Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I graduated from college sat...

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
and i need job. Its a rough life not having any money. Ive applied for a lot of jobs but havent gotten many responses. I my resume is pretty good, but i dont know what the deal is. I have a degree in psychology so have a wide range of options, but i dont know where to look to find something. Hooray for no more school!

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly man a psych undegrad degree isn't going to get you lot of lucrative jobs. Your options are pretty limited.

Have you thought about doing a masters in psych? Or a doctorate? This would widen your opportunities.

In the meantime, think about applying to counseling services like a halfway house for institutionalized people. Where have you applied?

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is almost serendipitous about my situation is that I was laid off just as the local college was finishing. That said, I am now entering the work forces when a lot of others are too, so companies should be open to hiring people with the right skill sets.

I am sorry to say it, but your specific degree won't give you much leverage in todays job market. You can likely land work outside of your field, and even make a good living. If you have another interest which was outside of your field, consider getting certified (Computer networking, actuarial science or whatever). You can go for a masters degree, but I wouldn't recommend racking up more debt to do it. Acquire skills directly applicable to the job markets!

lastly dont forget to network. this is the most important thing.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is what they didn't teach you in college and what I had to learn. It's do or die time and how you handle it determines how you make it in life. You may have to do some jobs that are out of your field or that feel is beneath you, but survival is the name of the game. You may have to become a manager at a department store, file clerk, or whatever till you decide if you want to go into practice or not. You'll just have to get out there and make something happen because posting about it is not going to help much.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
and i need job. Its a rough life not having any money. Ive applied for a lot of jobs but havent gotten many responses. I my resume is pretty good, but i dont know what the deal is. I have a degree in psychology so have a wide range of options, but i dont know where to look to find something. Hooray for no more school!
Sadly I think you might not be done yet.

The BS in psychology isn't worth that much. My Mom actually has one and it hasn't helped her at all with her career. If you like psychology and want a job in a related field, I strongly recommend getting your masters.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys havent said anything i havent heard before. It may not be worth that much, but a degree in psych gives me options because it can be applied to just about anything. A masters isnt gonna get me a high paying job, nor will a PhD. Psychology isnt a high paying field. Ive been looking at jobs in sales and a few in mental health (need experience that i dont have). So im mainly looking at sales since its something i think i could be good at and it pays well.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
first off congrats

second, first job is always the hardest

third, you graduated during a recession so hang in there. A good portion of my friends with BS's and 5+ yrs experience are on unemployment right now. I have one friend who's been applying to 10-20 companies a day for the past month and a half. If you really wanna work, have that kind of tenacity - at the same time learn how to sell yourself through your resume and develop a persona that you use at interviews

Last edited:
U

user43770

oakraiderz2 said:
So im mainly looking at sales since its something i think i could be good at and it pays well.

Good thing you spent that money on college, huh?

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try for government programs.

Jobs are being created in this era of big government under the Obama administration. So you might want to look into that.

comic_relief

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
Yep, cause the places ive applied at want people with 4 year degrees...so yea. And it was a good time...so no need to try to be a smartass.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
Yeah, that psych degree should really come in handy.
Hmmm...someone seems a little bit bitter/disgruntle/irritated that i went to college and majored in psychology...youre just another negative parasite. I dont know what your problem is, but you should fix it. My degree will and already has come in handy so, yea, you were right. If you dont mind, why dont you tell me why youre acting like a b*tch and tell me what you do...thanks cupcake. And im sure its better than your GED you got a couple of months back.

Anyways, ready123, thanks for the congrats, seein as you were the only one who didnt really have any pessimistic stuff to say. Im just ready to get my hands dirty, work and make some money. Its gonna take longer than i thought but as long as i can move and save some money for my loans ill be alright.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
lol

oakraiderz2 said:
Yep, cause the places ive applied at want people with 4 year degrees...so yea. And it was a good time...so no need to try to be a smartass.
When they say 4 year degrees, they mean 4 year degree in something "relating to the job/carrier you’re trying to get"

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spider_007 said:
When they say 4 year degrees, they mean 4 year degree in something "relating to the job/carrier you’re trying to get"
Yea, why dont you tell me how psychology isnt related sales/insurance/advertising and marketing.

I think its interesting how some of you guys are determined to say something negative about all of this. Im suprised you have nothing better to do.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2, congratulations and good luck. I'm hoping for the best for you, I could be there as well. I graduate in 2 semesters with a not so fashionable degree as well (english). The difference is that i have worked thru schooling (which is killing me i have no energy to do much else). I'll continue to stay in this s**** job till i get the degree, and hopefully find something better. I would hate to have to keep working in the same job for 6 months or more after getting the degree (which is what I hear is taking most graduates to find a job now a days)

Life is tough now a days you should just consider getting a regular part time job in the mean time in anything till you get a good job with your degree.

U

user43770

Do you have any job experience? Not sure where you live in Colorado, but state jobs are usually pretty stable and offer good benefits. Plus, state workers generally don't do sh1t all day (I know from experience). You could try getting on there in some type of clerical position.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cr1msonKing said:
When I first read the negative comments, I thought their bitter because they didn't go to college, and have some kind of inferior complex.

I'm not saying going to college and getting a degree doesn't make you a better person.

Don't let em get to you man, just keep doing your thing.

Also, I'm not sure if its a myth or what, but I hear a lot of people get jobs outside of their major/degree.

Congratulations on graduating. Its a big step in your life man, your first career job.

What are you planning on doing in the next few months once you land your job?

-Get your own place, move in with parents
-New car, new hobbies that you can afford to do etc.
Yea, i agree with you. I learned a lot of cool sh*t so its cool. A lot of people do get jobs outside of their majors. Thats one of the luxuries of a psych degree, i have a lot of options. I can understand behavior better than the majority of people and know some other tricks about a bunch of stuff, so i feel im pretty marketable. Im working on my spanish skills (took it for 2.5 years in school) so i can be beneficial for a company that lacks someone whos bilingual in sales. Ideally i would like to to multi national sales or something and utilize my spanish. But for now im just trying to get work, move to denver and hang out. I gotta pay off my loans but its a part of life that im ready for. I also want a dog which would be neat. Its cool to complete something and move on to the next aspect of your life. In a few years when im making 90k ill get a new car. As for hobbies, i want some turntables, read more, learn some languages and continue to lift and play bball. All i need is a job so i can afford all this crap. Ill have one soon though, i can feel it.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ROFL!!1

PSychology?!?! That's the major for all the useless deadbeats who just drank through college hahaha. Fvckin sad how you think that's a respectable degree to have.

Go apply for a job at McD's or something man...a psych degree hahaha give me a break. You basically graduated college with a piece of paper and no real knowledge if you majored in psych hahahahahahaha "wide variety of options" HAHAHAHAHAAHHAAA

yeah I realize I'm being a ****, but seriously you need ot stop lying to yourself. You majored in psych because it was probably the easiest major offered at your school, probably close second was some bull**** art major. Don't lie to yourself saying you were "Realy interested" in psych....give me a fvckin break dude. Well it's too late now. Only thing you can do now is get a doctorate degree or else your degree is pretty much useless.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oak, just wanna say that despite what I said, success is still VERY possible.

You are just placing too much emphasis on your poor degree choice and your worthless degree. You can still be successful, just gotta work harder than those that busted their ass in college for a decent degree.