Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I feel like I'm going to be a failure..

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you've done well, I think the educational system lied to you, or didn't give you the options you need. It's stupid for bright students to be stuck in grades and classes that they're above. If someone is ready to get out of high school at 16 or after their sophomore or junior years, have at it. I hated high school, bad teachers, dumb-a$$ elitist egotistical kids, I wasn't bright enough to graduate early.

College isn't for everyone and if someone can do well without it, more power to him. College or trade school is a way better option than smoking weed with dumb-a$$ high school dropouts playing in sh-t bars and thinking you're going to make a million playing crap rock songs. I'm also not big on assessment tests, I think people put too much into that.

The problem is -- and I don't set the rules -- that a high school diploma doesn't get you far today. I meet with dozens of people a month who just got screwed in their place of work because the boss wants a piece of paper. I'm against this, don't think it's right, but this is how the freaking game is played. If I had a dime for every 30- or 40-year old or older came into my office with this story, I'd be rich.

So it's best for Scars to nip this in the bud NOW when he doesn't have mortgages, a wife or a divorce, or alimony, or bills up the ying-yang and get some kind of training, be it college, trade school, culinary school, SOMETHING besides being a bar band musician. Scars has a chance to nip some of this in the bud ... like I said, a high school diploma today (sadly) means fast food employment.

edger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A state in America that'll unmercifully leave you
Scars, definitely keep at music, but definitely have a back-up plan at the same time too. That's what I've been doing for the last 5 yrs. I'm a vocalist and guitarist(can play bass also obviously since I play guitar). I hear ya all too well about not finding serious musicians. I would easily say 90% of them aren't serious. They are no more than weekend hobbyists. If they wanted it bad enough they'd pursue it. This is the main reason why statistically it's so low that bands will actually get anywhere and get a record deal. I've hooked up with so many musicians in the last 5 yrs only to be let down. In order for a band to work, all band members must be in the exact same mind-frame. It's a shame because I have friends who are so talented musically, but do nothing but waste it away. It bothers the sh*t out of me. These guys can be going so far in life, but choose not. Whatever though, what can I say.

Don't ever let anyone tell you "you have to stop at a certain point". Never stop! It's never too late. As long as you retain a good image and don't let yourself go, and don't look too old, you'll be fine as far as getting label interest is concerned. Keep at it, but also like I said, it's important to have that back-up job while you do it. Because nothing is guaranteed, especially in this industry. Even when you do find the right band members, many times there are feuds among each other, i.e.- this one wants to do this, that, sound this way, doesn't like this riff, that riff, thinks this guys an a**hole, etc. etc. So many band members get the boot and so many bands break up because of sh*t like this. It's not only hard to find dedicated people, but also, it's hard to find people who don't bring drama to the band as well. I'm currently going solo at the moment, I can't wait around for people anymore. If a band comes along the way that I like, I'll jump on it, but for now I'm doing my own sh*t. Will throw up a MySpace page soon and start the networking process to expose myself. That's all I can really do at this stage of the game. I do "Black Metal", so it's a little harder to find people, at least here in the states. Europe is a whole other story though when it comes to Black Metal, as it's much easier to find people who wanna do this kind of stuff.

Good luck. Never give up! Rock on! \m/

Cableguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey scars, have you ever thought about pursuing a degree in music?

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scars said:
If you look at my profile you will find I'm only 17 (soon to be 18..) but I am looking for some wise advice from some older men.. that's why I'm posting this here.

Anyway, I am in my Senior year of HS and throughout it all I have slacked off completely. I am actually half a credit behind, in order for me to graduate I'm going to have to take atleast one online course. I am just barely scraping by. I have not taken any foreign language courses so I am very unlikely college/university bound. For these past 4 years I have been obsessed with the idea of becoming a rockstar. I have been playing bass sense I was little, I am very good from what people tell me and I have talent, but anytime I get a band going it becomes a failure.. I really don't feel like I'm getting anywhere in life. My friend (who is also the guitarist in my "band") wants to go to music school up in Hollywood which would help us out a lot, and maybe even find more/better musicians.. but I do not come from a very wealthy family. This school is just like the cost for a university, and I don't think they give loans to these kind of schools.. even if they did. There's no guarantee I could even make a living afterwards. My mom has been pushing me to go to graphics art school, which is what I wanted to do for awhile, but I don't think I can make it because of my grades.. and to be honest, I really don't feel like that is what I want to do with the rest of my life. So not am I in my last year of HS and have no idea what I'm going to do.. I'm so far deep in a hole that even if I choose to do something it would be impossible to get there. I just feel really hopeless right now.

Is there anyone who was ever in my situation and got out of it and is now successful? Or anyone have any advice, something to cheer me up?
Get professional help.

I am dead serious.

You'll thank yourself for the time you'll save by doing this. Trust me.