How can I get some color safely?

leoncour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know how to get a tan safely. And I don't want to look like a hot dog, but rather gain a little color. Should I use a low-spf sunblock lotion and stay outside for a while? What can I do without getting skin cancer? Thanks!

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sit in the sun.

Reaction score
spf 8 should be fine, if you have sensitive skin, then spf 16...stay outside for an hour or two...2-3 times a week

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The safest way to tan is with a high quality tanning bed (so don't go to the $3 tan place). There are two types of UV rays and one is much more harmful than the other. Tanning beds can actually reduce the amount of the more harmful ray so you're getting less than if you went out into the sun.

If you want to go out into the sun to tan, don't use sunblock. "Tanning lotion" with low SPF is a marketing ploy. You're much better off sitting in the sun for 10 to 30 minutes without sunblock (depending on your sensitivity), and then going inside or putting on 35+ SPF.

Tan every 2 or 3 days until you get the color you want, then go once a week to maintain it.

Do a search on this forum. There's already lots of tanning advice.

leoncour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have any evidence that this is a safe method, shiftkey? I thought that you should never expose yourself for a long period of time without sunblock.

Rocko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shiftkey, are you kidding? First off, there is UV A, B, and C. The one that is blocked off the most, and is the most harmful to us, is UV C. UV C is what is used in ALL tanning beds, and seeing as how its direct exposure, it messes you up. Sun tanning is fine if you use sunscreen, read about it

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought that you should never expose yourself for a long period of time without sunblock.
ANY sun is dangerous. Tanning is dangerous. And wearing sunblock is counter productive to tanning. You get tanned from the sun; where is the logic in blocking it if you want a tan? I don't consider 10 to 30 minutes a long period of time.

I'm not going to write an essay on it - I've written plenty on it in past posts if you want to do a search. If you don't want to believe me, fine. I'm not going to spend hours putting together a collection of biased links when some other jackass will do the same thing to counter my links. There's plenty of opinion on both sides, and all of it is funded by some company.

Rocko, I've read plenty. I'm not talking out of my ass.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like tanning beds because I hate tan lines. So do my ladies. They're very fond of my overall color ;)

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rocko said:
Shiftkey, are you kidding? First off, there is UV A, B, and C. The one that is blocked off the most, and is the most harmful to us, is UV C. UV C is what is used in ALL tanning beds, and seeing as how its direct exposure, it messes you up. Sun tanning is fine if you use sunscreen, read about it
UVC has almost no effect on skin whatsoever. UVA is the most harmful of the types of radiation because it is the most significant factor in the development of melanoma.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tanning beds (high quality) are probably the safest way to go, if you've got the money. Been going every now and then to keep my color nice and girls have been giving me compliments left and right. The key is don't go too drastic, cause thats when they know you've been tanning :)

El Don

Don Juan
Reaction score
How much usually does a high quiality tanning bed place charge?

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ashley Lynns charges 20 bucks/ month for unlimited tanning. As long as you don't put in a 30 minute session (then they charge like a dollar)

I was going for about 20 minutes before i got put on house arrest.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to a $2 place just to look around. Take note of how it's decorated, talk to the person at the front desk and see how informed they are. Ask what kind of beds they have. Then go to a tanning place that doesn't advertize it's prices in neon lights and see the difference. Generally you can tell the quality of the place by how it's kept, how well trained the employees are, and whether or not they feature different kinds of beds. When I used to tan I went to a place with about 6 different types of fancy beds (and stand ups). The staff could tell me which beds had the least harmful UV, and at exactly what percentages - a minimum wage teenager at a $2 place wouldn't give a sh1t. The store was well decorated, and the rooms were actual rooms and not just cubicles.

It was over a year ago, but I think I was paying around 30 a month for unlimited for the middle quality beds they offered. I'm sure prices vary from place to place, and in different cities.

Taviii

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats with all the sun beds and sh!t? I always loved to go out and stay without a shirt, and so I got a nice color every year.

Also all my friends and family do the same thing and I never heard of someone getting skin cancer. I think all this stuff is made up by the people that make lotions and sh!t.

Anyways I wouldn't give up picnics and going for swims for anything in the world, because they are the most fun things to do, so instead of giving 30$ for sitting in a machine with blue light in it I'll better buy some drinks get a ball and go out in the nature and get a sexy natural tan.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skin cancer is real, but the way everybody talks about it, its like it's an epedemic or something. How many people do you know have skin cancer? I know none. I know a lot of people that used to work in lawn service, spending up to 10 hours a day in the sun, 5-6 days a week. No skin cancer. Skin cancer is probably just as dependent on genetics as most other types of cancer. Lung Cancer seems to be the only cancer I know of that can be caused by something other than genetics.

I'm speaking on experimental probability and not theoretical, which is the most realistic way to go.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Taviii said:
....and get a sexy natural tan.

That my friend, is why you will have your woman laughing when you bang her with your pale white ass and your dark tanned torso :woo:

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Skin cancer is real, but the way everybody talks about it, its like it's an epedemic or something. How many people do you know have skin cancer? I know none. I know a lot of people that used to work in lawn service, spending up to 10 hours a day in the sun, 5-6 days a week. No skin cancer. Skin cancer is probably just as dependent on genetics as most other types of cancer. Lung Cancer seems to be the only cancer I know of that can be caused by something other than genetics.

I'm speaking on experimental probability and not theoretical, which is the most realistic way to go.
lmao, you mean anecdotal "evidence." If you think that just because YOU do not know people who have been diagnosed with skin cancer, and that's the "most realistic" evidence that it's not a risk, you're a fool.

I wouldn't be surprised if those people you know have never been to a doctor for a mole check to even see if they have skin cancer. Skin cancer is not like chicken pox - you cannot tell you have it until it's too late without a doctor.