Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

hurt bicep - any suggestions

twelveightyone

Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently hurt my bicep. I think by going too heavy. It's just really sore and feels like I overstretched it.

Yesterday I did back and dealt with the pain.

I'm thinking that might not be best for recovery? Looking for suggestions on how to deal with it and still be able to make forward progress.

Grounded eagle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you hurt it were you resuming workouts after a long layoff or you hurt it while active?

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does the pain spread into your shoulder or into your elbow?

Grounded eagle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hurt it while I was active. I think I pushed myself too hard one day -- too many bicep exercises or weight.
I’d take some time off from all forms of workouts.Apply ice to the affected area.Increase protein intake to heal.

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently hurt my bicep. I think by going too heavy. It's just really sore and feels like I overstretched it.

I'm thinking that might not be best for recovery? Looking for suggestions on how to deal with it and still be able to make forward progress.
I do not know how old you are but from experience, I can tell you that:

1) The older you get the faster you stop as soon as you feel something is off. This is purely maturity to prevent the injury from aggravating and..
2) The more severe the tear in the muscle is the longer it takes to recover and therefore the longer you will have to wait to get back to what you enjoy doing (work out, sports, etc).

So my first advice is:

Stop whatever activity aggravates the pain. Rest is critical in the first stages of muscle injury.
You will want to lessen or stop any inflammation. Icing is the most and natural way to do that. Elevating is another.
Depending on the severity of the injury it may take 2 to 6 weeks to fully recover. During this time you will want to figure out what causes it in the first place, sometimes is simply overuse but sometimes is the muscle compensates for other weak muscles. Strengthen those muscles. COrrect any mechanical (skeletal movements) that might be throwing you off balance.
Focus on light workouts after recovery and more importantly preventive exercises. Or it will happen again.

Hope this helps.

Modern Man Advice

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Unless you want it to get worse, you will need to rest it and train around it. Do nothing that aggregates it in any way. If that means you have to do extra leg days then do extra leg days... most people could benefit from that anyway.

Willie Naylor

Banned
Reaction score

Go get a massage of the area. It'll increase blood flow around it, and help with the pain, since endorphins are released during the massage.

Other than that, just time. And take a Motrin as needed for the pain. CBD cream is also very good for recovery.

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yes.. a bit into the elbow
Then take it slow for now. If the pain spreads to the joints your tendons are inflamed or your muscle is really tight from being overworked.
I‘ve once overdone bicepstraining, too and I couldn‘t even hold my arms straight anymore because the biceps literally pulled back from being to tight. I was good after one week.
But I also experienced biceps and elbow tendonitis, that feels completely different.
If it doesn‘t get better after a week, you should let it check by a doc before you workout again and make it worse.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I jacked up my arm particularly my bicep supinating while on rings. I'm more cautious and mindful now. There's overload principle and going full retard. Listen to your body. Anytime you bang with rotation on the transverse /horizontal plane, the risk of injury goes up. I'm also getting older so not ****ing my joints up is key. I want to maintain as I approach 35. No catastrophic injuries or surgeries. Listen to your body.

Rest it. Get a physical. Do a ultrasound and check for any partial tears or injuries to the biceps or tendon. Shield yourself from injury and warm up. Dynamic stretching and band work is great. Do active recovery. Rest it. Ice it. Do contrast baths between hot to cold. Use ice packs and heating pads. Avoid said injury by refraining from that exercise. I'm ultra mindful of deadlifts, Flys, squats, unilateral or kurtsy lunges. Anything that is high risk for injury. Form > weight

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm also getting older so not ****ing my joints up is key.
I'm ultra mindful of deadlifts, Flys, squats, unilateral or kurtsy lunges. Anything that is high risk for injury. Form > weight
True that. I'm using a belt, and wraps for knees and wrists. Switched to sumo deadlifts from conventional. Noticed a reduction in intra/post exercise lower back pain.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True that. I'm using a belt, and wraps for knees and wrists. Switched to sumo deadlifts from conventional. Noticed a reduction in intra/post exercise lower back pain.
I would pyramid up and down stacking plates. If I am not feeling it, any off put or lower back discomfort I won't bother. Decipher between lazy vs high probability of getting wrecked. Be warned. If you use these tools it adds safety but it doesn't increase natural stability. Mix both. Unless you really need it I got those addi pro squat shoes. Bands, I do cryotherapy, sensory deprivation float tanks, Epsom salt baths, massages, active recovery. 4 day split is key. When I was younger I did 6day split. More recovery now. 8 hour sleep.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you use these tools it adds safety but it doesn't increase natural stability.
They do compromise core strength. I do weighted toe raises to work the core offset that. I also do a 4 day split. Gives me rest days after the more taxing days I do squats and deadlifts.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They do compromise core strength. I do weighted toe raises to work the core offset that. I also do a 4 day split. Gives me rest days after the more taxing days I do squats and deadlifts.
As I got older I want more recovery time and sleep. I am not banging with drugs or drinking. I'm not ****in my sleep schedule up. I'm even Taking a week off from training and utilizing recovery. Could add in yoga or something else. I would love to learn bjj but no chances I am risking my joints.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a great time to shred that fat.

Get some cardio sessions in.

Focus on lower body lifts.

Let the bicep heal, don't mess with for a month.

You won't lose all your gains, muscle that has already been created, might lose some size but it's for life.

balder

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is similar to my situation. I started with pain in my right shoulder, radiating down my biceps, especially where the tendons attached to my shoulder and elbow. Hurt so bad that I couldn't raise my arm over my head. I iced it, heated it, took ibuprofen and never got much relief. Always the worst in the morning. Physicians suspected a torn rotator cuff even though I coundnt remember doing anything to cause an injury. X-rays and MRI showed some inflammation of tendons and bursa.

I began physical therapy which really didn't help much either. Then my left shoulder began to hurt, not quite as badly, but in the same places. Then my groin where the thigh muscle tendons attached and the back of my knees, too.

My dr ran blood test to eliminate Lupus and RA. He concluded PMR and put me on prednisone and almost immediately all my symptoms disappeared.

Don't know what your pain is due to, but it seems quite similar to my experience