Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How do you reach the point where you see your boss as just another person?

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
For some people, being overly cautious of what their boss thinks makes them work harder.

Not me.. and that has a lot to do with my general paranoia involving authority and what they say vs what they mean.

My ideal "workplace archetype," if you will, is that guy who always seems to be two seconds away from getting fired despite doing exceptionally good work.

Bosses hate him.. are frustrated that they can't seem to fully control him, but they keep him around because he gets **** done.

That's who I want to be, but I don't know what goes into it, on top of being a little scared to be that guy (hence the question title).

If you were that guy, tell me the formula.

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're asking to be the hated rock star, which is by far and away the most demanding and challenging archetype. Why you would consciously try to be this person is confusing, since you would be continuously putting your job on the line for the sake of a perception, rather than simply following where your passion pulls you.

You don't train for such a role, you simply fall into it by working your as$ off and becoming hot shiit, then realizing you're hot shiit and leveraging that to your advantage at the risk of losing all the progress you've made at the company. You also risk being blacklisted from other companies for being 'hard to work with', but the importance of that will depend on the field and your expertise.

Regular rock stars are more valuable than this type, and are typically given more autonomy (no direct manager), so I have to ask, wtf draws you to something so subpar?

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
You're asking to be the hated rock star, which is by far and away the most demanding and challenging archetype. Why you would consciously try to be this person is confusing, since you would be continuously putting your job on the line for the sake of a perception, rather than simply following where your passion pulls you.

You don't train for such a role, you simply fall into it by working your as$ off and becoming hot shiit, then realizing you're hot shiit and leveraging that to your advantage at the risk of losing all the progress you've made at the company. You also risk being blacklisted from other companies for being 'hard to work with', but the importance of that will depend on the field and your expertise.

Regular rock stars are more valuable than this type, and are typically given more autonomy (no direct manager), so I have to ask, wtf draws you to something so subpar?
What motivates me to be this person?
The contradiction between my distain for workplace politics and my enjoyment of being competent.

I want to be competent.. but I also want to make it clear to those around me that I'm competent for myself and not the people above.

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What motivates me to be this person?
The contradiction between my distain for workplace politics and my enjoyment of being competent.

I want to be competent.. but I also want to make it clear to those around me that I'm competent for myself and not the people above.
The people above already know this because they sign your paychecks. You do the job for money, which implies it's not for anyone but you.

You're overthinking it, let the work speak for itself. Once you know your job inside and out, then you're valuable in the marketplace and can get away with more diick swinging or whatever you feel like doing.

Usually the geniuses are borderline savants; extremely talented in the area required due to an insane obsession, but lacking in other areas like communication or sociability.

Remember, it's really none of your business what people think about you.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
The people above already know this because they sign your paychecks. You do the job for money, which implies it's not for anyone but you.

You're overthinking it, let the work speak for itself. Once you know your job inside and out, then you're valuable in the marketplace and can get away with more diick swinging or whatever you feel like doing.

Usually the geniuses are borderline savants; extremely talented in the area required due to an insane obsession, but lacking in other areas like communication or sociability.

No they absolutely don't "know this." Are you kidding me right now?

Workers exist to make the people above them feel powerful and to satisfy ego. What you're describing is lip-service they give you.

EDIT: If what people think of me causes them to treat me like ass, yes that's my business.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To answer your question OP, imagine them taking a nasty, smelly ****.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
Also if I were to act on this mentality, I would have hurt my boss by now so go on keep telling me things that'll get me fired. Please.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For some people, being overly cautious of what their boss thinks makes them work harder.

Not me.. and that has a lot to do with my general paranoia involving authority and what they say vs what they mean.

My ideal "workplace archetype," if you will, is that guy who always seems to be two seconds away from getting fired despite doing exceptionally good work.

Bosses hate him.. are frustrated that they can't seem to fully control him, but they keep him around because he gets **** done.

That's who I want to be, but I don't know what goes into it, on top of being a little scared to be that guy (hence the question title).

If you were that guy, tell me the formula.
You need to have multiple streams of income which then feeds your mentality of "I don't really need this job so I don't give a fvck about".
When you are no longer dependent of your boss for your daily living then this happens. The you can come about on your job and get **** done, but they will also notice that you are not begging them to work for them. So they might need you more that you do.

All relationships are like this by the way. It is always the person that need the other person less that are in control and have the power, very so in the game of picking up girls and having relationships with them.

When girls need you more then you do then they will hunt and pursue you and do nice things for you.
This is I suppose also why women leave their guys when the tables are turned by for example that the guy losing his job, becoming a simpy and needy person etc.

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No they absolutely don't "know this." Are you kidding me right now?

Workers exist to make the people above them feel powerful and to satisfy ego. What you're describing is lip-service they give you.

EDIT: If what people think of me causes them to treat me like ass, yes that's my business.
Workers exist because it's economically more efficient and allows the business to scale. If you sense that's not the case then why are you working there?

So you're telling me that your bosses or the owners of the company, the ones that write your checks, think you do the job for something other than money? Please explain.

A job is a contract, you perform x work for y pay, which is completely on your own volition. You make it sound like you can't quit, so your skills must not be very marketable yet, or maybe you're just afraid to.

Also if I were to act on this mentality, I would have hurt my boss by now so go on keep telling me things that'll get me fired. Please.
So let me get this straight, you took a job that you hate? Then why the fuuck did you take it? Or if you found out after joining, why the fuuck are you still there? Why not quit and find a company where you're treated better or ask for a rate that is fair for the working conditions? If again, you have no marketable skills, then either suck it up until you do, or hop ship anyway until you find bosses that respect your position.

If you're fantasizing about hurting your boss then ask for a new one or fuucking quit, you can't force them to treat you better and it's not worth your mental health at that point. You clearly can't do the job without taking things personally, so maybe you're in the wrong field entirely, or again have little to no marketable skills. You don't have to love your job every day because it's not a place you go to talk about your feelings. You do the work to get money, that's it, anything else is a bonus.

It's funny, you're asking how to have this idgaf mindset, here I am explaining it to you in plain english, and rather than come back with more questions you dismiss it because it doesn't immediately make sense and fit some projection of what you want the answer to be. I'll give you another chance but so far seems like you're desperately seeking confirmation, not genuinely asking for advice.

When I say you that what others think is none of your business, I mean that you should maintain your self respect and focus your energy on things directly in your control. Isn't that the entire point of your strategy here? To make your bosses realize you do it for the opportunities the work brings, and not for them? What better way to do that than to focus all your energy on the task at hand and getting shiit done? If your boss isn't conducive to that and you feel they waste your time on purpose, then express your discontent and maintain your self respect by leaving and going somewhere where your boss will be happy to get out of your way.

Last edited:

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
Workers exist because it's economically more efficient and allows the business to scale. If you sense that's not the case then why are you working there?

So you're telling me that your bosses or the owners of the company, the ones that write your checks, think you do the job for something other than money? Please explain.

A job is a contract, you perform x work for y pay, which is completely on your own volition. You make it sound like you can't quit, so your skills must not be very marketable yet, or maybe you're just afraid to.

So let me get this straight, you took a job that you hate? Then why the fuuck did you take it? Or if you found out after joining, why the fuuck are you still there? Why not quit and find a company where you're treated better or ask for a rate that is fair for the working conditions? If again, you have no marketable skills, then either suck it up until you do, or hop ship anyway until you find bosses that respect your position.

If you're fantasizing about hurting your boss then ask for a new one or fuucking quit, you can't force them to treat you better and it's not worth your mental health at that point. You clearly can't do the job without taking things personally, so maybe you're in the wrong field entirely, or again have little to no marketable skills. You don't have to love your job every day because it's not a place you go to talk about your feelings. You do the work to get money, that's it, anything else is a bonus.

It's funny, you're asking how to have this idgaf mindset, here I am explaining it to you in plain english, and rather than come back with more questions you dismiss it because it doesn't immediately make sense and fit some projection of what you want the answer to be. I'll give you another chance but so far seems like you're desperately seeking confirmation, not genuinely asking for advice.

When I say you that what others think is none of your business, I mean that you should maintain your self respect and focus your energy on things directly in your control. Isn't that the entire point of your strategy here? To make your bosses realize you do it for the opportunities the work brings, and not for them? What better way to do that than to focus all your energy on the task at hand and getting shiit done? If your boss isn't conducive to that and you feel they waste your time on purpose, then express your discontent and maintain your self respect by leaving and going somewhere where your boss will be happy to get out of your way.
Easy. People who get into managerial positions don't just do their jobs for money. They do their jobs in order to feel useful to society and feel like they're doing a "duty." Therefore they expect the people below them to feel the same way.

Are we done living in imagination land now?

Now as for the rest of your novel. For the past year, quitting jobs I don't like is all I've BEEN doing, to the point where I'm damn near blacklisted at the moment. I can't afford to do the same with this one.

DoubleBarrel

Banned
Reaction score
Easy. People who get into managerial positions don't just do their jobs for money. They do their jobs in order to feel useful to society and feel like they're doing a "duty." Therefore they expect the people below them to feel the same way.

Are we done living in imagination land now?

Now as for the rest of your novel. For the past year, quitting jobs I don't like is all I've BEEN doing, to the point where I'm damn near blacklisted at the moment. I can't afford to do the same with this one.
@Veréngárda, you have an extremely negative and toxic attitude. As a cure, I would recommend studying Napoleon Hill, especially "Think and Grow Rich". Oh, and take some Alexander Technique lessons, for Christ's sake! I doubt you have the commitment to follow-through on these suggestions, as complaining, griping b!tches usually don't, but if you do, your world will change from misery to magic. You will look back and recognize what a foolish wretch you used to be.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP isn't this just a matter of being exceptionally good at your job so that you're irreplaceable? If you're good at it now, focus on getting better.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
@Veréngárda, you have an extremely negative and toxic attitude. As a cure, I would recommend studying Napoleon Hill, especially "Think and Grow Rich". Oh, and take some Alexander Technique lessons, for Christ's sake! I doubt you have the commitment to follow-through on these suggestions, as complaining, griping b!tches usually don't, but if you do, your world will change from misery to magic. You will look back and recognize what a foolish wretch you used to be.
Sounds like the kind of book that tells you to tolerate tons of bs in the hopes of getting rich. Not my style.

OP isn't this just a matter of being exceptionally good at your job so that you're irreplaceable? If you're good at it now, focus on getting better.
That's certainly the first step and a big part of this. The second would be effectively taking advantage of my importance and developing the mindset to do so.

M

member160292

OP, I saw they opened up a Chevron across the street from you. Maybe you can get you boss to change his ways or tell him you’ll be working for a competitor

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People get into managerial positions for all sorts of reasons, and usually they're given those positions because they show more responsibility and better communication skills than their peers. Lots of people seek purpose in their work, and having people that are passionate about what they do is always a huge plus, to both the employee and the business owner. You seem too caught up in your feelings to focus on a productive endeavor.

Lol novel, you must not read much.
One day hopefully you'll see that your perspective and attitude determines your trajectory more than anything. Believe the world conspires against you, and it does. Believe the world is full of hope and opportunity, and it is. Whatever attitude you put out, people pick up on it and play along.

If my messages don't resonate with you, then you have yet to bounce off the bottom. Good luck.

thermodynamic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You realize your boss is not that smart and that there is really nothing so special about most people. I am rarely impressed with someone.

Also, fundamentally speaking, you need to not care if you get fired or not. Then you can do what you were asking about - being the guy that pushes the limit of being fired.

Last edited:

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Workers exist to make the people above them feel powerful and to satisfy ego.
This is pure projection on your part. It isn't true, but it does speak volumes about how you see the world.

Why do you even work for an employer at this point? If you hate authority so much, you should start your own business. Although you'd probably drive away all the customers by arguing with them about how you're right and they're wrong.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
This is pure projection on your part. It isn't true, but it does speak volumes about how you see the world.

Why do you even work for an employer at this point? If you hate authority so much, you should start your own business. Although you'd probably drive away all the customers by arguing with them about how you're right and they're wrong.
Because starting a business only works when you already have money..
.. also when you're pathetic enough to tell the customer they're right.

Next on the list of "common half-assed advice that doesn't actually mean anything."

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because starting a business only works when you already have money..
.. also when you're pathetic enough to tell the customer they're right.
This is a cope. There are teenagers who start successful businesses painting houses. Starting a business for the first time when you have a lot of money is a great way to lose a lot of money, especially when you're incapable of listening to anything except what you want to hear. Another great way to lose money is to argue with people who want to pay you money, because you think you know better than them. Even IF you're right, and what they want to do is stupid and/or wrong, they'll just walk and go to whoever will do what they want.

For the record, I actually appreciate your contempt for authority. I think most are completely lacking it, which leads to so many of them being mindless sheep. But your outlook on power dynamics approaches postmodern/marxist levels of cynicism.

There are no shortcuts in life.