Important: Ankle Injury

Reaction score
Okay so I'm going back into my damn apartment this afternoon and without looking I miss this huge hole in the ground and I hurt my ankle.

The damn thing has swollen up now to the size of a ball and I have no idea what to do. I don't have any health insurance or nothing.

Does anybody know what to do? Would ice and water help or should I not try that? It also sucks because as I'm trying to get over my anger at women for not being there for me when I need them, I have ****ing no one to call to even attempt to ask for assistance. But when they need ol' Mr. Charming boy there I am.

JCballin88

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
(this may be a little off-topic but I can feel this guy's pain so I'll help him out)

I hurt mine playing basketball at college in January, and since then have blown it out 2 more times.

If it's still within 48 hours, rest and ice are the most important things. Try to keep it elevated above your heart to decrease swelling. Ice 20 minutes on, 20 off.

Stay constantly on Ibuprofen or some other anti-inflammatory. Take an extra pill if you need to.

It'll probably be bruised and discolored for a few days...this is normal. Other than that, just take it really easy. If you have an ACE bandage wrap it around your foot/ankle in alternating motions until it feels snug. It'll tighten as you walk so make sure you're not cutting off circulation. If you have big sturdy shoes with high sides, it will help to maintain stability (and tie them pretty snug too.)

BobMo'

Don Juan
Reaction score
#1 - Don't take medical advice from 20 year-olds on internet forums.

If it's not getting better in a day or two, get yourself to a hospital.

scrouds

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RICE.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

I'd also pop ibuprofin as mentioned. Normal dose is 400mg, prescription dose was usually 600mg (3 tabs)

romanticpoet

Don Juan
Reaction score
Once it's good enough to stand on, start doing ankle exercises, really helps you come back faster and makes your ankle stronger so you dont mess it up as easily. Also, if it swells up a lot, then once you can, you need to start massaging it (somewhat hard) to help break apart the scar tissue or else its going to hurt a lot and you can't bend your knees too much once you heal for a long time. Usually this only happens if its a really bad sprain.

Reaction score
Scrouds,

Nice name drop with RICE.. Are you in Medicine?

More than likely you have what's called an Ankle Inversion when your leg rotates laterally and your foot doesn't move. If you were able to put weight on it and walk more than 3 steps after injury then it probably isn't broken..

Google "Ottawa Ankle Rules".. It is a pretty much fail proof way to know if you need films taken..

RICE and try to limit amount of time you spend on it. Also start ankle and calf exercises to help strengthen up those Ligaments in your ankle..

scrouds

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not at all, just something I remember from gym class back in high school. I guess the 2 weeks of sitting in the smelly gym classroom paid off.

I'm going to have to remember the Ottawa ankle rules, that's a good guide on whether to send someone home or to the hospital.