Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Interesting Weights Scenario

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm still not training properly at the moment because of a recovering rotator cuff. As my financial situation stands, I cant afford to save for both a sportsbike and a gym membership - and frankly, the sportsbike is more important to me these days.

However I was laying in bed last night agonising to go lift when few weird things struck me.

I was wondering how far people could go with 90KG of freeweights and a bench in their shed. I started to think about how productive barbell split squats could be in the long term, and if it'd be possible to build a respectable [Note: not massive] body with just 90KG and the right diet.

Now dont get me wrong - I know real squats are where it's at. After all, my stomach tells me so after 5X5 of heavy squattin' :eek:. When I cant deadlift heavy every other week, I start to feel a bit cranky.

But as I said - financial situation is dictating no gym membership. What kind of progress do some of the more experienced guys think is possible with this approach?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on your current level .. your progress will be limited by the weights you have available. If you can already lift 80kg on exercise x then bringing that exercise up to 90kg won't gain you much, however going from 40kg to 90kg will be an improvement where you can make progress (and hopefully add muscle).

90kg isn't a whole lot though. Can you buy another 100kgs worth? A 200kg deadlift is very good, a 90kg deadlift isn't.

You'll gain muscle on those exercises which you can increase.. but once you've mastered your weights you won't grow anymore.

But it's good that you've got priorities. If the sportsbike is more important, buy it and enjoy it. :)

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be able to lift properly. By properly I mean 395X2 for squats and 400X2 for DL's, but after doing in my rotator cuff while doing a series of clean and presses, I've lost a considerable amount of muscle.

The cuff is feeling better now, but I dont dare go above about 70KG for benching right now. I dont go above that for any olympic lifts either - I just feel like it needs longer.

Essentially, the strength will come back pretty swift, and the mass will be easier to pack on because my body is used to having a decent amount of muscle on it.

I was just considering how far I could go with what I have down in the shed until I have enough money for the gym again.

I could buy more weights, but they'd only serve their purpose on deadlifts. I'd need to buy a new bench because the one I have at the moment cant really take more than me + 90KG as it is, and I dont have a squat rack at hom e- therefore costing about as much as it would to join the gym for a year again! :lol:

If you have any links to good articles to do with home-made squat rack creation up your sleeve, I might bite the bullet and go for more weight ;)

Cheers for the reply

Ben

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn, my old dad'd love to make you a squat rack.. when I was 17 he made me barbells made out of iron pipes with buckets filled with concrete on either end. That started my lifting career, lol. It can be done though. Befriend a welder!

If you're just doing rehab work then I'd work into the weights you've got.. once they're easy then start saving for the gym. :) Enjoy your bike in the meantime.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hehe, ghetto weights :) They work a treat.

I guess all isnt lost. A bit of sled dragging, sandbag work, and other strongman training can still be done ghetto style to add another dimension to the easy and boring lifts to come :) I could also use the spare time I have to work on energy system training, so I'm in good shape to start back in the gym when my financial situation improves.

Damn straight I'll enjoy the bike... Aiming for amateur racing in 2 years time :woo:

Thanks for the help,

Ben

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I'm here, I cant quite get to parallel on my squats anymore! I seem to have seized!

What stretches do I require to resolve this issue? I just need the names, I'll research them myself :)

Cheers,

Ben

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to the Dogg Pound on intensemuscle.com and there's an extreme stretches sticky, the quad stretches are a few pages in but the whole thread is a worth the read. :)

The strength will come back very quickly mate.