Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I feel like I'm going to be a failure..

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you look at my profile you will find I'm only 17 (soon to be 18..) but I am looking for some wise advice from some older men.. that's why I'm posting this here.

Anyway, I am in my Senior year of HS and throughout it all I have slacked off completely. I am actually half a credit behind, in order for me to graduate I'm going to have to take atleast one online course. I am just barely scraping by. I have not taken any foreign language courses so I am very unlikely college/university bound. For these past 4 years I have been obsessed with the idea of becoming a rockstar. I have been playing bass sense I was little, I am very good from what people tell me and I have talent, but anytime I get a band going it becomes a failure.. I really don't feel like I'm getting anywhere in life. My friend (who is also the guitarist in my "band") wants to go to music school up in Hollywood which would help us out a lot, and maybe even find more/better musicians.. but I do not come from a very wealthy family. This school is just like the cost for a university, and I don't think they give loans to these kind of schools.. even if they did. There's no guarantee I could even make a living afterwards. My mom has been pushing me to go to graphics art school, which is what I wanted to do for awhile, but I don't think I can make it because of my grades.. and to be honest, I really don't feel like that is what I want to do with the rest of my life. So not am I in my last year of HS and have no idea what I'm going to do.. I'm so far deep in a hole that even if I choose to do something it would be impossible to get there. I just feel really hopeless right now.

Is there anyone who was ever in my situation and got out of it and is now successful? Or anyone have any advice, something to cheer me up?

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
heres some advice that your dad shoudl be giving you - stop being a f*cking prissy little princess.

you ever see those hot chics who have no brains and expect everythign to be handed to them on a silver platter in life? your the male equivalent of that - except you prefer to use the term 'slacker'.

now if you were some hot babe who could get by in life by wh*ring herself out to rich guys i'd say no problem, be a slacker. but in this world, a man has to earn his living. and the best way to make a good living is to get a decent career.

playing music is a HOBBY. its something you do in your spare time - AFTER you've taken care of business (ie. school).

pick a career and then go out and get it. pull your grades up. get into a decent university. get a degree. and then get a decent job.

all the while you can play music as your hobby. and if it works out, great. but if it doesn't, at least youll have a career to fall back on.

your 17, so all you want to do is be artistic and sh*t. but trust me, by the time your 30 you are going to be wishing you hadn't wasted your school years and had a career to fall back on.

now, if you aren't going to listen to the advice above, then i suggest the following. take one year off of school to make the rock star dream come true. if you can't get it off the ground in a year, then its OVER. you suck it up and start treating school seriously.

im not trying to be hard on you for the fun of it, im being hard on you becuase i wish someone explained to me how the world worked when i was 17.

you know why your grades suck? because you arent putting in the effort. you don't care. start f*cking caring. even if you don't understand why you should care - listen to us older guys - i doubt you will find a single one of us who will tell you that school is bullsh*t and that it really doesn't matter that much.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I'm of the belief that you have to try and follow your dreams or face a lifetime of regret for never having done so.

Your heart isn't in graphic arts anymore its in music.

Thats what you need to persue.

Finish school first though of course and do the year idea that joekerr said.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I was in a similar situation. My advice is to just do what you need to do to graduate, take the online course, and go to college. That's what I did and I'm in my 2nd year of college now even though I'm a year behind. I just moved into a quad with 3 other people and it's not bad at all.

Just try to get in anywhere you can. You can still pursue your dreams while in college and you'll meet more people who are musicians and etc. Plus you will find something you're interested in eventually, you've still got a couple of years to decide what you want to do.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Life is not a competition, it's ok to take time out from school if your heart is not in it. If you want to go far career-wise, there's a good chance that your grades in college are going to matter. If you enroll in school and make bad grades, that's worse than not enrolling at all.

I said that life is not a competiton, but at least within any particular field there is obviously a lot of competition for the best jobs. In order to be focused and do well, it helps a lot to be doing something you love.

If you want to be in college and you are ready to commit to it, just go to community college and take general ed courses. It's cheap. Maybe you'll want a music degree someday.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Music business is a fvking B*tch. People will fightyou to try to make you fail. Most people will NOT help you.
You will get cybnical and learn not to trust easily, especially those who are willing to "help " you.
You will have hangers on, losers, moochers, users and abusers want to get mext to you.
You will have ego fluffers, who will try to be your friend and try to ride onyou if you make it.
You will be surrounderd by drugs. You must have tremendous will power to get away from all those people, eventually meet and associate with healthy, talented, and intelligent musical people, who need this as BAD as you do.
If not, you're toast.
You MUST love the idea of being away from hom for months.
And living in a van, and/heap hotels, 5 to a room.
You must love the idea of eating Doritos and water, since you will rarely make enough to live an eat least in the beginning.
You must learn how to repair your instrument and equipment.
Your bandmates may disagree with how to split money.
Who owns the PA?
But I own the VAN11
But I bought you the guitar!
Yeah, but that's my Amplifier!
I wrote this song!
Bt I wrote the bassline!
We split everythign equally!
I'm "managing" the band, so I get the bigger cut!
That's my chick!
I met her first!
You smell, wash your feet!
I'll just take my Sh*t and go home then! Fvck you!
Where's the singer??!
Wh did they cancel us?
I thought we were going on last?
You said it was 150 bucks, NOT fifty!!

You must not only be a talented songwriter, you must also know powerful people who are able to pull strings FOR YOU.
You must LOVE the music "business" and MUST NEED to perform.
You myust NEED to be a "rock star".
You can just "want".

YOU HAVE TO NEEED IT.

If you don't NEED it, it ain't gonna happen.
You must LOVE to write music.
You must LOVE to practice your instrument (ifyou really want to excel at it).
You need to not even flinch if you realize you may need to practice for 10 hours a day.
you must love the idea of touring.
You must NEED to perform in front of people.
You cannot be "shy".
You must be always ready to play a show at a moment's notice.
You must always enjoy what you're doing, even if you have the Flu.
You must be able to perform even if you're sick.
You must accept that you aill get homesick.
Your will will be challenged, to the point where you'll just walk out and leave the gig.
You must get used to the idea that your drummer or singer will walk at a moment's notice if he gets offered a better deal.
You must get used to the idea that when money is involved, there NO "friends".
You will see your best friend's "dark side" on the road. To the point where either you or he will leave the band.

Advice.......

Go to school, and do the "music thing" on the side.
Get your degree.
And study music in your free time.
And you'll have to do both while at the same time holding down a job.

Understand????

DEGREE/ School!!!!!!!!!!!

MUSIC on the SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOB TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three things.
No exceptions.
None.

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interceptor: Very nice summary. I understand all those things. I've pretty much considered and realized all of those things mentioned.. and the sad thing is I've already started experiencing a lot of them.. even though I've never even been on a real "tour" before. Like seeing my friends change.. drugs and alcohol and girls right in my face.. that's one of the reasons I feel into this whole. It seemed so appealing, I used to get smashed everyday I used to get high all the time.. and my band mates do it too. I feel like we started out with good intentions.. it was about making music to change the world.. now all we talk about is all the drugs and ***** were gonna get.. it's just stupid, and I realize it now. I just wish I realized it sooner and hadn't wasted all these years doing nothing in HS. I think it's time to look into a more realistic career.. maybe I will get into graphic arts idk. I just want to be sucessfull at something..

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Delusion

OK, I have no problem of a guy wanting to do music, but this is nuts:

it was about making music to change the world.

Sorry, Mozart, Miles Davis, The Beatles, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, soul music, etc., beat you to it. Some high school dropout and his drugged up friends have nothing to add to the world, and no lyrics to write that haven't been written. Get that delusion out of your head right now. Kurt Cobain said the same thing, he's dead.

Listen to the above list: music on the side, school and/or career first. My brother is a kick-a$$ guitar player, he chased the music thing for a long time ... thought his lyrics were going to change things. Nope, didn't happen. Bar band at best ... had grades to go to Harvard, barely got a general studies degree at a middling state university. Why? Music -- and women and drugs, blah, blah, blah.

Nope, you're most likely an average musician who might love music and might want to play it. Your lyrics weren't going to say anything that hasn't been said ... and not one group out there in today's wretched music industry is changing the world. John Mayer's so-called insightful lyrics are retreads ... yawn.

You're an unrealistic idealist. Play your music and enjoy it, but look at the big picture as in you're probably not going anywhere with it.

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me tell you something, do you expect everything to be given to you on a silver platter? if you want change in your life, do something about it and change your situation. THINK. It's all you need to do.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WestCoaster said:
Sorry, Mozart, Miles Davis, The Beatles, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, soul music, etc., beat you to it.

You're an unrealistic idealist. Play your music and enjoy it, but look at the big picture as in you're probably not going anywhere with it.
i was going to make a similar comment but didn't bother. but this is bang on the money.

200 years ago the world was a smaller place. moreover peopel with talent were rare. heck, people with talent who actually got to use it were even rarer. there were probably 100 mozarts around back then, but only mozart was lucky enough to ever touch a piano. the other 99 ended up in the army, farmers, etc.

moreover talent was geographic. if you were talented you were famous in your little area of the world and peopel had to come hear you play (no mp3s)

today its a business - streamlined for efficiency. there are literally hundreds of thousands of wanna be hopefuls. of those perhaps 1% actually get a shot. about 1% of that 1% actually are successful for longer than 15 minutes.
which means about 99% of the folks who attempt to get in to it end up with nothing but broken dreams.

the entertainment industry is the biggest meat grinder out there. no other industry is as cut throat, ruthless, and corrupt as it is. its mantra is simple - pick just a few of the finest grapes to be 'stars' and toss the rest in the garbage.

unless you have something truly unique to offer - like cobain did, or trent reznor, etc. - and even then you have to be prepared to do a good 10 years in the indie scene - view music as your hobby, not your profession.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
If that's your dream, man, roll the dice. You only live once.

Just have a back-up plan. A GOOD one. Don't ditch school. For one thing, you dont' have to...you can take a slack-ass major in college just to get a degree and spend your time playing music. Any bachelor's degree will get you a back-up job somewhere.

Sometimes getting BETTER grades will give you MORE free time. I got a lot of AP credits in High School...by my senior year of college I had classes only on Tuesday and Thursday and was still "full-time". That's plenty of free time to pursue music or whatever.

AlphaSoldier

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scars said:
I really don't feel like I'm getting anywhere in life.
You need some direction in life. And there's a place that can give it to you: the ARMY. For sure, you could be packed and sent to Iraq, but I'd say that this is what you really need now: a drill-instructor yelling at you and kicking you in the ass.

AlphaSoldier

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After reading your initial post I feel like I'm typing this response back to my 19 y.o. self because I WAS you 20 years ago. So please bear with me by reading this carefully.

In 1987, at 19, I wanted nothing more for my life than to be in a band. I'd actually learned this from the time I was 14 when I discovered that just by saying I was in a band and had long hair girls would be more interested in me. I muddled my way through a big inner-city high school in L.A. as a C student just doing what was necessary to get passable grades since this was a hinderance to what I wanted to do - be in a band. Notice I didn't say "be a musician"; the music had to be good and rock hard of course, but it was the status and social proof that came from being a band member and the effect this had on girls that really prompted the desire.

I didn't know how to play a guitar and I literally stole my first guitar. I HAD to learn how to play it. I'd always been a very creative kid, I acted in drama, and I could write well, but my true, natural, God-given gift was my ability to draw and paint. I loved guitar as well, but it never came to me naturally, I had to want to do it and to this day I still study and practice it because I want to be good at it.

By the time I'd graduated, I'd had my first real GF and my first ugly AFC break up. I had no direction to my life and my very passive aggressive, and masculinity-deficient AFC father had never had the interest to guide me or prepare me as an adult. He too was more interested in securing his supply of pvssy than be a father, but in all honsety his father before him was whipped too. So I went and did what any metal-head kid in the late 80's would do, I joined a band.

I worked at a music store in L.A., not because I was trying to live the dream, but because I had to have a job and go to community college to live rent free with my dad and his 2nd wife. I met up with a LOT of musicians, but back then you didn't have to be a good guitarist, you had to be a guitar god (which I wasn't), so I joined a band and played bass. I stole a bass and I "borrowed' long term a good amp and some other equipment to play. To my surprise the bands I played in became very popular in the Hollywood metal scene, but I certainly wasn't playing for the money - because there was none. In fact we payed TO play more than we actually made money. No, it was the top shelf ass I was pulling every time I played that kept me going at it. I loved the scene. The music was great, but it was a new adventure every weekend we played. I bought a motorcycle and would literally roll up to gigs with my bass in a gig bag slung over my back.

I lived the (minor) Hollywood rock star fantasy for about 4 years, I got good enough at guitar to play as a studio musician and do session work. I played on TV as a hired guitarist for up and coming solo acts. I played in about 4 original projects, 2 of which were openers for national acts. My hair was blonde, down to my ass and I was rail thin (I did start bodybuilding at this time though). All of this was going on and I was getting into networking with L.A. producers, just looking for an opening to get on with a national act, until I met her,...

I didn't meet Lucifer's daughter at a gig, I met her in the community college bookstore. I still had my education to 'entertain' in order to get a free ride at home and I met her buying books for a semester. She was a 'good' girl, but hot as hell. I had to work for her. I took her out on real "dates" rather than banging her the night I met a girl in a club as I was used to. Nothing prepared me for the living hell of an LTR I had with her. Once I'd locked into a monogamous relationship with her the party was over. The band I was in disintigrated and she was so insanely jealous of my previous FBs that I didn't even consider looking for another band to join. I was a prisoner of hers. She went off to a university and I played the good sacrificial savior. My life was ruined because of this woman.

After a 4.5 year living hell of an LTR I was a shadow of what I was previously. She had a degree and was moving on, I had sh!t. At 26 I was ruined. After this I decided it was time to grow the ƒuck up and do what I needed to do, but I was starting over with absolutely nothing. I started using my real talents, I got into graphic design and became a successful art director for some big companies and only later, at 32 did I go to get my BFA and Psych degree. My wife and daughter had to pay the price for my lack of foresight and earlier decisions.

I did well for myself once I'd made that cross over to real adulthood. There was no SoSuave then and no men I knew who could open my eyes to anything. I had to come to terms with the direction I'd let my life go. I still play guitar and I've been in 3 bands since then, but I play now because I love to play, not becasue I get payed or laid. I use my real, natural gifts to pay the mortgage. I write, I've played the lead role in MacBeth in theatre, I draw and use my talents everyday in my work, I do video and web work, I've done peer counseling, I lift weights and I've been a B class competitive fencer all in this time.

You have to live your life SCARS, life is a process of doing. I can sit here and type and everyone else can too, but it's ultimately you who's going to do what you will. You'll still probably get into the scene no matter what us mature men will tell you. I WAS you. My advice is to grow yourself up now rather than later. You can be independent, you can live on your own, but ask yourself what are your real gifts and talents? How can you best enhance them? College? You CAN go to college if you want. The thing I lacked at 19 was this insight and the courage to act on it. I wanted pvssy and I got it, but I was unprepared to deal with being an AFC in the long term. I had to kill the old Rollo Tomassi after my hell relationship. He needed killing.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great life story, thanks for sharing Rollo. Very insightful. I had say less than 1 percent of people in this world take action to change their lives for the better like you did. Hopefully this board and site can spark change. The newbie rock star wannabe has a chance to change at a young age.

He doesn't necessarily have to bag the music, but he needs to have some options.

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Rollo, I read that whole thing and it was a very insightful read. I think I'm going to get a degree, so I atleast have something to fall back on. Then I might try and shoot for my musical dream for a year or two, because if I don't atleast try I will regret it my whole life.. but if/when I get tired of a stinky bus full of dudes atleast I will have something to fall back on. But wow, you sound so much like me it's rediculous. :/

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My story is the opposite actually. To make a long story short, I went to college right after high school and was focused on business and computers. I wanted the life my parents had, a happy marriage, house, kids, white picket fence, etc. So, I graduated and did well in IT jobs, bought a house, car, etc..but still unable to find the right woman. I was AFC to the max, my happiness was living to what would make a woman interested in choosing me for marriage. I was your "nice guy" that finished last. I had several relationships, but got burned badly by them. My confidence was horrible.

At age 27 I had a huge wake-up call. I had achieved everything I thought I had wanted (exept women). I then slowly started realizing I was doing all those things for female praise. I hated computers and working in an office.

Since then, I tossed aside what society and family expected of me, and just started doing my own thing. I've had several career changes over the past several years, travel, exciting hobbies, etc. My life has been one big exciting adventure.

I get complimented quite a bit, people have told me that I was inspiring to them because... "I was the guy that decided that he wanted to do something, and then just f*cking went out and did it."

My advise is this...

Go for what you want in life. Finding out what you truely want is the tough part.

That being said, get your degree first! Getting that degree has opened so many doors for me in my life, I owe everything to that. The fact that right after high school, I got my degree.

Get your degree, get it done now while you are young. Enjoy your "college days".

Once you have that, you can do anything you want to. You will be free.

But...get the education first, because life changes you, and what you want not may not be what you want in 5 or 10 years.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*sigh*

Rollo, I wish I could talk to myself when I was 16, or 15. :(

My mother worked nights, my father lived 2200 miles away, so I came home to an empty house after school since I was 13. Perhaps that was my only savior: chores. I had to be responsible because I had a barn full animals depending on me. I cooked meals for myself, did my own laundry, and essentially lived on my own - just without the bills. I got a couple high school jobs, but nothing with much "career" potential.

As for school, well, I got royally screwed. I was in advanced placement courses 2 years ahead of my grade in sciences and mathematics. I was taking Freshman Algebra in 7th grade... then my mother moved and I started at another school. This new school didn't have advanced placement because there were only 23 kids in my class! At parent/teacher conference time, teachers would explain to my mother that I just stare out the window or sleep through the classes. Well, duh! The sh¡t was seriously boring the hell out of me! Essentially, I coasted through school.

You know... you just don't know things until you know. To entertain myself, I took extra Science electives, extra Math electives, Spanish, Home Economics, Accounting, and loaded my electives to the max. I didn't have a study hall my freshman or sophmore years! Anyway, halfway through my Senior year, the newest (there was a new one every year) guidance counsellor called me in her office and pointed out to me that I had enough credits to have had graduated halfway through my Junior year... but that it was too late because I hadn't taken Senior required courses ahead of time.

Uh, so, I could have graduated after 2 1/2 years of High School? Thanks for telling me NOW! I lost my appetite for school.

Well, to make matters worse, my brother commited suicide and my best friend died in a car accident. My "LTR" and I broke up, and she got knocked up by her next guy. Needless to say, I was an emotional wreck. And, it's not a good time to not have a father around during so much trauma, and during formulative years. As you could probably guess, I was a "troubled teen". I was into all sorts of nasty sh¡t, and I got into some trouble with the law.

Then the recruiter showed up at my school.
AlphaSoldier said:
You need some direction in life. And there's a place that can give it to you: the ARMY. For sure, you could be packed and sent to Iraq, but I'd say that this is what you really need now: a drill-instructor yelling at you and kicking you in the ass.

AlphaSoldier
Now, I'm no dummy. I could see right through the recruiter's hype. In fact, I told the guy, "Save the pitch, sir, I want to know (x, y, z)."

After a brief look at my situation, and the rest of the facts surrounding my life, I figured I might as well be self-destructive in a reconstructive way.

I joined the Army.

I'll never forget sitting down in front of the Major at in-processing.

Major: "So, what do you want to be?"
V: :confused: *catatonic, a million miles away in thought, confused, for an awkward amount of time*

(Noone had asked me, or, I had never seriously given it any actual thought. Sure, I had, I was pretty determined to be a mechanical engineer... but that wasn't what he was asking. The way he asked, the tone sounded like "tell me now, you MUST decide". I had no idea what was going on: I was in shock. I was being held accountable for making a concrete decision about my future. :nervous:)

Major: "Vulpine?"
V: "Uh... sir?"
Major: "What do you want to do?"

(Nope, I still wasn't getting it. In fact, he confused me even more. What do you want to be and what do you want to do are two different things, and in the context, I didn't really have an answer for either.)

V: "Um...

...sir, I'm afraid I don't know exactly what you are asking."

Major: *chuckles* "OoooH... here I was thinking... nevermind. Ok, here's the deal: you scored so high on the ASVAB tests that you can be anything you want to be."

V: "Anything?"
Major: "For your job in the Army, anything except one."

(Now it made sense, I had to do something specific in the Army... thanks for explaining that recruiter dude!)

V: "Which one is that?"
Major: "Army intelligence."
V: "Hmm... I guess I should have actually tried on those tests, huh?"
Major: *laughs*
V: "Ok, well, I get it. I know this is going to sound like a pain-in-the-ass question, but I'd like you to help me decide. What CAN I be?
Major: *spins computer monitor around and starts scrolling "job listings"*
V: "Ooh! What's this?" *point*
Major: "Twenty-Five Quebec: Graphic Documentation Specialist..."
V: "Is there a description?"
Major: "Wartime equivalent: attached to headquarters; works with recon/recons in order to create detailed maps; scout, cartographer. Peacetime equivalent: (graphic design, charts/overlays, duplication, pencil & ink drawing, painting, freehand lettering, presentation assistant, etc.)
V: "Hmm... sounds cool. What else?"
(scroll, scroll, scroll)

V: "I think I'm going to do the 25Q thing."

From there, I took a language aptitude battery of tests (DLAB) - smoked it. Cool, I could be a linguist and stuff, too!

So, I did the "25Q thing". I applied myself and graduated with honors (98% course average), for having doing so, my unit nominated me to recieve the Army Acievement medal - which I did receive. Later, I cross-trained with others in the unit as an eighty-eight papa (88P): railway equipment repairman. I smoked the course. On the final exam, they had to throw out several questions because we didn't have the study materials to go from. I got those questions they threw out correct. I graduated with a 103% course average, and received another AAM. I later went on to become an instructor for the 88P course.

Now, the time I was in was during HEAVY downsizing. I had two MOS's, was teaching sergeants, lieutenants, and captains. SO, I automatically qualified for NCO (corporal, sergeant, E5+). In addition, I religiously qualified 40/40 with the M16, qualified expert on the M203 and the M60, and always passed my physical fitness tests with better than average scores.

In a nutshell, I was "locked-and-****ed" as they say. My boots were the shiniest in my platoon, my uniform the sharpest, my brass was the shiniest. I had a lot of pride. I jumped up to E-4, specialist, within my first two years or service. I was going places and excelling at soldiering. I was frequently elected for extra duties such as honor guard, parades, funerals, and other mission-oriented tasks that required "excellent skills" (can't get long-winded).

But, I was stuck at E-4 for the next 6 years because of the down-sizing.
There were just so many positions available with just so many units, so I didn't have many options...

Now, for the civilian types that don't understand the lingo, let me break it down: I had a job at which I hit a glass ceiling after two years, then, wasn't promoted or have any raises for the next 6, regardless of my superior performance in my area of expertise. Since I was under contract, I couldn't just say, "Screw you guys, I'm going to get another job." I was neglected as an employee. Training and schooling wasn't available to me because of a lack of funds, so I was completely dead-ended. If I could be better, I would have explored those avenues.

The point of all this?

I never had a father around. The interaction with Major at the in-processing station was the single most "fatherly" experience I had ever had. The next? My Drill Sergeant teaching a group of us how to shave.

I would certainly recommend the service, mainly the Marines or Army, to any "fatherless" youth. You WILL learn how to be a man. Of course, I would recommend a job/MOS that only carried a 2 year contract though. Mine was for 8: they weren't going to put a guy through a year of training for only a year of service afterwards.

I say "learn to be a man", but what I mean is learn to be self-reliant/self-sufficient, self-motivated, and accountable/responsible. Of course, for matters of emotion/priority/thought process, you'll still have to still undo the damage to your manhood that your mother has done. But, since you've found SoSuave, you're well on your way.

So what about now?
Got out of Army>started going to school>got a job using graphics training to support myself through school>found out from a long-time mechanical engineer that the market was flooded and the job was starting at $10 an hour for new graduates>I got screwed at school again>figured "this is stupid, I'm making $15.50 already... I can't trust that a mechanical engineer will EVER pay better, not with corporate money machines the way the are, no sense in bothering with metallurgy/physics/trig/chem/calc>punted the school concept and focused on graphics career>kept "railway equipment repairman/engineer" as a plan B>focused on quality of life and future>stopped exposing my self/leaving myself vulnerable to screwings over.

I kick myself, now, because I found there were other options presented to me while I was in the Army. At 25, I had 8 years. I could have retired after 20 years and collected checks from the government: 12 more years? That would have meant I'd be retired at 32! Right now!

:cry:

Screwed again.

It's no small wonder I have adopted an attitude of "there's more to life than your career". It's not because I have a "victim mentality", no, I have a mentality of "some things are genuinely worth your attention moreso than others: must have your priorties".

I screwed myself by not having my priorities straight from the start. The Major ALMOST got me there when he asked "What do you want to BE."

What I want to be has nothing to do with what I want to do.

Last edited:

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
I screwed myself by not having my priorities straight from the start. The Major ALMOST got me there when he asked "What do you want to BE."

What I want to be has nothing to do with what I want to do.
I left the crucial part out. I'm hoping you'd arrive at it on your own Scar, but in case you don't:

Focus on the future. Make goals.

So long as you are making progress towards goals, YOUR goals, you will not be failing.

School, fancy cars, bling-bling, b¡tches... those are goals, sure, but are they YOUR goals? Will those things make YOU happy?

Be very weary of those offering you "guidance". Are they projecting what THEY want for you, or are they interested in what YOU want?

Prioritize YOUR future.

I joined the Army "reactively". I had to get out. I had to break from the mess I was in, and would be in if I stuck around.

Be proactive in making decisions based on future outcome. Don't be reactive in making decisions based on current situations. That is, don't make the mistake of living a life of "getting by". Instead, live a life of "I'm getting there".

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post Vulpine. Interesting here:

As for school, well, I got royally screwed. I was in advanced placement courses 2 years ahead of my grade in sciences and mathematics. I was taking Freshman Algebra in 7th grade... then my mother moved and I started at another school. This new school didn't have advanced placement because there were only 23 kids in my class! At parent/teacher conference time, teachers would explain to my mother that I just stare out the window or sleep through the classes. Well, duh! The sh¡t was seriously boring the hell out of me! Essentially, I coasted through school.

Time or Newsweeek this week has how our schools fail bright students. Sounds like you were the poster child for this, could've graduated early from high school and college and not d-cked around with the army. (I'm not anti-military, just a take there ... I don't need Sgt. Jockstrap screaming at me here.)

Someone also should've steered you clear from thinking $15.50 an hour was a lot of coin and mechanical engineers don't do well. Everyone I know is closing in or is already at six figures, and that's two years into the profession. That profession is cash central.

There's goals and realistic goals. Anytime someone says they want to be:

1. A professional musician
2. An actor
3. A pro athlete

I pause a little. I wanted to be a college basketball player as late as my junior year in high school (I was still on the JV team at that time, 5-foot-10 and no hops). I was delusional. Finally after sitting on the bench all varsity season on a bad team in a bad league playing in a state with no hoop talent, I woke up.

Goals and dreams have to be realistic. Instead of the just "go for it" mantra, you have to understand what you're going for. There are GREAT guitar players out there who will never make it. There are GREAT actors stuck in community theatre. I know many college and some pro athletes: 1 percent of college athletes make the pros. Know the odds, and know your talent.

Your best bet is to get some kind of training, be it in college or a trade school. Most employers don't respect high school diplomas that much ... not saying that's right, just saying that's how they think. You're not going to change them, so know the system. If you stop after two years of community college, that's fine. Just get some training or education of some sort. No one hires high school diploma anymore except fast food.

Music should be a side-light, not a highlight.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WestCoaster said:
Someone also should've steered you clear from thinking $15.50 an hour was a lot of coin and mechanical engineers don't do well. Everyone I know is closing in or is already at six figures, and that's two years into the profession. That profession is cash central.
You're right, to an extent. You aren't up on all the details.

And, $15.50, at that time ten years ago.

College steered me wrong in addition to/as a result of my High School screwing. I took placement exams and was misplaced. Without getting long winded, I was set back a year for one "simple" math function that a previous instructor arbitrarily skipped over. More books, more tuition, $$$$ outlay for stupid sh¡t. The jerking around, coupled with my "father" (the mechanical engineer) giving me tainted/skewed/jaded/bad advice, led me to throw up my hands at school: it was proving to be a money pit type investment without much potential for return, AT THE TIME. The market may very well be different NOW, but I could've seriously destroyed myself if I continued on that course THEN.

WestCoaster, we've been round-and-round about it. I'm not anti-school, I'm pro-choice. I'm pro-options. If anything, WestCoaster, you should give me some props for not defining myself by my career and rolling with punches. I don't care to ramble on and on about hard knocks, but I did in fact "get schooled".

Not long after I threw up my hands at school, I started my own business. I nearly went back to major in Japanese when I had my business, as it would have been a business investment. But, again, life gets in the way sometimes, and that course proved futile as well. :shrug:

It's a good thing I had options. I had plan B, and plan C, D, and E. Not to mention, a whole bunch of insight into F, G, and H. Worse came to worse, I'd have to do something else to get me where I wanted to be.

And there is the key: "where I wanted to be". I crash and burned countless times before I had anywhere else to be besides "rock bottom".

Misdirection has been my Achille's heel.

Most importantly, "failure" means not measuring up to expectations. Scars' expectations have to be his own, not someone elses. So, to say "Scars will be a failure if XYZ" or "Scars needs to be a failure if he doesn't blah blah blah" lays down YOUR measures of success on HIM. Whereas, Scars will have a happier life if his measure of success is his own. Which is why I advocate setting goals. Once Scars has a "Point B" he can figure out how to get there from "Point A".

Last edited: