Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How Do You Stay Motivated? How Can I?

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm kind of in a hurry right now but figured I'd start this thread before I leave for class.

How do you stay motivated? What keeps you going to the gym every day? How do you keep from getting lazy?

I have two things that keep derailing me.

The first is that I'm not seeing any results. Now I know that results come very slowly and are hard fought, but no matter how much I tell myself that it doesn't help from the attitude I have as a result: a feeling of pointlessness, and it being a waste of time. I'm currently 165-170 lbs, and the last time I was able to get that down to 155 was with a ton of very hard work, and it returned shortly afterward. It now seems I can't even get down to 160; no matter how hard I try my weight doesn't go down. It doesn't look as if I'm building muscle, either.

I know in my head that if I keep going to the gym as often as I was that I will see results, but again this doesn't seem to affect my overall attitude or feeling that it's pointless because I haven't seen much.

The second problem is that I just don't care. I'll tell myself that I look fine the way I am, and that I can pull girls how I look so it doesn't really matter if I look better even if I'm able to improve my looks by working out, and if that's the case then I'm going through a whole lot of trouble for very little gain.

I guess I need some help changing my mindset about working out, or a kick in the ass or something. Also some tips on my routine (which can be found here) would be appreciated. Anything that could help show results sooner.

Oh yeah, one more thing. It feels like I'm barely at the gym and like I could be doing a ton more that I'm not. Maybe it's because I just picked the beginner's plan, but how could I add to it so I feel more accomplished and to help improve?

Don Israel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure this won't answer your question completely but here's a quick tip i can mention real fast :

If possible, get a picture of you when you 'weren't really working out' and compare it to a picture of you at your fittest level/shape.

...you won't ever wanna go back

Bottom line, as long as you progress on a regular basis, your on the right path...For now anyway (because you can always improve your progress). Keep us posted on your fitness goals, diet and if you've reached any of your smaller short-term goals and whatnot. This forum as more tips than a naked waitress.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If possible, get a picture of you when you 'weren't really working out' and compare it to a picture of you at your fittest level/shape.

...you won't ever wanna go back
I don't really have a picture of before, and if I do then I can't really tell because I don't look that different. Maybe that's just me, though.

I've decided to do weigh-in's and measurements monthly instead of weekly, as that way I'm less pressed for results and any results I do have will be more significant.

I'm also going to start a dedicated workout journal in a notebook. The one started in this forum doesn't seem to work for me; it helps for me to physically write down my progress instead of typing it, I guess, and being able to bring it to the gym with me. Meh, we'll see how much that helps.

Bottom line, as long as you progress on a regular basis, your on the right path...For now anyway (because you can always improve your progress). Keep us posted on your fitness goals, diet and if you've reached any of your smaller short-term goals and whatnot. This forum as more tips than a naked waitress.
I guess that's another problem. I don't really have any specific goals besides "look better". The only specific goal I set was 10% bodyfat because I wanted to get rid of my lovehandles (they're not big at all but that seems to be where most of my bodyfat goes) and get a sixpack. Other than that I don't really have any goals. What kind of goals should I have?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why don't you just shoot for the standard 315 lb bench, 405 squat and 500 deadlift. Get to those weight ranges with low body fat and you'll look pretty good, and more importantly you'll be very strong.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Why don't you just shoot for the standard 315 lb bench, 405 squat and 500 deadlift. Get to those weight ranges with low body fat and you'll look pretty good, and more importantly you'll be very strong.
Love this response! If you're functionally strong, athletic and lean, you'll look good. Those strength standards also give you something concrete to reach for.

Oppa

Don Juan
Reaction score
I look at before & after pics.

There's a pic forums at bodybuilding.com that documents fat people losing weight or skinny people gaining mass.

Crazy gains and losses. Insane motivation.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My current stats-

Bench - 120lb
Squat - 155lb
Deadlift - 220lb

Kerpal said:
Why don't you just shoot for the standard 315 lb bench, 405 squat and 500 deadlift.
The different between those two sets of numbers is what keeps me motivated :up:

More generally, motivation should come from the difference between what you would look like and be capable off in your ideal state, and your current state.

If you have been going to the gym for ages and are seeing no progress, you are doing something WRONG.
Either eating the wrong foods, or working out in a way that is badly suited to you, or at the wrong intensity.

Cure.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Why don't you just shoot for the standard 315 lb bench, 405 squat and 500 deadlift.
Aren't these a little far off. Shouldn't I choose goals that are a bit more...attainable?

shock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
He just means to shoot for a long-term goal within particular lifts that you can shoot for. As Fuglydude said, if you're functionally strong and able to put up these numbers you're going to see results.

A lot of people have a tough time staying on track, with the mindset of "I want to look good" ... What defines "good"? You? A girl you're into? By changing your goals to that of a strength goal, ex: "I want to bench 285 in 6 months", I think it allows you to chart your progress with something more tangible; in this case a number.

Set your goal, and while reaching it you will obtain the physical benefits that come with it.. If you're DL'ing 500Lbs, you're body is going to show it...

Numbers give you something to really analyze, and talk about.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess those numbers seem unattainable to me because of where I'm currently at (bench 130 and squat 160, never tried deadlifts).

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
I guess those numbers seem unattainable to me because of where I'm currently at (bench 130 and squat 160, never tried deadlifts).
Not nessecarily unobtainable mate, just very difficult to obtain and dependant on genetics, needing years of dedicated lifting and ideal diet.
If it were easy, and every guy could bench 300, it would be pointless! I dont think Ill EVER bench 300lb, and my athletic goals dont call for me to be able to lift that much, but its still a target to shoot for.

Set yourself short term goals as well, for example one of my current goals is to be able to bench my own body weight, which will require hard work but is definatly obtainable, when I hit that, Ill set a new target of benching 100kg.

Any impossible task can be divided into a series of incredibly difficult tasks, which can then be further subdivided into a number of hard tasks, and so on and so forth untill you are dealing with small, manageable goals which all add up to your long term aim.

Cure.

muscleman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't read through this whole thing, but here's what I do to keep myself motivated 110%.

You need short, medium, and long term goals. For me:

Short term goal = setting at least 1 new personal record on at least 1 exercise every workout.

Medium term goal = monthly before/after pictures, weigh in, waist measurements, etc.

Long term goal = checking my progress every half year or so and comparing to the body/strength I want to ultimately achieve.

Keeping a log & PR spreadsheet goes a LONG way for motivation. The results are there, you just have to quantify and record them.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
Aren't these a little far off. Shouldn't I choose goals that are a bit more...attainable?
JLay87 said:
All the more reason to get started now. I believe those numbers are attainable for most male trainees with at least average genetics, good programming and good nutrition. It could take years though, depending on genetics.

So these are long term goals, but for now why don't you get on a good program like Starting Strength and just make it your short term goal to add 5 lbs to your weights each workout. You will be amazed how fast your strength will increase, and it will improve your motivation.

PS - I just realized I meant to say 300 lb bench, 400 lb squat and 500 lb deadlift, not 315/405/500. So that's a little less work for you :)

muscleman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
If you train consistently with a goal of reaching these numbers you can get there in 2-3 years. I went from b/s/d of 150/150/150 to 250/320/410 in about a year, full ROM, no straps/belts/gloves, no juice or any of that. I was extremely dedicated though - that's where the main difference is.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The 3-4-5 for the big lifts as I call it.... is a VERY achievable goal for most people. It just takes time and dedication.

One of my ultimate goals is to do 1500+ for the big 3, so it's more like a 4-5-6... yikes... :eek:

Muscleman made some great points having short, medium and long range goals. Life will always throw obstacles at you that will prevent you from achieving your goals. A great test of a man's character is how he rises up and fights through these challenges to get to where he wants to be. Lifting heavy, and being disciplined enough to live a fitness-oriented lifestyle will have great positive effects on other areas of your life.

Having something to train FOR definitely helps. Whether this is a strength goal as highlighted above, or a photoshoot or athletic endeavor.

Finally, I think enjoying training for its simple intrinsic value is a huge motivator. To me, there's something innately pleasurable about picking up a big piece of metal just for shhits and giggles!

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
there's something innately pleasurable about picking up a big piece of metal just for shhits and giggles!
yep! :up:

Cure.

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have the same problem, though its mostly my diet that suffers. I will always get the workouts in but find it hard to keep stuffing in the protein for weeks on end, especially when I love to party and constantly have bad hangovers!

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the tips. I guess I always knew that I should be setting concrete goals but either dismissed it or excused it away by saying that I'd do it once I got into the habit of working out regularly; the opposite is obviously what I need to do (i.e. set goals so I start to work out regularly).

So I just bought a notebook and I'm going to be setting up a routine and some goals (big and small).

Also, could you guys address this part of my post:

I guess I need some help changing my mindset about working out, or a kick in the ass or something. Also some tips on my routine (which can be found here) would be appreciated. Anything that could help show results sooner.

Oh yeah, one more thing. It feels like I'm barely at the gym and like I could be doing a ton more that I'm not. Maybe it's because I just picked the beginner's plan, but how could I add to it so I feel more accomplished and to help improve?
I'm basically looking to how I can add to my workout to feel more accomplished and to see more results faster. Any tips are appreciated.

Rampage1 said:
I have the same problem, though its mostly my diet that suffers. I will always get the workouts in but find it hard to keep stuffing in the protein for weeks on end, especially when I love to party and constantly have bad hangovers!
Haha I know how that is. I usually go out about twice a week nowadays. The best way to prevent hangovers is to get in the habit of drinking water before going to bed. It took me a while (because it's hard to train yourself to do stuff when you're drunk), but now whenever I go out drinking I pound at least one (usually two) large glasses of water right before I go to bed. At the bar I'll also have water in between every few beers.

My problem is drunk binge eating; I've been known to eat a LOT when I drink, which sucks. But I don't get how partying has to do with eating protein. What do you mean by that?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You said you've never tried deadlifts, but your routine includes deadlifts :confused:

Drop that program and get a copy of Starting Strength. Read it and follow it to the letter. DO NOT just read the write-up on Bodybuilding.com, which isn't even the true program. GET THE BOOK.

The reason your workouts seem easy is because you're weak. When your weights get heavier the workouts will get a lot harder. As a beginner you don't need a really complicated program that takes hours in the gym. You just need to get your squat, deadlift and presses up.