Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I graduated from college sat...

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
Your'e right I don't care about your life enuogh to be your Dr. Phil.
Obviously you do or you wouldn't keep posting. We all know it's your man-crush on the OP. Don't worry, it's ok to be gay.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Luthor Rex said:
Obviously you do or you wouldn't keep posting. We all know it's your man-crush on the OP. Don't worry, it's ok to be gay.
Only 3rd graders tell gay jokes. Grow up dumbass

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SO wait let me get this straight...

getting a bachelors degree in biology is a waste of time then?

I thought I was going into a pretty decent course where I would have some pretty good options like PT.

What good jobs are in the medical field then since PT isnt one of them, and wouldnt a degree in biology be good and then go on from there?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n024 said:
SO wait let me get this straight...

getting a bachelors degree in biology is a waste of time then?

I thought I was going into a pretty decent course where I would have some pretty good options like PT.

What good jobs are in the medical field then since PT isnt one of them, and wouldnt a degree in biology be good and then go on from there?
Desert Fox doesnt know what hes talking about. Everything he says is his opinion which isnt based on actual facts. Do your own research man. For PT you need a master at least. A lot of physical therapists work part time, so maybe you want to look into other fields. Like i said, biology is similar to psych because you need a grad degree to get a lot of jobs. What about med school? If youre interested in research then a PhD in biology would be a good idea. Theres also a lot of subfields of biology that you may like. Let me know what youre thinking and ill try to find you some good sites. Ive been research grad schools and potential jobs and stuff for a while. A lot of kids at my school double in bio and something closely related like biological sciences or chemistry or something.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
ROFL!!1

PSychology?!?! That's the major for all the useless deadbeats who just drank through college hahaha. Fvckin sad how you think that's a respectable degree to have.

Go apply for a job at McD's or something man...a psych degree hahaha give me a break. You basically graduated college with a piece of paper and no real knowledge if you majored in psych hahahahahahaha "wide variety of options" HAHAHAHAHAAHHAAA

yeah I realize I'm being a ****, but seriously you need ot stop lying to yourself. You majored in psych because it was probably the easiest major offered at your school, probably close second was some bull**** art major. Don't lie to yourself saying you were "Realy interested" in psych....give me a fvckin break dude. Well it's too late now. Only thing you can do now is get a doctorate degree or else your degree is pretty much useless.
How about this...why are you on this site? You want to figure out how women tick so you can get in their heads and sleep with them right?

How about trying to recognize your own AFC behaviors so you can fix them right??

WTF do you think thats called?!? I'll give you a hint...it has to do with the ''useless" degree your bashing...

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
some thoughts...

Engineer here... median income for engineering is like 70k and in private industry you tend to work your ass off on salary, which means if all you want is money, you're better off becoming a nurse :)'

Back when I was doing my undergrad, the joke degree was business. That was what the students who had no clue what they wanted to do with their lives majored in, because the classes were relatively easy. At least the music and theatre majors knew they were gonna be starving

A LOT of my friends work in accounting - only a handful actually got a BS in accounting though, which shows that it is possible to switch careers. And with the exception of the ones who are CPA's, most don't make that much... maybe $20-25 an hr... comfortable, but stuck with no way out except through a CPA cert

For almost every career, I don't care what you wanna be, it IS advantageous to have a Masters degree. Whether or not you have the will to go through another year 1/2 of school is on you though. Obviously it's not necessary, but in a lot of cases, it's the natural next step. Grad school, from my experience, was less painful than doing my undergrad because most everybody was already working and the teachers adjusted the workload accordingly. Unless you're tryign to raise a family, I don't really see grad school as some torture to be avoided. Most of the sht they teach should already be interesting to you

Personally if I did bio, I'd apply to med school right after but I have a friend who got a microbiology BS, ended up working in pharmaceuticals, and makes about 50k / yr. Yeah he could do better, but he's not starving and if he wanted to, he could go to grad school/pharm school/etc to broaden his options

I have an ex who majored in political science (another "worthless" degreee, on top of that, it didn't even fit her personality). Just the fact she had a BS in something was her open door and she now makes bank as an HR manager

Bottomline, there are no hard fast rules to this. Oak, if you wanna do sales, the one thing that'll determine whether or not you get it isn't your BS, it's how proactive you are. I know a lot of people who make bank off sales, no masters degree or anything. I do know it'll be harder for you because you have a psych degree, as opposed to a marketing or business degree. But once you have a path mapped out for yourself and are willing to put in the work (and this includes grad school in something business related if needed), you'll get it. This is coming from someone who had a sht BS from a shtty former trade school.

CoolBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
Why can't we all just agree on a common consensus and not go into extremes to insult each other? Our goal is to help him be a better person. Just stick with the facts and let him know where he stands and help him from there.

No Oak is not screwed. With a degree he's in a better position than alot of people. There is something good for him to work from.

But this does not mean he didn't screw up either. He chose to major in psych without knowing what it is about before enrolling, which i suspect is the best course he can get into. Now he wants to throw away all his training and get into a new field where he has barely any advantage in. Having a degree will help him get a job, but it doesn't provide him with any training and knowledge and he is essentially starting from scratch. It is a good thing that having a degree is not anything negative. I just feel that it is a waste in opportunity costs in time and money to obtain that useless degree when he could have used those years and school fees to put himself in a much better situation than he is in now.

So the important thing now is to wake him up and make him face reality. Know where he stands and what he needs to do. Know his advantages and disadvantages compared to other people and work from there. From his posts he still seems deluded that he's gonna rake in the big bucks easily and has no idea about the strength of the position he is in, so I have no problem seeing people here flame him abit.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oak man,

Do whatever you want to. The world is now a big sandbox for you. Get your feet wet in sales and see how you do. I agree with you that your education in psych, and the fact that you've been on SS for a long time because SS does have tremendous amount of advice on issues other than women, will help you.

Lot of the theories and advice about women and approaching them is also transferable to dealing with people in general (of course, don't make any sexual moves LoL).

You're still young bro. You've got plenty of time to find something you like and build it into a career. If sales thing works out, then great. If not, then you have options. That's the most important thing to keep in mind.

And stop wasting your time and post counts arguing with people about merits of your degree and its significance. Don't "qualify" yourself to them (ok that was a cheesy reference...sue me)

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CoolBlue said:
But this does not mean he didn't screw up either. He chose to major in psych without knowing what it is about before enrolling, which i suspect is the best course he can get into. Now he wants to throw away all his training and get into a new field where he has barely any advantage in. Having a degree will help him get a job, but it doesn't provide him with any training and knowledge and he is essentially starting from scratch. It is a good thing that having a degree is not anything negative. I just feel that it is a waste in opportunity costs in time and money to obtain that useless degree when he could have used those years and school fees to put himself in a much better situation than he is in now.

So the important thing now is to wake him up and make him face reality. Know where he stands and what he needs to do. Know his advantages and disadvantages compared to other people and work from there. From his posts he still seems deluded that he's gonna rake in the big bucks easily and has no idea about the strength of the position he is in, so I have no problem seeing people here flame him abit.
I dont think im gonna rake in big bucks easily. You STILL dont get that i knew what psych was before i majored in it. And you STILL dont understand that psychology is a part of EVERDAY LIFE!!! I use what i learned EVERYDAY!! But you dont seem to grasp this concept. Advertising is psychology, marketing is psychology, builiding relationships, psychology. You seem to think that because im not becoming a psychologist, that im wasting what i learned. You need to open up your eyes and stop viewing everything so narrowly. You probably STILL think i dont know psychologist ned a PhD to practice. You dont even know what constitues as being a psychologists, or the types of psychologists that are out there. I wanted to major in psych since i was in the 9th grade. Pay attention for five seconds. You dont even know what psychology really consist of so hype down. Youre stubborn and refuse to take in what im saying. When the majority of the jobs im looking at say pay 30k base plus commission with a 1st year average of 50-60k and 2nd year average of 80k, im not gonna be pessimistic about my future. I cant explain everything on here about what i do and dont know because thats not the point. But i KNOW where i stand and what my advantages and disadvantages are. Get off your condescending high horse for 5 minutes. You feel that majoring in something and not getting a job in it is a waste...that kind of thinking causes limiting beliefs. I said this before, psychology is a part of everday life.

Now tell me how a job in marketing or sales doesnt involve psychology...???? Ill check back later and see what you have for me.

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if I was going to get some pretty good money and have an easy life hence the medical field future.

I am going for the bachelor degree in Biology since it seems like the obvious choice if I wanted to go into anything medical.

THEN I was thinking about going specalized either PT and probably go for my doctorate or PHD (Dont know how long that will take) .

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oak et al, I'm going to give you some advice. Remember that this is a different industrialized country, a different time.

I knew a guy who did Honours in Psych at a good university. Unfortunately for him, it was second class Honours as they grade it, he didn't get first class. He graduated and had a very hard time finding work. He had to take a job working in a prison. About 7 years after graduating I met him and he wasn't earning much money. His girlfriend did a Masters in psych. She couldn't find anything and worked as an office assistant.

The 2 of them graduated on the rear end of a bad recession, but not in the middle of it. When that recession in the early 80's was on, it was really bad for job seekers. And this one could well be as bad.

Science degrees vary greatly. If you had a science degree in radiology or some hard core medical discipline they would be beating down your door. Any medical related degree is hot. There is a never ending supply of work created by numerous broken down human bodies. At the other end of the spectrum is oceanology. Nobody really cares how many dolphins suffer from inhalation of plastic bags, at least not like they will pay much to hire someone to find out.

Any degree which involves tricky brain skills possessed by only a few autistic males, such as actuarial skills etc, is well paid. Any degree, eg psych which is a magnet to chicks, is underpaid.

If money is what you want, and trust me, it is a lot more comforting, later in life, than a bad dream pursued pointlessly, get the hell out of psychology. Remember, I think it was William James wasn't it, who went into advertising after leaving academic psychology, so take a lesson from a pioneer egghead who could read the writing on the wall.

Then again there is something intrinsically satisfying about talking to sociopaths in a prison, knowing that you have made a difference.

edger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A state in America that'll unmercifully leave you
I don't know much about what a Psychology degree can do for you, but I do know that a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, has done crap for me. The most I can do with Sociology, is Case Management. Problem is, these Case Management agencies require prior experience to be hired with them. I don't have that. I can however, work for the government doing Case Management. For Case Management positions with local and state gov'ts, prior experience is not required...all that is required is that you take an exam, which I've been doing since I've heard about this. I know I aced the couple of exams that I've already taken, I'm just waiting to be called for an interview. There's actually not much money in Case Management, so I'm not sure this is the avenue I really want to go, so at the presnt time, I'm actually in the process of working on my Masters in History Ed. 18 credits short of that. My cousin will be teaching Chemistry in the public school system out here on Long Island starting off with 70 grand a year. We supposedly have the highest paid teachers in the nation. He's actually starting so high because he has 2 yrs teaching experience under his belt, as he's been teaching in the Catholic school system. At present, I can't complain about my current job, as I work for a major airline, which pays decent, but I'd like to make more than what I'm currently making. Plus, I get good healthcare benefits, not to mention that I fly completely for free anywhere around the world, which I've been taking advantage of. Those who've been following my posts, does Amsterdam ring a bell anybody, lol?

My ultimate dream job as I always say, would be to play on stage every night touring the states for 6 months straight(and of course the world), but the odds of falling in to a situation like that are highly against me, so I've always made sure I've had a back-up plan. If I found the right musicians to work with and had a record company interested in signing my band, I'd ditch everything I'm doing right now and hop on the wagon. Regardless of my current career pursuits, I'm still writing tunes and trying to make a living playing music. \m/ \m/ Nothing better in the world than to get paid to play and f*ck like a bunny. I was set back for a little while, so I wasn't doing much with music, but now I'm back on track. Hopefully music will work out for me, but if it don't, at least I can say I can die knowing I gave it a legitimate try. So, I won't live with any regrets there.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ElChoclo said:
Any degree which involves tricky brain skills possessed by only a few autistic males, such as actuarial skills etc, is well paid. Any degree, eg psych which is a magnet to chicks, is underpaid.

If money is what you want, and trust me, it is a lot more comforting, later in life, than a bad dream pursued pointlessly, get the hell out of psychology. Remember, I think it was William James wasn't it, who went into advertising after leaving academic psychology, so take a lesson from a pioneer egghead who could read the writing on the wall.
People were flaming me as if i just made the decision to major in psychology BUT the point of the post was that i JUST GRADUATED. So i cant really get out of it. Today, those who teach psych generally do research or have a private practice as well. They do pretty good as far as money does. I want to be a neuropsychologist and do neuropsychological assessments. They get paid better than other psychologist and its something i think i would ENJOY every single day. Possibly doing research and giving assessments or having a private practice would provide a good amount of income.

picard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
and i need job. Its a rough life not having any money. Ive applied for a lot of jobs but havent gotten many responses. I my resume is pretty good, but i dont know what the deal is. I have a degree in psychology so have a wide range of options, but i dont know where to look to find something. Hooray for no more school!
have you tried to apply to the FBI ? The FBI is currently hiring new staff to boost its investigation team. you can be a profiler.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
picard said:
have you tried to apply to the FBI ? The FBI is currently hiring new staff to boost its investigation team. you can be a profiler.
i keep trying to say this, go with the government. They are expanding which I can't say about most of the country's economic growth. :)

That's where I am going. :up: I am going for the Americorps program to fill out my BA.

comic_relief

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm getting my G.E.'s out of the way and am looking at majors.

Would you guys say double-majoring in Communication and Business Marketing is a good idea? Or are either of those majors any good?

I love computer-related stuff but I couldn't handle the math courses involved with getting a computer science/engineering degree.

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha jon, you really don't know what you want... :D I so have that same problem... People expect you to know what you wanna do for the rest of your life, but there are only a few that guess correctly

DJKid

Banned
Reaction score
I really want to weigh in here as I have a Bachelors degress in Comp Info Sys and a Masters degree in Business Admin. I'm not one of these smug people that mentions this constantly and I certainly don't feel it makes me any better as a person than anyone else.

There are kernels of truths in this thread from both the degree haters and the proponents of going to college. Here's my view on college and careers from what I've seen/experienced

Experience without a doubt is the most important factor. I have superiors in my current job that never even enrolled in college let alone earned a bachelors.

A bacherlors degree does not mean you are going to automatically be making a high income. People that specialize in a trade i.g. auto mechanic probably make more on the average than someone with a college degree, I don't care if its psych, business or communications etc... If you want to make good money in a career you are probably going to have to work your way up the ladder just like everyone else, unless you are very lucky of course.

That being said I feel that going to college makes you broaden your horizons. Even though I took courses in business and computers I had to take elective classes and some of them were actually in psychology which to this day is a subject I find fascinating. I even read up about it in my spare time. So the skills you learned in college can definitely help you in a job though you'll see that most of what you learn in your career will be from the actual work experience itself.

Be proud of yourself for graduating; the fact that you were able to stick to something and finish it all the way through is a tremendous accomplishment. I think this is a big reason a lot of employers have the prerequisite of having a college degree; it shows you are dedicated and committed. There's always going to be haters and as trite as it sounds the best thing to do is ignore them. After all you are educated :)

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Credos said:
haha jon, you really don't know what you want... :D I so have that same problem... People expect you to know what you wanna do for the rest of your life, but there are only a few that guess correctly
The problem I face is I know what I enjoy doing, but I don't know what major or degree to get so I can continue doing what I enjoy. I don't know how they translate, if you know what I mean.

I also don't want to pick some major that won't take me anywhere. Call me superficial if you want, but I have plans to see high levels of income and a nice nest egg of assets.

And unless you're a genius or have a fantastic marketable idea, continuing school and obtaining at least a BA is a basic requirement in today's world.

On another note, I've heard many times lately that "climbing the corporate ladder" is becoming less necessary.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jon55 said:
And unless you're a genius or have a fantastic marketable idea, continuing school and obtaining at least a BA is a basic requirement in today's world.
They say engineering degrees are the new BA.

On another note, I've heard many times lately that "climbing the corporate ladder" is becoming less necessary.
Why is this?
Is there a paradigm shift in the workplace?

It would not suprise me as the generation entering the workforce within the last decade has a different idea about the workplace.

I think it's time for a change.

On an interesting note I recently read a paper (on Republicism in early America) that noted how to be an employee with a boss was little better than being a slave with a master.

In fact the word "boss" was basically introduced in America to replace the word "Master" (so whites could feel better about working for the man.)

This has resonated a lot with me.