Intermittent Fasting Issue & Discussion

Apone

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been doing IF for about 3 months now and have dropped from 155-ish down to 146 and it has gotten rid of the stubborn belly fat that I couldn't lose even when I was exercising my ass off.

I do 11am to 7pm as an interval and snacks during the day don't really seem to have any effect on making me increase weight. I do snack if I get really famished and it's usually nuts, coconut slivers or pork rinds. Coconut in particular has a ton of energy when it comes to energy available per quantity consumed.

IF really is amazing beyond weight loss and fat burning. I haven't felt this healthy in a long time.
Same here. I'm on a 8am-2pm feeding window and get all of my calories during that time period when I'm fasting (2-3 days a week). I've never felt healthier and lost a lot of belly fat. Highly recommended.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just covered this in my other thread but the culprit is simply your insulin levels, you need to eat something with a lot of fibre that will digest a bit slower.

Based on OPs OP (...) I would say they are blending what they should be eating whole or not eating at all, too many carbs being digested at once spikes your insulin, initiates cravings, however if it's not all carbs but still being digested fast enough, I believe that could cause a lack of energy. You need higher quality food, not supplements. Don't blend or drink any of your calories, everything whole.

Oatmeal is my go to, you can get a pound of plain oatmeal for under $5, tastes God awful but it's an amazing addition to your diet if your struggling with symptoms of hunger.

Certain cereals are OK, you just have to pay very close attention to their macronutrient content, also skipping the milk or going with something pea or oat based maybe better for you but milk is liquid carbs, the carbs in milk are created by something called Lactose, which converts into sugar so get lactose free milk if you really want it that bad.

Couple apple slices is an underrated snack, don't do the whole apple because your gonna spike off one likely but a few slices has that sugar kick and a bit of fibre. McDonald's sells apple slices, if your ever there grabbing a coffee, might be worth it to grab some if it's gonna save you a crash later.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I just covered this in my other thread but the culprit is simply your insulin levels, you need to eat something with a lot of fibre that will digest a bit slower.

Based on OPs OP (...) I would say they are blending what they should be eating whole or not eating at all, too many carbs being digested at once spikes your insulin, initiates cravings, however if it's not all carbs but still being digested fast enough, I believe that could cause a lack of energy. You need higher quality food, not supplements. Don't blend or drink any of your calories, everything whole.

Oatmeal is my go to, you can get a pound of plain oatmeal for under $5, tastes God awful but it's an amazing addition to your diet if your struggling with symptoms of hunger.

Certain cereals are OK, you just have to pay very close attention to their macronutrient content, also skipping the milk or going with something pea or oat based maybe better for you but milk is liquid carbs, the carbs in milk are created by something called Lactose, which converts into sugar so get lactose free milk if you really want it that bad.

Couple apple slices is an underrated snack, don't do the whole apple because your gonna spike off one likely but a few slices has that sugar kick and a bit of fibre. McDonald's sells apple slices, if your ever there grabbing a coffee, might be worth it to grab some if it's gonna save you a crash later.
If you are worrying about spiking insulin off an apple you have gone way way too far into that and don't understand that spiking your insulin isn't bad, that can happen from protein even, the important thing is how quickly it lowers after the spike.

The spike is only bad if it stays high for hours and hours. Insulin is not evil. You would literally die without it.

Oatmeal is a great food and you can add some berries and a little raw honey and cinnamon to it to help with the taste. I also add protein powder to mine.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are worrying about spiking insulin off an apple you have gone way way too far into that and don't understand that spiking your insulin isn't bad, that can happen from protein even, the important thing is how quickly it lowers after the spike.

The spike is only bad if it stays high for hours and hours. Insulin is not evil. You would literally die without it.

Oatmeal is a great food and you can add some berries and a little raw honey and cinnamon to it to help with the taste. I also add protein powder to mine.
Everybody is different and eating at different times, for me an apple will absolutely initiate hunger cravings for hours, maybe your different but personally I always have to be careful.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Everybody is different and eating at different times, for me an apple will absolutely initiate hunger cravings for hours, maybe your different but personally I always have to be careful.
That has nothing to do with insulin. That's ghrelin.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My question to you guys is this: Is there anything I can eat during the fasting window (around noon) to tide me over until until my eating window at 4pm? I
Not really.
Once you eat something you break the fast and thus = fail. That is pretty much it.

Once you add something with energy it will increase the blood sugar levels etc. and your body/brain will transform to use that energy source instead of using fat as energy source.

Instead drink tea, coffee, water, or drinks, lemonade which are sugar free. Use Stevia sweeteners they are the most healthy of the sugar free option if possible to make you feel full and not hungry. Also remember that whole point is that you are hungry to some degree so it is a game of discipline mostly.

My life hack it to go to the gym in the morning; that way I drink a lot so I'm not hungry until later and I eat at noon (lunch time), as it fits into my works schedule well. After that is it quite "easy mode" and just drink some more during the day until evening. So I just eat once a day.
My point with telling this is that you need to schedule in your intermediate fasting with "life schedule" that suits your lifestyle.

Manure Spherian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People, there’s no need to make this stuff complicated. If IF works for you by keeping you on schedule and curbing hunger, then do it.

But the same rules apply, whatever your eating window is.
1. Caloric deficit.
2. Adequate protein.
3. A minimum amount of carbohydrates.
4. Physical activity.

You don’t have to do IF, keto, carnivore, or drastically cut carbs or think hormones unless that makes you happy.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People, there’s no need to make this stuff complicated. If IF works for you by keeping you on schedule and curbing hunger, then do it.

But the same rules apply, whatever your eating window is.
1. Caloric deficit.
2. Adequate protein.
3. A minimum amount of carbohydrates.
4. Physical activity.

You don’t have to do IF, keto, carnivore, or drastically cut carbs or think hormones unless that makes you happy.
I really struggle with carbs, I can sit and eat a whole loaf of white bread or a baguette, it's like frigging candy for me and I also have bad impulse control, I just do Keto and dry fast for 24 hours to get into Ketosis faster, I find if I don't dry fast I'll be craving for close to 3 days, but with the dry fast it's much quicker.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ghrelin is literally the hunger response... try googling it before writing it off.
It's a part of the hunger response affected by meal times, OP isn't fasting for long enough to have Ghrelin be a factor at all, if it was you'd see it be near his meal time, as opposed to 8 hours before.

I was just looking for an explanation from you as to why you would even bring it up in the first place, im aware of the function.

You quoted the other post, forget to switch accounts? XD

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The connection between symptoms of hunger and insulin is well established, I'm gonna need to see your biology degree if your rewriting the science here.
Fair point, but an apple is not going to do much to your insulin levels.

"Apple is not only a low calorie fruit, but also a low glycemic index fruit. The glycemic index of apple ranges from 32 to 38 as confirmed by American Diabetes Association. This means apple does not raise your blood sugar levels instantly."

obelisk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bone broth is often a great way to help tide you over without have something trigger the insulin response. 0g beef jerky (like People's Choice out of LA offers) can also be a great holdover as well.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Bone broth is often a great way to help tide you over without have something trigger the insulin response. 0g beef jerky (like People's Choice out of LA offers) can also be a great holdover as well.
I'd just drink some BCAAs.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Even calorie amounts up to 200 or 300 won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things usually.
You know how many times I've used this exact argument with you, and you say something about "stacking deficits"..?

Thanks for the laugh