How Do You Stay Motivated? How Can I?

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You said you've never tried deadlifts, but your routine includes deadlifts
Yeah, about that...

(I've had trouble motivating myself to get to the gym on Fridays, hah. Which will definitely change now)

Drop that program and get a copy of Starting Strength. Read it and follow it to the letter. DO NOT just read the write-up on Bodybuilding.com, which isn't even the true program. GET THE BOOK.
Why?

The reason your workouts seem easy is because you're weak.
It's not that they seem easy; it's that I don't feel like they're giving me any results.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
The book explains how to do each exercise with good form in detail and it explains not only HOW to train, but WHY to train that way.

The Starting Strength program is superior to the one you're doing now. You will get stronger much faster on that program because you will be squatting 3x a week, deadlifting 1-2 times a week, benching 1-2 times a week and overhead pressing 1-2 times a week. Compare to your program where you only do each lift once a week.

As a beginner, you can train each big lift more than once a week and add weight each time, which is the fastest way to progress, and there's no reason not to progress as fast as possible. This will also keep your motivation up.

It's not that they seem easy; it's that I don't feel like they're giving me any results.
I just read your log. You've only recorded 4 workouts there, and you skipped a bunch of workouts. It takes a hell of a lot longer than 4 workouts to see results. Get the book, read it, put your mirrors, tape measure and scale away, follow the Starting Strength program for 4 MONTHS, and then check your results.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The book explains how to do each exercise with good form in detail and it explains not only HOW to train, but WHY to train that way.

The Starting Strength program is superior to the one you're doing now. You will get stronger much faster on that program because you will be squatting 3x a week, deadlifting 1-2 times a week, benching 1-2 times a week and overhead pressing 1-2 times a week. Compare to your program where you only do each lift once a week.

As a beginner, you can train each big lift more than once a week and add weight each time, which is the fastest way to progress, and there's no reason not to progress as fast as possible. This will also keep your motivation up.
Is this the book you're talking about?

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ordered. I hope it's worth it, as you and everyone that's reviewed it on Amazon thinks it is. :)

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I will second how awesome the book is.

Very glad I followed kerpals reccomendation!

Cure.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If my squat was 350 last week then my motivation currently is to get 352 this week. I like bigger numbers better than little numbers. 352 is bigger than 350.

Long term goals simply aren't as effective as short term goals. People lose their way. I have no idea when my squat will be 405, but a couple lbs at a time will get it there.

Kerpal said:
Compare to your program where you only do each lift once a week.
What does that have to do with anything?

Some people are better doing lifts more often and some aren't.

I'm doing each powerlift plus the press once every 9 days and it's going just peachy. Squats 3x a week was just fine when I squatting 165.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
What does that have to do with anything?

Some people are better doing lifts more often and some aren't.

I'm doing each powerlift plus the press once every 9 days and it's going just peachy. Squats 3x a week was just fine when I squatting 165.
JLay87 said:
I guess those numbers seem unattainable to me because of where I'm currently at (bench 130 and squat 160, never tried deadlifts).
Kerpal said:
As a beginner, you can train each big lift more than once a week and add weight each time, which is the fastest way to progress, and there's no reason not to progress as fast as possible.

Jmiah

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys buy protein and stuff at the vitamin stores? I'm underweight and really want to gain weight and muscle but idk the best way to go about doing that.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can buy whey protein but I only have it on hand for when I don't have time to prepare food after a work out. Otherwise I'll have a bunch of milk and/or a tuna sandwich.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha "do you buy protein at the vitamin store?"

Hop on your bicycle with $50 in your pocket and a backpack on. Go to your nearest big supermarket and stock up on 2kgs of chicken breast, 2kgs of lean ground beef or steak, 1kg of some other random meat, 48 eggs, 10 cans of tuna, olive oil, fish oil, butter, coconut oil, 1 kg of fresh veggies, 1 kg of frozen veggies, some fruit, plain rolled oats, 1kg brown rice.

Repeat each week.

There is your protein + fillers, no vitamin store needed.