StockTrader
Don Juan
- Joined
- Jul 3, 2003
- Messages
- 157
- Reaction score
- 2
I've been in this spot many times. When you think things are hopeless, you're tired, semi-depressed, and you just want to stay home all day and play video games.
Start setting short term goals for yourself! I mean really short term. Like, I'm going to do 5 push ups (or 10 or however many you think you can do). The key is to just accomplish one goal that you know would help you. An easy goal.
After you do your pushups or situps, then what. Immediately follow up with another short goal.
Get momentum! It takes momentum to get into a rut. First you get lazy, then you think about it some more. Then you decide, ok I'll play super mario bros for an hour. Then you put other things off. Then you stay that way for hours or days or weeks. It was momentum going the wrong way for you. Reverse it!
Besides the actual benefit of the goal (i.e. gaining strength), the real benefit is sticking to your word when you do something.
Lets say you start with some exercise. Then you pick something else, "I'm going to wash my car myself". I'll add some great music as I do it. After that, I'll read one chapter in a poker book to help improve my game (or whatever the case may be).
Challenge yourself. See how many positive short term goals you can do in a day (not even relating to women). I've found that setting short term goals helps you get in a new frame of mind and it creates a new habit for you. It's helped me out alot compared to where I was. Start small and get momentum.
Start setting short term goals for yourself! I mean really short term. Like, I'm going to do 5 push ups (or 10 or however many you think you can do). The key is to just accomplish one goal that you know would help you. An easy goal.
After you do your pushups or situps, then what. Immediately follow up with another short goal.
Get momentum! It takes momentum to get into a rut. First you get lazy, then you think about it some more. Then you decide, ok I'll play super mario bros for an hour. Then you put other things off. Then you stay that way for hours or days or weeks. It was momentum going the wrong way for you. Reverse it!
Besides the actual benefit of the goal (i.e. gaining strength), the real benefit is sticking to your word when you do something.
Lets say you start with some exercise. Then you pick something else, "I'm going to wash my car myself". I'll add some great music as I do it. After that, I'll read one chapter in a poker book to help improve my game (or whatever the case may be).
Challenge yourself. See how many positive short term goals you can do in a day (not even relating to women). I've found that setting short term goals helps you get in a new frame of mind and it creates a new habit for you. It's helped me out alot compared to where I was. Start small and get momentum.