have one?

Or, why would you buy a phone if you already have one?

Even more, why would you buy an iPod if you already have one?

Beyond that, why would anyone want to bring their phone, computer, and iPod with them everywhere?

The only logical answers I can arrive at is "to feel important" or "to be seen as 'cool' for having the latest gadgetry".

Is there something I'm missing?

basbhat

Don Juan
Reaction score
How much are they going to cost?

If it is reasonable, why not....If not, uh, I don't think so...

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Really, is cost even a factor?

It's a simple matter of NEED.

Let's say there is a piece of paper in front of me. Then I hear there is a new paper coming out. Should I wait in line at the store to be one of the first to have it?

I've got a piece of paper in front of me, why would I need another piece? Just because it's new? Or... what?

And, if that piece of paper cost $500-$600...

:crazy:

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
...Let me ask, because I'm thoroughly confused...

Why would anyone buy one of these?...
Because a person is an Apple fanatic. It's a cult thing.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use a Windows Mobile Smartphone and it's very handy. The iPhone is for uSheep, just like the iPod and iMac and iLife or whatever Jobs is pitching this week.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a BIG phone person at all.. BUT when I'm out, I need certain technologies available. the ability to get on the internet while I am sitting out at the horse track is invaluable to me. however, I will only upgrade when something has a technology I don't have currently.

however, just because it's "cute" it's no point. I don't give a **** about talking on the phone.. as long as it dails I'm okay.

I'm also out on the iphone

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
That phone looks serious, but **** it. I just got a Sony Ericsson W810i, and even that has more bells and whistles than I'll ever use.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm considering getting an iphone.. not becuase it's an iphone, but because my phone is a year old and I see new technoligies out that I can use that I don't have.

It's one of my options, but I will probably go another way, unless the features on the phone are just THAT much better.. otherwise I couldn't justify paying that much for the phone, it's going to deprecate regardless, and I don't talk on the phone anyway.. I probably log more hours searching the net on my phone than actually talking on it

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing that really turns me off is its only available on AT&T. And from what I heard their network sucks.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AT&T's coverage is pretty good. Their plans aren't that great as far as texting is concerned, but the rollover minutes are excellent. I know at least my local place has great customer service. Sim cards are a nice touch too.

As for the original Topic: I'd love to have an iphone to play around with. I'm certainly not going to pay so much for it. I think its priced fairly as compared to other gadgets, but I just don't have that type of money to blow on a phone. I damage, phones too often to invest that much in one.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see a point in it.

It doesn't support HSDPA, just EDGE, which is a slower mobile broadband. It does have Wifi, but unless you're near a wireless AP that's useless. If you want Internet on your cell phone, you don't want to settle for anything less than HSDPA.

It does have 4GB (or 8GB) of flash storage, while others have less. But, if you don't have enough you can use flash storage cards to get more. I think I saw 2GB miniSD memory available for $50 the other day. I'm not sure about microSD.

The good news is that it's GSM and it's quad-band, so you can use it all over. The bad news is that it's only available with a Cingular plan, it's over priced, and it undoubtedly would be even more so if sold unlocked (if Apple ever sells it unlocked).

Basically, unless you absolutely must have Apple, you can get more for the same money. Why not use a Treo 750 or the HTC TyTn (Cingular 8525)? Or wait until the I-Mate Ultimate series comes out (they are supposed to be released very soon)?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dudes, I dont know what you are used to in the States, but compared to European standards the iPhone is outdated. It doesnt have MMS, 3G, chatprograms, no video recording, no external memory chip, no GPS and the battery is built into the phone.

To sum it in two words : it sucks!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CENTURION's right. Last time I was in Shanghai I saw phones I'd never seen before with more features than anything they offer in the U.S. and mainly because we lag in telecom here. I won't buy an iPhone and I'm a life-long Mac user. It's showing up late to the party and the blackberry my company provides me with does what I need it to already (and I'd like to throw this thing away too!)

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
Dudes, I dont know what you are used to in the States, but compared to European standards the iPhone is outdated. It doesnt have MMS, 3G, chatprograms, no video recording, no external memory chip, no GPS and the battery is built into the phone.

To sum it in two words : it sucks!
I do live in the States, and I'm quite aware of certain shortcomings in regards to technology. We aren't very good on broadband penetration because of the numerous rural areas, and the cheapest connection available anywhere (OK, I'm not sure about Alaska) is a T1, which costs anywhere from $400 - $700 USD/mo., a price most aren't willing to pay. There are other advantages to it, but again they are advantages most aren't willing to pay for. DSL is limited by distance from the CO, so the telco has to be bothered to install one before you can get it. That's why people in rural areas can't get it.

MMS? What's that?
Chat Programs? What do you mean? Like AIM and it's competition?

No external memory slot? Wow...I thought just about anything close to a smartphone/PDA had one. Apparently not.

Battery built-in? Really? That's crappy. In the Treo they stopped doing that since the Treo 600.

As for the lack of 3G, I have to wonder if Apple expects users to download songs via EDGE. The theoretical maximum speed is about 236 kbit/sec, which wouldn't be too bad. Except A) you aren't going to get the theoretical maximum, probably closer to ISDN or even dial-up, and B) I don't think it works if you are talking on the phone, which combined with the slow speed makes it worse.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh OK. Thanks.

Of course, I suppose that if the mobile is fancy enough, you can pictures as an attachment to an E-mail, which makes the MMS concept unnecessary.

Centaurion said:
MMS - multimedia messaging service (more advanced than SMS, allows you to send pictures etc). Info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

Some of the mobiles here have MSN etc.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theunflushables said:
The thing that really turns me off is its only available on AT&T. And from what I heard their network sucks.
You have to sign a two year contract with AT&T for $60 a month for a basic plan (unlimited is $100). Plus it doesn't use AT&T's high speed 3G network, it can only use their slow EDGE network.

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I've heard, it isn't particularly expensive when compared to other smart phones. Plus, it's a pretty slick video iPod.
EDGE is suppose to be ridiculously slow, but that's more to do with ATT&T than Apple. The last I heard, Apple will be going with several providers when they launch overseas, so network speed shouldn't be a problem.
Taken as a whole, it seems to be a pretty cool product. But it's just not for everyone.

I'm not getting one because smart phones are just too big. I find my small clamshell phones still too big and bulky. If they come out with an iPhone Nano, then, I'll pick one up.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, I just heard that they'll release a version WITH 3G for use in Europe. Since the phone is quad-band, you can use it here. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this "3G" version will support the "3G" here, since I believe different wavelengths are used. For voice, it's 850/1900 in the U.S. and some other countries, and 900/1800 in most others.

But, if the "3G" European version will work here, and you're dead set on getting one, you should buy one overseas, ship it here, and get a SIM card so you can use it.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They are cool phones but I don't get what the big deal is with people camping out in front of stores and etc. I mean I sure wouldn't turn one down if Apple gave me a free one, but I wouldn't pay $600 for one.